Victor Hugo is my favourite author so far. I like Social Criticism the most.

Best Answer

Victor Hugo is no light read. Do you feel that his novels "hold up" in quality and entertainment compared to modern work?

Best Answer

He certainly outmaches them all in quality (your opinion may differ); but when it's about entertainment, I agree he could be a bit of bore. But I guess if one is looking for just entertainment, they should rather read all the storybooks (like Harry Potters), and not enter classics at the first place.

Best Answer

I like to read classics because I hope to write classics. I think a genuinely good work is genuinely good, regardless of the time period. High quality is hard to find, but it is out there. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the Potter series. JK Rowling got kids reading voraciously by giving them a main character who was a kid dealing with some very adult problems. I think those stories will be ranked up there with Nancy Drew and Little House on the Prairie one day.

Best Answer

Hope I didn't give you the impression that I'm a Potter hater. I didn't mean that. I was only talking about the entertainment quotient.

Best Answer

Yeah, I dig what you're saying. Most stories written nowadays are high on entertainment and not so concerned with quality. If you want to be sure to get both, you almost have to look to classics.

Best Answer

I've found that Smashwords has a great variety of books of upcoming writers as well as established writers. Some are actually very good. I read anything that looks interesting, sometimes I just want to laugh and other times I just want to read some good poetry or something inspirational. Who is your favourite author and genre?

Best Answer

My favorite genres are horror, erotica, and (most favorite) horrotica.
Favorite authors: Stephen King and Edgar Allan Poe

Best Answer

Two great writers of their time. What is your favourite Stephen King book? Best erotica piece you've read?

Best Answer

I have a certain love for "Carrie". It wasn't his most polished piece, but one can definitely see the raw quality of craft and skill in it.

Favorite Erotica: "Story of O"
That's actually a hard question to answer because there is SO much crap out there in that genre. "Story of O" is a quality classic piece concerning BDSM. It puts 50 shades og gray to shame.

Best Answer

That is very true, there are indeed a lot of nonsense written and a label slapped on it. Story of O sounds very interesting, I'll be sure to check it out. 50 Shades was in fact not a very good series in my opinion. The author clearly didn't do her homework that well.

Best Answer

I've heard that exact critique on 50 shades from so many different people, especially those of us in the lifestyle. Story of O doesn't have that problem. The author definitely did her homework.

Best Answer

Noir fiction. Daniel Woodrell.

Best Answer