HiPpIeRoNiN HiPpIeRoNiN 31-35, M 9 Answers Aug 5, 2009

Boris Vallejo by miles and miles! Frazetta's stuff just looks cartoony to me.

I wouldn't call Vallejo's artwork "erotic" though, just because it often has a lady in the picture. I often draw animals, but I'm not a perverted ********** artist!

Zladislav Beksinski kicks both their arses though! lol.

Best Answer

Zladislav Beksinski's work doesn't do anything for me. But I do not like sci-fi at all. To be honest, I have never heard of him before and just googled his work, so possibly he has done some things that I would like a lot and just haven't seen it.

Best Answer

check out the one with the couple cuddling.. can't remember what it's called.

Best Answer

I really hate answering this one, since I love both their artwork, but Frank Frazett's artwork always seem ''wooden''. The'subjects never seem alive, like a posed cold statue.

Vallejo's subjects, on the other hand, scream with life and a lot more ( I do admit, however, that I would like, just once hin showing someone OUT of shape, maybe a little fat, a missing tooth, a little bald. His bodies are a little too perfect. Just once I'd like to see a poster by him showing a weak geek or something( On the other hand, if he wants to keep showing that beautiful body of a wife that he uses as a model so often, I have no trouble at all with that. She earned it, and well worth the look.. still)

Best Answer

That's a tough one - but as a Conan fan I'll give Boris the edge.

Best Answer

I thought that Frazetta had the better known Conan cover art. He certainly did with my generation because Boris had not started doing cover art for Conan yet.

Best Answer

Hi HS-didnt know either so googled them. I like BV style more. His brush strokes are bolder and his colors are more vivid. His portrayal of women seems to be more primary than secondary.

FF on the other hand-paints the women more submissively(kneeling on the ground in front of man etc).The brush strokes seem thin and scratchy-colors a bit duu.

Boris Vallego a bit better in my opinion.

Best Answer

mmmn. this was hard. i think i will say boris vallejo because i like the smooth quality of his colours.

still, i have to say brom is my favourite fantasy artist of all time.

Best Answer

Vallejo's work is static, posed. He didn't have the talent to paint directly from his imagination. He was a technician. A very good technician, but a technician nonetheless. Frazetta was an extremely gifted artist who did his work directly from his imagination. His work is full of motion and dynamism. Frazetta wins by far.

Best Answer

IMHO, boris does a very slick polished piece of work. he obviosly works from photos. maybe to the extent of tracing, which is typical in the illustration field.

Frank on the other hand may not have that anatomy photo accurate, but definitly creates the dynamics & feel of a piece I believe boris wishes he could capture. when you can Feel it, you got it !.....IMHO.....johnd

Best Answer

I like both of them a lot. But I will Frazetta the edge as I find his work a bit darker and more somber than Boris'. As for his work being "cartoony", he did start as a cartoonist, but I also think that is what the buyers wanted at the time. His later works, like "Death Dealer" used on Molly Hatchet's first album or the book series of that name were far from cartoony. Personally, I find these to be better than Boris' work.

Best Answer