When my ad died in 1981, my Mom had early Alzheimer's. I moved her in with my young family and cared for her for six years. I was her main caregiver. I put my career on hold. It was a very depressing time. As Mom get sicker, I got more depressed. I fed her, bathed her, looked after her, changed her diaper....when i could no longer care for her physical needs (she got dehydrated and ill). I placed her in a nursing home. She died in 1994, not knowing who I was, and, I hope not knowing who she was....That was a few lifetimes ago. It took me years to recover. Today, I keep her in my heart and remember her as the wonderful mother of my youth :(

Best Answer

Yes, I feel your pain. I'm her main caregiver. I gave up my job to take care of her. My husband and I moved into her house while our house sits empty. The family doesn't want her in a home butbi know it will happen eventually. My main concern is me getting depressed. What can I do to avoid that.

Best Answer

Are you close to her? i recommend that you seek out an Alzheimer's support group. There you will find people who are going through the same thing you are and you will get understanding, support and love from them...it's very important to have support and people that you can speak with about what is going on on a day to day basis and who will give you advice...Check the Internet for a support group in your area....

Best Answer

Mother in law. Dementia -- not necessarily Alzheimer's -- although the symptoms and treatments are very similar. <br />
Being a caretaker to someone with advanced Alzheimer's is very hard and can lead to burn out. Most areas have Alzheimer's support and respite services. Check with her medical provider or do a web search. <br />
Good luck.

Best Answer

Go you. I work with the elderly at an assisted living, a good number of which have Alz or some form of dementia.

Best Answer

When my mum was in the early stages of Alzheimer's she used to go out wandering mainly in the middle of the night.My son's friend found her in town about midnight he followed her untill we could get there to to pick her up.The police have also picked her up a couple of times in the night.Now she is much worse no more wandering about,sometimes she can be really nasty even though you are trying to help her,she doesn't know I'm her daughter she thinks I'm one of the carers.The worst thing is when you look into her eyes and you can see the confusion it makes me feel so sad

Best Answer

My grand mother lived with us for 5 years and she had Alzheimer's . It was a Really Bad Time. We couldn't afford to Put her anywhere. She caused MANY problems. She was always calling 911, complaining about assorted things.claiming she was being Held against her will. ect. The police said they were going to charge us if she continued to call them. They had to hide the Phone. this was just ONE of the Problems. :)

Best Answer

What stage? How well do you know her?

Best Answer

Stage3, she's not really a huge problem as yet. I have to do everything for her. All she wants to do is die. I've known her for 7 yrs. Just need to blow off steam.

Best Answer

I've cared for residents in past with this disease. Do have a certain question that needs to be addressed?

Best Answer

Just need tips and suggestions. Sometimes I'm at my wits end. No respite.

Best Answer

Find something that comforts them and keep them busy. One resident that literally kicked my *** when I changed her. She grew -up with three brothers' and she knew how to box, and her name was Lucy.

Best Answer

Do you plan on her skilled nursing home retirement. Millions of Americans are doing that just for confort.

Best Answer