are they assuming people are fools? Or? What could be the reason behind this? (I do not mean the cartoon characters, or widely known celebrities. No silly or rude answers please.)
angelicsmiles angelicsmiles 31-35, F 22 Answers Nov 28, 2012 in Community

Whatever someone chooses to use if is their personal choice. I think I have only asked a couple of people if it was really them and they were honest and said no.

Best Answer

Honestly I don't really think about it that much. And so far when curious and asked they have owned up to it not being them.

Best Answer

I think a lot of the time it's for deceit, to seem more attractive...which you can tell by the 'type' they put up. ; ) I'm sure there are some that just want to be anonymous. When it becomes wrong is when they tell people it is actually them, imo.

Best Answer

They have low self-esteem and want to see if they attract more or better people by pretending to be someone else.<br />
Until they realize that being themselves would be more attractive and of course more sustainable.

Best Answer

Recently, I met this guy who told me his ex wife had her own little "online life" going on for years. It was like she didn't want to live her own life, so she created one online. I can understand doing this for a month or so, to see what it's like. However, this woman had played out this other life, for at least 9 years, that he's aware of. 9 years she was an entirely different person, she even had a set of photos that weren't of herself. He said she wasn't trying to be malicious or attempting to fool people, she just wanted another life, because she could.

Best Answer

This is a completely different angle. A very thought provoking one. Leading a double life.

Best Answer

Well, you look like you're about 8 years-old in yours, so what are you trying to imply? :-)

Best Answer

That is obviously not me... you just have to look at my age bracket to realise that. Is that misleading?

Best Answer

That's what I mean. It says you're in your 30s, so the first thing I wonder is if that is your daughter or niece or if it's just some random picture you found on the Web. Either way, you picked it for a reason, so it says something about you... We just don't know what.

Best Answer

Whatever it says about me is a different issue. It is not me trying to pass this picture as mine. That is the question here, when people pass the fake pictures as themselves.

Best Answer

Then my answer is that it's funny usually. At least that's how I take it. I especially laugh at the ones where it's a guy and the avatar shows a sexy girl.

Best Answer

Are you trying to imply it isn't ME in my avi?

Best Answer

Never! I can tell thats you!

Best Answer

Thank goodness for that, I'm renowned for the trees growing out of me head!

Best Answer

You are special, after all. Lol.

Best Answer

An actual photo of the EPer, or not, I just assume it is whether I'm "fooled" or not isn't that important me personally. The reasons people "con" others can be simply for fun, such as providing a tease, or for more attention, all the way to lack of self-esteem and everything in between.

Best Answer

I asked a similar question a while back, I was painfully reminded of all the people suffering excess boredom on the Internet. It doesn't deter us one bit. My girl and I discovered EP together and made coinciding names. Now for being original and crafty we catch hell! Nonetheless, we don't need a haters validation. These dudes are probably just sad that they lay down at night alone, and I don't.

Best Answer

People just like to hide who they are; they like to put a mask on per say. Sometimes people wish they could change who they are so they make up a whole new person to be. A fantasy self. Some people just like to be stupid and try to play people.

Best Answer

I thought about using my high school picture because that was when I was hot and it wouldn't be a fake profile pic cuz it would have been me...just 35 yrs younger....lol j/k

Best Answer

Lol.. as long as you are putting up your right age, ppl would realise, that cant be you now, or simply, cant be you. It becomes a problem if you then say you are 18-21. :)

Best Answer

:)

Best Answer

I swear that cat really is me!<br />
I don't care whether people use fake pics or not. There are many reasons. A long time ago I did it myself because I just didn't want to be known. I wanted a completely different online persona, and of course I'd never have admitted it at the time or it would have ruined the magic. I eventually came clean after YEARS of using a doctored pic of a friend as my own. It turned out not to even be a big deal with them. I guess eight years of talking makes you more than what your pic looks like.

Best Answer

I would have loved to b a fly on the wall as u explained to your ex friend why her photo was plastered all over the Internet. Guess that never happened eh?

Best Answer

She knew the entire time and we're still best friends. Heck she is the one who fixed it up in photoshop.
Some people don't take internet message boards as seriously as we do. She also knew why I did it, but I didn't think it was important to explain here why it was necessary to hide my identity.

Best Answer

witness protection progam

Best Answer

maybe they arent aloud to show thyre face

Best Answer

Why not? Then why put up someone elses face?

Best Answer

idk about that but they could put up a cartoon pic idk about that others ppls faces

Best Answer

Many people here won't talk to you if you have one of those offered avatars.

Best Answer

Deceit

Best Answer

People have the right to put whatever they want. Some people put up stories here that they may not want some people to know about.<br />
Some don't do it to fool people but to hide their identity. Others do it to hide and troll. Those people are the ones that ruin things.

Best Answer

Is it still a right to pass of as someone else when that could be misleading and probably hurtful to the other?

Best Answer

No it's not right. But being online and meeting people you are taking a chance either way. There's good people here and there's a small percentage of bad people.

Best Answer

okay, thanks.

Best Answer