babydool babydool 18-21 5 Answers Jan 4, 2013 in Community

Yes, this has happened to me. It felt like the bed tipped sideways while the rest of the room stayed the same. I suffer from sleep paralysis quite frequently. It comes in different forms; most people feel like they are being suffocated or there is someone in the room, but for me it feels like I can't draw a breath and I have a sensation of uncomfortable electric tingling all over. What happens is that the chemicals to shut down body movement during REM sleep are active, but your brain is conscious, resulting in a temporary, frightening, yet harmless state of paralysis. You may possibly have experienced the "vestibular-motor hallucination" form of SP, where you can feel like you're flying, floating or your posture has changed. This kind of body/balance hallucination is frequently associated with out-of-body experiences. If it happens again, don't panic, know that you're not crazy, and try to remember if it happens as you're falling asleep or upon waking. The timing of the episodes is important in how to treat it. Mostly, don't panic and don't fight and it will be over quickly.

Best Answer

Oh I completely understand and remember the look on the Dr's face looking at my sleep study amazed on my REM sleep timings

Best Answer

I've been doing a sleep study recently. I'm pretty sure I've seen the look you mean, if it's followed by, "Well this isn't normal AT ALL!"

Best Answer

One more thing, ladies and gents. If you do find yourself in a state where you can't move or breathe and you start to panic and feel like you're going to die, that's totally natural. Try to move beyond the fear and attempt to wiggle your toes, your fingers (I can't ever manage that one!) or roll your eyes back and forth. I haven't tried the last, but wiggling your toes works. Any conscious movement on your part seems to snap the spell, although it may take a few seconds. I've dealt with this in very severe and pervasive attacks and I know how scary it can be -- if it's happening to you and you have any questions, you can message me.

Best Answer

i have actually fallen out of bed but never felt that way

Best Answer

Only when I was younger, like 10 I think.

Best Answer