Who is running destiny? I used to think of this only in a religious sense, but then, I've heard atheists say this, as well as people who don't take a deity seriously in any other way. Yet, when talking about possibilities, they solidly assert that something that is meant to be will occur. That believing in it, even if it isn't something you yourself cause to happen in another way, can make things occur. I guess what I'm asking is, if not God, then what do you believe to be the power behind the culmination of "what is meant to be"?
Vessa Vessa 41-45, F 9 Answers Nov 29, 2012 in Community

I have no idea. I believe a way that is not of a common nature, yet is the most earthly of all religions.

Best Answer

meant to be is something people say to either uplift themselves when the outcome is negative or romanticize something positive. Destiny is an idea, in reality events, occurences, or paths crossed are just a product of choices we make that sometimes put us in pleasant/unpleasant instances with the product of other peoples choices. Perhaps it is in our nature but ppl seem to have a need to believe in something bigger than us whether it be god or destiny etc. I believe we create our life by choices we make and are at times impacted by the choice of others and it is up to the individual to create a life according to their idea of happiness or what they want for themselves.

Best Answer

I get that people want to feel the comfort that what happens is supposed to happen. Be that things that happen to us personally due to choices or natural disasters and birth defects. It seems we have the need to feel there is something "intentional" at work in the universe. So I'm wondering what atheists believe the source of that intent is.

Best Answer

That's is ur answer. Atheists do not believe in anything bigger, in divine beings or the universe working to impact our lives. To an atheist there is nothing more that what is here and what we are. Cause and effect and nothing more. If u are trying to find something deeper in terms of bigger than us, u won't find it from an atheist.

Best Answer

Some atheists still seem to have a sense of "destiny".

Best Answer

I don't think it is a 'who'. It means destiny (which I don't happen to believe in).

Best Answer

That's the thing....what do they see as being the catalyst or stimulus for the culmination of destiny? Some sort of law of nature or universal energy?

Best Answer

I believe people who say it just mean that something feels right.

Best Answer

I think that can be the case much of the time. Like gut or instinct- a sense of something being inevitable without knowing what it is that makes them feel that way. And almost never looking deeper.

Best Answer

Yes, gut-feel. That's the best description of it I think. It's true for me.

Best Answer

I believe that God is so much bigger than any of us can imagine.

Best Answer

I agree. I am wondering what folks who aren't believers mean when they say, "meant to be".

Best Answer

That its in Gods hands. He expects us to fall so he may catch us.

Best Answer

I believe God writes our destiny; so when they say it's meant to be, that means they already supposed to happen.

Best Answer

I get what folks mean from a religious perspective. I'm confused by folks who solidly believe in destiny, yet who don't believe in a god who is behind it.

Best Answer

It just means people like to think everything is planned.

Best Answer

Even if they don't necessarily believe in the planner?

Best Answer

We're all humans, we all tell ourselves sweet stories to sleep.

Best Answer

So they say it but don't necessarily believe in it. I suppose that's common enough.

Best Answer

It can mean, although using superstitious language, that the necessary elements for it to work were not there.

Best Answer