was it from English settlers, or somewhere else
antonyj84 antonyj84 26-30, M 15 Answers Oct 21, 2011

A lot of them are descended from the original English settlers. There are isolated pockets of these people who still can speak an approximation of Elizabethan English. Cool, huh?

Best Answer

My recollection from studying U.S. history is that they were originally English and Scots-Irish settlers,who were forced off their land and then,quite literally, headed for the hills.

Best Answer

Oh they come from my backyard. Living in the mountains they are all over out here, they don't like me because I'm not fat and I don't talk like they do and they think I'm from the city. The feeling is mutual.

Best Answer

As a well educated woman from Western North Carolina, I take GREAT offense at your comment. For the most part, we are as civilized as people living in urban areas. We aren't any more obese than any other region in America. Do some research before you speak out of your a s s.

Best Answer

Sorry, but for the most part, you are correct. I lived in Western NC for over 17 years and I've traveled the entire country as well as other countries in my 38 years alive and I can honestly say that there are more toothless, uneducated, bible thumping hillbillies per square mile in Western NC than anywhere else. But you don't look like the typical hillbilly so I wasn't talking about you. And as far as research, perhaps you need to doublecheck YOUR facts, missy: http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20091119/more-obesity-diabetes-in-south-us

Best Answer

They're usually the offspring of some type of Jerry Springer worthy relationship, from my experience.

Best Answer

Ulster

Best Answer

Iowa .... they got lost & ended up down south

Best Answer

@Misanthropy rules. Right on! It's hysterical how these hillbillies don't know they are hillbillies! I have lived in many a thriving metropolis and small towns alike. It's funny how the girl who replied to you got bent out of shape. Sorry, to disagree with you ..... to me she looks like the epitomy of bad breeding, genetic mayhem, very brittle looking. Mousy to the extreme. It's funny how people get upset when one points out the obvious.

Best Answer

they come from Irish and Scott-Irish settlers who told you this bullshit England look for the pbs specail that documented their violent history and prejudice against African american these are the most disgusting of cultures in america

Best Answer

The music is great! Too bad they can be so darn combative and stubborn. Like the Hatfields and McCoys. Sometimes I imagine the entire obstructionist wing of Congress is that way because they have Scot/Irish blood!

Best Answer

A lot of the people of Appalachia were early slaves kidnapped to work the tobacco of Virginia and sugar fields of the south during the 16th and 17th centuries. Many were the poor of London and other cities, but a lot were taken from Scotland and Ireland so the English could settle/colonize their lands. This was one of the reasons the hill people frequently fought for the north during the Civil War.<br />
These hill people are notoriosly intelligent and tough. They were responsible for fighting and winning many of the western battles of the Revolutionary War.

Best Answer

I visited my relatives in the hills of West Virginia last year. It was my first visit there even though I am in my early 50's. Talk about culture shock. All the crazy tales my father told of how hill folk live are true with these relatives. We are removed by only one generation, yet we could scarcely be more different. I was born and raised in the Pacific Northwest and am a respected member of the community. I have a thriving business and a nice home. My relatives are barely getting by on social programs and handouts. They live in a rental home which the neighbor told me they have destroyed. It is indeed destroyed. We are descended from Irish and English poor people. It is hard to believe that one generation could make such an incredible difference in lifestyle.

Best Answer