Why do you believe it is metaphorical or literal? Isaiah 55:12 You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands.
sweetromance2 sweetromance2 51-55, F 13 Answers Feb 8, 2013 in Religion

The literal interpretation sounds like most Disney movies.

Best Answer

LOL

Best Answer

Its metaphorical, obviously. Mountains can't sing and trees don't have hands.

Best Answer

Have you ever seen anything happen that you couldn't explain?

Best Answer

Well it can't be literal because mountains and hills can't sing and trees don't have hands.<br />
To me this means that I shall get off this computer, go outside and enjoy mother nature!!!<br />
:D

Best Answer

It's literal.

Best Answer

I see it as truth, however its in poetic form. I do not think the trees were actually clapping..and moutntains were singing..I believe its an ex<x>pression of the Joy and the truth..How one would feel being full of Joy and truth. Refreshed, happy..seeing the beauty god created.

Best Answer

I think of this as it was a kind of affirmation from the people back then for what they wanted, while the breeze and winds made the wishing ~ whisssping sounds like a song. Birds chirping sounds are like songs. Shaking Branches in the winds may look like clapping. Taking this hypnotic approach from the idea beauty and bliss from Nature to mean more to the people. And of course we have lost touch with Nature at the begin with in these days and times.

Best Answer

Though I think that the Bible is largely a book of crap, if you limit the quote to what is written here, I accept it as mostly literal (trees don't literally clap, but trees do communicate). At least I have found that in my life - but only since I left Christianity that had been teaching me that peace is something other than what peace is.

Best Answer

What does living in peace mean to you?

Best Answer

When I am at peace (living in peace) nothing upsets me. I walk through life with calm assurance while looking at the magnificence that I am an integral part of. No one is an enemy. Nothing threatens me. I know who and what I am, and life is joyful. If you have not been there, it's hard to explain. But just as the universe existed before people believed that is did, so too is your verse real even though most people don't believe so

Best Answer

It is both metaphorical and literal. Metaphor points to a process in human consciousness and literal means it has some validity to it that is beyond just mere fantasy or illusion. Right? Since its from the bible it is relating to consciousness, particularly that of being fully immersed in what Christians call the holy spirit. When one is fully awakened the whole world awakens with them and the consciousness of all things "sing" to us in a living music through a language of emotion and feeling as the waters of life flow over and through every pore of our being. The phrase is metaphor but the experience is quite literal.

Best Answer

The song and clapping is metaphorical for wind and leaves rustling.

Best Answer

What makes you equate it to leaves and wind? Did someone teach you this?

Best Answer

No, but as a writer that's what I'd do. Learning from an old generation who learned from an older generation doesn't make something more credible than what we can see ourselves.

Best Answer

From reading the passage I had concluded that these things were not previously seen. This would seem to put past experience at a disadvantage. Going only on past physical experience it sounds impossible.

Best Answer

Metaphorical,but you get the idea....Right?

Best Answer