I anorexic and stopped having periods about 19 months ago - I'm 5ft6 and 7st5 (i was 6 1/2 so it's not like I haven't put weight back on) and I eat fairly normally now. The doctor said I might have to go on the pill but I don't want to. Is there anything else that might help?
laurabkora laurabkora 18-21, F 10 Answers Mar 21, 2009

Chinese medicine is excellent at normalizing menstrual periods. You might be blood deficient or yin deficient, and herbs and acupuncture can address the root cause. (Also helps with anorexia, if you still have problems.)

Best Answer

Continue to eat right, and iron intake is very important, so either eat plenty of LEAN red meat or take a supplement. If you are anxious to start having periods again for some odd reason, you could ask your doc a bout clomiphene citrate, a drug that stimulates ovulation, often used in treating older women for infertility. This drug is often responsible for multiple births... I believe it is often prescribed one pill per day for a week, and you will almost spontaneously ovulate. Plan on having a heavy period later, though. This would kick start your cycle.....

Best Answer

The medical term for your lack of menses is amenorrea. I'm so glad you've seen a doctor about this! PLEASE continue to go to the doctor.

It sounds like you still need to gain a wee bit of weight, though. The critical amount of body fat leading to amenorrhea is below 17%, while 22% is needed for regular menstrual cycles.

Also talk to your doctor about your bones--you're at a very increased risk of loss of bone density, which leads to osteoporosis. You should really ask your doctor about calcium supplements and strength-training to increase bone health. You only get one skeleton--take care of it!

Best Answer

Dong Quai is called female ginseng in Chinese medicine. This is very good for normalizing your hormones. Or if you can get the combination called "BaiWan" that includes, Dong Quai, red jujube and other Chinese herbs, this will start your period again. It comes in little black pills or in a chewable form with the texture of licorice.

Also, you can eat foods with plant (phyto) estrogens to help balance your hormones: soy beans, tofu, tempeh, soy beverages, linseed (flax), sesame seeds, wheat, berries, oats, barley, dried beans, lentils (dahl), rice, alfalfa, mung beans, apples, carrots, pomegranates, wheat germ, ricebran, soy linseed bread and yams.

Best Answer

i think that if your BMI is under 17.5 you are considered underweight to the point that it will affect your period. it sounds like your BMI is about 17 so maybe if you gain a few more pounds it will start to come back. you might want to remember what weight you were at when you started experiencing irregularities-- you might have to get back up to that weight. also it might take a few cycles for you to start ovulating again so it might not come back right away.

Best Answer

it depends on what type of cycle your on. look on your calandar and see what day your last one started. count from 28 up to 32after that. on day 28make a make and on day 32 make a mark. then whatever day it lands on or close to.

Best Answer

when i was 16/18 i was anorexic i went down to about 6st and stopped having periods for about 8 months. I cant say i really missed them or thought about them. But one day they just started again. I thinnk your body will do what it has to when it wants to!.

Best Answer

Listen to your doctor!

Nothing against E Pers but some things can't be

answered on E.P!..As Trails said, All bodies are different!

Best Answer

I knew of a friend that happend to and it took some time but she returned to normal Our bodies are different but they seem to heal themselves.I hope you take better care of yourfelf.Good luck!

Best Answer