Who has seen the movie " Control" about the lead singer Ian curtis? Sad....such a darkness too it..
simpletonsass simpletonsass 36-40, F 15 Answers Feb 6, 2013 in Hobbies

Agree with the earlier answer that Joy Division were 'Post-Punk', but they were most definitely Punk in their previous incarnation as 'Warsaw'. Some of the tracks they recorded under that name are available on compilations incl the 'Heart & Soul' 4 cd box set. The 2 original albums they recorded as 'Joy Division' - 'Unknown Pleasures' & 'Closer' - are both peerless amongst the contemporary 'Post Punk' scene at the turn of the 80s.<br />
The film is sensitive towards both Curtis' condition & the effect on those around him. It is also brave enough to include his relationship with his Dutch girlfriend with whom he was still embroiled when the end came. A sad but compelling viewing. <br />
I would also recommend to you the Group Documentary 'Joy Division' which came out around the same time & is available fairly cheaply on DVD. You get some great insight from the members & others around the band.

Best Answer

I've heard some of their music on one of my Cable TV's music channels. I like what I've heard so far.

Best Answer

Yes, they're cool. Damn shame about the lead singer though.

Best Answer

Not really punk... More post-punk... B-)

Best Answer

ok ok : p

Best Answer

Such a shame about ian curtis but I understand why he did it... :-(

Best Answer

Joy Division is goth. Just like The Cure, Bauhaus, and Sisters of Mercy.<br />
They're alright, I of course like "love will tear us apart" and I also like "atmosphere" but...Eh. I prefer music with more intensity to it.

Best Answer

sisters of mercy, The Cure, Bahuas was all " underground" as we called it then.Alternative.

Best Answer

ONE Of my first concerts along with The Cure.

Best Answer

My dad (who's 53) says he always knew them as New Wave, mainly because it was english and mopey. Just like The Cure, Flock of Seagulls, and early Squeeze. He goes on to say that the first band he ever heard descibed as alternative was REM. And they sound NOTHING like Joy division.

Best Answer

I know the american underground punk and hardcore scene pretty well. From The Velvet Underground and the Swans, to The Minutemen, Sonic youth, and Replacements, to beat happening and mudhoney, to the Star ******* Hipsters and Ampere. New Wave is WAY out of my usual spectrum.

Best Answer

I have heard the music but don't know anything about the band.<br />
I'll have to check out the movie.

Best Answer

It is quite different, sad, dark ( as in gloomy) .

Best Answer

I have, but punk is for angry drones.

Best Answer

Yes I loved them when I was a kid. Hearing them now brings back good memories, but Ian Curtis had a rough time of it in his short life. I've only seen clips of the movie.

Best Answer

he had epilepsy..not medication really for it back then.

Best Answer

That film depressed me.

Best Answer

yes, very dark. So sad for ian. To bad he didnt have proper medicine for his condition at the time.

Best Answer

Not for long.

Best Answer