I live in a town house And they want my dogs locked up for 8 hours a day for a week b/c they have a " contractor" coming in and can't give a acctual date and they want the dogs in a kennal
SLTJ SLTJ 22-25, F 7 Answers Jul 18, 2012

No fricken way that is so mean..

Best Answer

I just read you questions and the answers and wanted to put in an extra two cents.

The liability issue is why they're having you crate up your dog. And it is a reasonable requirement. If they required it ALL the time that would be different, I'd move.

On the note of everyone thinking keeping a dog in an apartment when you work a job borders on animal cruelty, that's just stupid. If you have your dog trained to where you can leave it out in your apartment all day there's not that much difference than when you are at home, other than not as much company. And if you do have to kennel your dog a well trained dog views his/her kennel as a safe place, like your bedroom when you were a kid. Through in a chew toy, preferably stuffed with a few treats, and they'll be golden until you get home. Take them on their walks to do their business etc. and get them some exercise and play with them for awhile and they'll be just fine. A well adjusted dog can hold it until you get home from work as long as you took them out right before you left. I'm not saying it's best but people shouldn't try and deny those who live in apartments the joys of a pet and call them cruel for crating them while at work. One of my friends who has an apartment takes better care and has a more adjusted dog than my brother who has a whole farm for his dogs to run on.

Best Answer

Thank you for reading all of it. I don't work I stay at home taking care of everyone and the pets and they know that that but still will not come into my home inless I'm home and my dogs are locked up its gotten to the point where we do our own repairs when there needed I asked b/c I was wondering if I was over reacting o er having to constanly lock them up or if maybe I should think about moving. I just don't like listening to them cry when I lock them up b/c they think they did something wrong when they get locked up

Best Answer

Yeah I understand that, you might want to try crate training them to like their crates, put them in for short times with treats etc. then when they're quiet get them out and tell them what good dogs they are etc.
Might work might not, every dog responds differently.

Best Answer

It's a liability issue. The worst dog bite I have ever had was from one of those dogs that "don't bite, just bark a lot at strangers". The owner has liabilities and he is protecting himself.

Best Answer

Thanks never thought of it like that cuz I keep thinking what she gonna do kiss him to death but you have a point liability I don't need to be taken to Court for a dog bite

Best Answer

Cats are okay, but I don't understand apartment dwellers who have dogs...

Best Answer

I'm not a "appartment dweller" I live in a townhouse and dog gets 2 walks a day rain or shine even with having a yard

Best Answer

Not in the UK you dont.

Best Answer