The verb "strike" means to hit. So why is it a strike in baseball if the batter FAILS to hit the ball?
krool1969 krool1969 41-45, M 4 Answers Nov 12, 2012 in Sports

Interesting question ... But you're still thinking of the word as a verb there is no logical answer but since in ba<x>seball the term "strike" is a noun it makes as much sense as anything

Best Answer

This is true. But in bowling, if you knock down (hit) all 10 pins in 1 throw it's a strike (noun) which gets it's name directly from the verb. Perhaps it comes from cricket, where the pitcher is trying to hit the batter's wicket (a target behind the batter where the catcher sits in baseball). In baseball any pitcher who TRIES to hit the batter's wicket is going to get his *** kicked.

Best Answer

Maybe in the ol days when a batter missed, the coach would walk up and strike them in the head. Sounds good to me :)

Best Answer

3 good strikes to the noggin and you probably would be out. :)

Best Answer

Considering that batters on average (in the pro leagues) get hits less than 30% of the time, better stock up on Advil.

Best Answer

I have a feeling you have the answer. Lay it on us.

Best Answer

Sorry, I do not. Something I've wondered about for years.

Best Answer

Maybe it comes from strike as in stricken -to remove.

Best Answer

But the batter is not removed until he get's 3, yet it still counts if he gets 2, then gets a hit.

Best Answer