Every year my neighborhood has a guy dress up as Santa and give a little stocking full of presents to the kids under 18. The same night that he's gonna be here is the exact night my youth group is going to look at Christmas lights! Two of my best friends are going to see the lights, and I really want to go too, but my mom said I probably won't be able to go because we have to see 'Santa'! What am I supposed to do! My crush is also going to see the lights, and I really wanted to go and be with him. I hardly ever get to see him!
lovaticforever13 lovaticforever13 13-15, F 10 Answers Dec 18, 2012 in Community

Tough to answer--your Mom is the boss and you should probably listen to her, but I understand how you want to be with your friends. Try to explain to her that you've done the Santa thing many times and would like a little change this year--maybe she'll understand. Good luck.

Best Answer

I wouldn't go just to be with a crush. You could go see the lights another time, I think your mother doesn't want to let go of the tradition, seeing you with Santa probably makes her happy. It's also a time for you two to spend time together, which she may not get to do very often.

Best Answer

That's not the only reason I'm going, the city puts lights on all of the stores, homes, trees, and everything, it's beautiful! I went last year, and I really want to see it again! They give you free hot chocolate and cookies too :)
And it's not a tradition seeing santa, all the neighbors get together and wait to hear they're name called, and when it is, they just go up and take their toys and go!

Best Answer

Well, you could see the lights another time, no?
If you're going to be miserable going to see Santa though, just tell your mom that you'd really rather see the lights, and set up something that the two of you can do together to replace the Santa thing.

Best Answer

My youth group hardly ever plans fun stuff like this, but my mom likes to spoil my little sister. She likes to see santa, so she's probably gonna get her way :/

Best Answer

Ever thought that maybe you are jealous because of the attention your little sister gets?

Best Answer

I am jealous, she gets everything she wants! The only time I get away from her is going to the youth group, but that's not the only reason I'm going.

Best Answer

Sounds like it is a major one. Have you ever discussed these feelings with your mom? She would probably be mortified if she knew.

Best Answer

She's to busy, and she'd probably think I was a selfish brat if I told her that:/

Best Answer

I wouldn't assume that. Your mom is never too busy to have an honest chat with you. Besides, it can't get any worse than it is, right :D?

Best Answer

It can, I could get grounded

Best Answer

For being respectful and having a polite discussion with your Mom? I don't think so. ^_^

Best Answer

Ask her- "what's it gonna' take for both of us to be happy that day?"

Best Answer

MAMA knows best.

Best Answer

Not always

Best Answer

Your 15... No disrespect, but what do you really know? This crush will be ancient history by your first year in college.

Best Answer

Maybe- but kids count even at 15

Best Answer

Kids do count... But minors (anyone under age 18 or the age of emancipation) are the responsibility of parents or wards of the state, so do what you are told. I've got kids older than you and they still need my help and advice.

Best Answer

Exactly

Best Answer

listen to mom, and let the Christmas tradition continue. You have years to find the right man in your life. Someday, when you have a daughter, you'll understand why family is important during the holidays

Best Answer

go see the lights with your friends. Ask your mom nicely and explain to her that it is about what makes you happy and you want to be with your friends. Wouldn't mention the crush thing that might influence "mom's" response. Besides it is a youth group going thats a positive thing in your life. Explain the importance to your mom..Tell her your too old for santa and time for friends...When I was your age me and my friends went to dinner together every year..Good memories for all of us.

Best Answer

She doesn't know I have a crush. The youth group is from my church too. Thanks for the advice

Best Answer

yeah no problem, good luck.. I hope she understands..Wow, and it is a church youth group. ok you really,really should be allowed to go.. Isn't that was Christmas is all about..Christ.. Did she already say no?

Best Answer

She said I probably can't go

Best Answer

aww.. I don't know what to say ...I wouldn't drive myself crazy about it if she is going to say no but I would try one more time. Tell her that you will feel dissapointed and left out if you don't go. Give her the old guilt trip. Bet a lot of people don't agree with my advice but really come on it's an innocent thing you want to do.

Best Answer

well you should do what MOM says she puts roof over your head

Best Answer

Tell your mom that your a bit too old for the santa stuff.

Best Answer