I don't have a kid now, but if I ever do have one someday I'd want to be more supportive than my parents were. They'd rather say that I couldn't do something rather than believing in me and being encouraging. So, that's definitely what I would want to do differently. No matter how ridiculous, I'd want them to know that I'm behind them 100%.
StrawberryLetter23 StrawberryLetter23 22-25, F 6 Answers Oct 30, 2012 in Motherhood

I want them to have a freedom of speech(in a respectful manner) and to choose what they want not bcoz I want them to do it.

Best Answer

I don't want my kids to feel judged for their decisions, after all they are human beings,I want my kids to feel like I'm proud of themby hanging their pictures on the fridge, I want to write notes in my kids lunches, and prove to them that they are the most important things in my life.

Best Answer

I have a child, and what I decided to do differently from what my parents did is to listen closely to and address my child's emotional needs. My parents loved me and provided for me as well as they could, but we were somehow emotionally disconnected because of their strong authoritarian stance on parenting, which includes the belief that as long as the children are clothed, fed, sheltered, and disciplined, they'll be okay. But I don't blame them for that, it's how their generation was raised. I just don't want to repeat the flaws in their system.

Best Answer

That's good.

Best Answer

All mine are grown and left home, now, I cuddled them more, all four of them.

Best Answer

I'm with you on the support part, it was there with my parents but only just barely. I do have kids (no adults) and I think the one thing I'm most proud of doing differently than my parents is remembering what it's like to be their age and putting myself there before jumping the gun and laying punishment. And in my opinion, it worked!

Best Answer

Sounds like you're a great parent. :)

Best Answer

Not let them get out of shape -- but not controlling every single thing they ate. <br />
Don't know if that makes sense?

Best Answer

Yeah, that makes sense. ;)

Best Answer

It does make sense, but it's not as easy as it sounds to actually accomplish. Great idea and if I could, that would be something I would concentrate alot more on than I did....but once they reach a certain age they develope a mind of their own and that tends to make alot of things with children a little more challenging. Good luck though!

Best Answer

mm.. I get what you're saying. I just wish my parents had really tried to keep me fit.

Best Answer