Carrie7 Carrie7 51-55, F 13 Answers Oct 29, 2012 in Politics

When they take the word "God" out of our Pledge of Allegiance and a school gets sued, and someone actually takes it to court, for having 8 seconds of silence before classes for personal reflection, meditation and/or prayer.

Best Answer

You know the word God was added the the pledge of allegiance in the 1950s? It goes against the original intention of the pledge, which was to praise you democratic and SECULAR origins. It's a product of McCarthy era extremism.

Best Answer

It's up to each state as it should be.

Best Answer

Great answer.. very true.. as each state has their own political/religious traditions. Thank you.

Best Answer

I read the responses / what you had said so far so if the answer seems oddly specific that's why. While I respect the answer about leaving it up to the states that Wufpackj gave, I think that protecting rights, and the even access to freedoms, is one of the primary purposes for the sovereignty of the Federal government, so for something to do with the first amendment I think that state by state leanings should not play a role. I think the role of the federal government in the separation of church and state is to insure that the religious views of those in power are not forced upon the minority, which is why I think leaving it to the states would be disastrous. No state in the union is religiously homogenous, so religion being propigated by any part of the state federal or local government is inappropriate.

Best Answer

Not that we should leave it to the states, but each state has their own political/religious traditions which affects the laws and jury decisions drastically from state to state. What someone could go to jail for for many years in one state, another would be set free for the same crime in another state. So it would be very challenging to change the histories of these traditions, which is why many of these cases go to the Supreme Court.

Best Answer

I understand legal variation between states, a was just saying that I think in the instance of separation of church and state federally insured freedom should take precedence over state tradition and culture, not vice versa, the same way it thru led state tradition in the Civil Rights movement,

Best Answer

when the state treats a church differently than any other business

Best Answer

I believe in the idea, but have yet to see it effectively put into practice

Best Answer

I think my church has crossed that line.......!!!!!!

Best Answer

The line is crossed any time any government authority says or does anything to promote any particular religion over any other. the US federal government crossed that line when they put the words "under god" in the pledge of allegiance and the words "in god we trust" on our money to mention two, there have been many.<br />
It's not all one sided the line is crossed any time a religious authority tries to guide it's followers to one political party or candidate. Or preaches politics from the pulpit or contributes it's tax exempt collections to a political cause.

Best Answer

i haven't had enough personal problems with this for an answer to come to me easily

Best Answer

If a man and woman gets married in a church and the vow's are (untill death do we part) there is no divorce. The state has no right to get between a man and his wife, the only time the state has a right to step into a marriage is when one or the other kills the other and then if the dead one is found in the bead of the person they are cheating with.

Best Answer