I got Moses. now so where did Moses get this information. I dont remember Him telling the story of God telling Him this.. or did I miss that?
bhaktagerald bhaktagerald 41-45, M 29 Answers Aug 1, 2012

Jewish tradition holds that the stories of the creation and the Patriarchs (Genesis) were passed down orally, generation-to-generation until the time of Moses. Furthermore, when Moses received "The Law," many believe mistakenly that this simply means 'the Ten Commandments,' but in fact, it refers to the entire "Torah," which encompasses the first 5 books of the Hebrew Bible, or the Christian Old Testament. Since the first five books are ALL considered "The Torah" or "The Law," tradition taught that all of those books were revealed to Moses from the time he received the Ten Commandments in Mt. Sinai throughout the rest of the 40 years wandering in the wilderness/desert of Sinai. <br />
Hope that better explains the general consensus of traditional Biblical Scholars -- both Jewish and Christian.<br />
Jim

Best Answer

Thanks Jim this also helps. I will look into everything everyone has said. I seek absolute truth. Hare Krishna

Best Answer

They're direct copies of Babylonian texts. Read a book called Berossus and Exodus, Mantheo and Exodus; Hellenistic Histories and the Date of the Pentateuch.<br />
The old testament was written in 273BC in Alexandria largely copying Egyptian and Babylonian records.

Best Answer

many think it was Moses...I guess Adam told Noah and Noah told Shem then probably Shem told Abraham, Abe told Isaac, Isaac told Jacob/Israel, Israel told Joseph..and then 1 or 2 people were also told and they told Moses...I think it is possible that more people knew it than just him, I mean the Israelites always pass down very detailed stories and traditions from generation to generation...for example, passover, they all know when that started, and it started what 3 or 4 thousand years ago?!

Best Answer

Some ancient and bored fiction writer. All thoose begats and begottens drove me nuts.

Best Answer

Actually I watch a documentary once done by the creators of "Ripley's Believe it or Not" back in the 1980's where they went to a monastery in the middle east. Each begat in the old testament was represented by an entire bookshelf of scrolls, all written in various dead languages that have not yet been translated.

Best Answer

According to Jehovah's Witnesses, Moses wrote the book of Genesis. :)

Best Answer

may I ask, are you a Jehovah's Witness, if so where did mosses get this information? I am really curious.

Best Answer

No I am agnostic, but religion interests me so I ask people a lot of questions regarding religion and I used to do bible studies with a JW friend of mine when I was researching their religion. The JW's believe the bible in it's entirety is written by prophet and is the "inspired" word of god. SO basically, God authored the bible through people he selected to do his work.

Best Answer

very interesting, thank you I will research this more.

Best Answer

tom cruise?...

Best Answer

Tom just called me (he didn't have your number) and told me to tell you that HE IS GOING TO SUE THE HELL OUT OF YOU...then he hung up...lol

Best Answer

OK. God told Moses to write the beginning of the world. So, what was the ideas at the time? The science of the time. So, he wrote down what he understood of the universe... which could have came from oral traditions and so on...beliefs that everyone had...influenced bvy all cultures around him. But, God said..."Not bad... let's use that... because it does extend into your understanding... So God blessed it and it became the WORD OF GOD. The concepts of Good and Evil were there. The fall of man into sin and a relationship with God that is Strained... and the solution to it and how to create love to mankind and God.<br />
Was Moses, who actually wrote it... since the first 5 books of the bible, the Tora... in a coma as God wrote it all down..? Or, was Moses conscious and created a version the people at that time could understand... which means Genesis is interpretable? Then, that means we can interpret the Bible by the history and culture of the time.<br />
When the Judiac Bible was created. God told Moses to start the texts and go from the beginning to where he was now. The ideas of the time of how the world was created to the last book of the Tora.<br />
I don't know... the biggest is, "Is the Bible interpretable... meaning, is it literal... 7 of our days was the time of creation or was it all done in an evolutionary concept... billions of years. Was there actually a garden... a serpent... or is Genesis trying to just tell us we learned about evil and we became the type of race... understanding evil and good and choosing between the two. Or is Genesis like a Science and because it all is set down... the explanation of everything... the science of the times we have nothing to have a standing hold on? Creationism vrs Evolutionism.<br />
This is really the question. Science seems to dispell the Biblical creation as a myth and nothing more. Those who hold on to the Biblical myth... say our evolutionary science is something made up.<br />
The question encompasses what we understand now as cience and evolutionism and creationism. The two appear to not mix.<br />
This creates a debate. If the Bible says one thing, can our understanding of the sciences we know today actually prove Genesis to be true?<br />
My answer is above. The Bible is interpretable. Genesis could be just a story, creaed by the times of the day... but, to make important points that God wanted. We fell out of love and found hate... something God knew would happen, but took a chance on, because he valued choice more that anything else. To choose to love him back. No matter how you look at it... those concepts will always be there.

Best Answer

There have thousands of books and letters long before Moses about a great flood occuring.The Sumerians had the Epic of Gilgamesh.the Book of Enoch has part of the Book of Noah .

Best Answer

OBama's Spin Doctors

Best Answer

Moses.He wrote the first 5 books of the old Testament.

Best Answer

i agree genisis is a conglomeration of middle eastern creation beleifs, as told by rabbis, genisis is the creation story of the jewish people ONLY...

Best Answer

You have some long and drawn out replies, but the short answer is that Genesis is the introduction to Judaism; a set of rules and values by which the Jewish people would abide. What follows is well known as The Old Testament, a chronicle of events that followed until the Jesus event. I`ve no idea when it was written.

Best Answer

Moses wrote the first 3 books :)

Best Answer

According to most biblical scholars, Moses wrote the first six books of the Bible. Google "book of genisis" and see what I mean

Best Answer

The basis for all religions, and texts were developed long before there was life on earth.

Best Answer

Mose

Best Answer

The authors aren't known, the origins of old stories aren't usually known like that. They speculate of how many sources there were and where they came from, also which people put it together as a book and when. It's also been changed/edited, that just means more people and dates.

Best Answer

Moses had a ghost writer do it for 30 pieces of silver, which became standard pay for informers.

Best Answer

J.K. Rowling

Best Answer

I don't know but I miss the Genesis sometimes. Though I always wanted a Super Nintendo there was still some pretty good games. Streets of Rage ftw!

Best Answer