I've been playing guitar for over a year now. I have only really played an acoustic though. Currently I have an Ibanez model which is very nice. I want to start being able to play metal songs with their true sound rather than an acoustic sound. I am not picky when it comes to sound quality etc. Most things will do for me. I'd like to get a decent guitar for under £250, maybe including an amp with that too? So just through some models at me and i'll consider them. Cheers.
WoodersonAlriiight WoodersonAlriiight 16-17, M 8 Answers Apr 16, 2012

First I think you need to answer the question for yourself...."Am I a Fender Man, or Am I a Gibson Man?" Once you can answer that honestly, the path to your first electric guitar will be easier.<br />
Go to some vintage guitar shops and find the oldest and coolest available to play in store. Fender Strats and Gibson Firebird reverses for starters. Play them through modern amps and tube amps so you can get a feel for how they sound through each.<br />
This experience will narrow down your choices for you and you will be able to seek that rare cool knock off guitar to buy for your first electric. <br />
Then, the dreaming starts! :)

Best Answer

He said "metal", not "old-man music".

Best Answer

Good thing I'm a lady then.
So Metallic is considered old man music?
How old are you, three? Cause you are sure
acting your age here.

Best Answer

Stick with Ibanez and don't rush the electric metal sound until you sound extremely clean. It takes awhile to learn and you can do everything with Ibanez acoustic until you learn tone.

Best Answer

Jackson....Ibanez or Parker

Best Answer

I'm a luthier of fifteen years. You can buy any crap-tastic £20 axe with a space for a humbucker (looks like two stratocaster pickups put together) and put in a bill lawrence xl500- instant metal brutality! Bill sells them direct for about $60 last I checked. Any local guit tech oughtn't charge more than £30 for installation of that and some stable £20 tuners. I rather like the sounds available on the Roland "cube" amp, really respectably sick metal tone along with quite respectable everythingelse. that or the two-silver-bars peavy amps from the 70's-80's with "supersat" knob- with time and patience you can get really amazing sounds out of these under-priced pushers. Don't buy new until you're playing stadiums unless it comes with a five-year or more service-plan.

Best Answer

A Squier Stratocaster, its cheap but playable and strats tend to be easier to play faster

Best Answer

How long's a piece of string, there are thousands of guitars out there these days for that kind of money, if you want to play metal stuff then you dont need anything good cos its just a racket anyway. No disrespect but you just need the gain turned up high and a distortion pedal, some amps have them built in, you wont find a guitar and a decent amp for that money but you'll find a playable guitar and an ok practice amp, try 2nd hand Ebay might find you something that suits your taste in music. Seems to me as long as its got a pointy headstock and humbuckers that's all the metal guys want. £250 won't buy you a Les Paul, but that type of guitar might suit you, an Epiphone LP could do it for you Slash style. Make sure it stays in tune though otherwise you'll be laying out on a new set of machine heads (tuners) false economy buying something that looks good but wont stay in tune. Whatever you see make sure you try it first. I've bought loads of guitars over the years and they just aren't worth taking out to gigs because of tuning issues. Good luck whatever you decide. I'm a Fender man myself but I like clean tones which would be no good for you.

Best Answer

I'd like to be able to play with some distortion, I also like clean tones too. £250 isn't much of a budget, I just can't really afford anything above that with the things i'm going to be having to deal with next year &gt;.&gt;

Best Answer

Well, the good news is the guitar market today has a ton of value for the $$ and it's very competitive. You should go with a guitarmwithnhumbucker pickups for the metal sound. You may want a Epiphone Les Paul, or a Jackson, ESP, Kramer, Washburn or even an Ibanez. So much to choose from!

Best Answer