Society topic.
JJ99999 JJ99999 26-30, M 16 Answers Sep 11, 2013 in Doing Good

It's more like the other way around....they're rich BECAUSE they're insular and selfish, it's hard to make a fortune when you're too nice of a person.

Best Answer

the exception is those who aren't actually trying to become rich, but are simply devoted 100% to what they love

Best Answer

Your views in this matter are very simplistic and not backed by facts. Your comment here uses the phrase "too nice". Too as used here means "to excess". Anything that is excessive or used to excess is not good. I suggest that you work harder and make reasonable financial decisions. And perhaps one day, someone may call you "Rich".

Best Answer

thanks for your advice, whoever it was directed at

Best Answer

They are rich because they have been greedy. Rich people get that way by exploiting poor people and making as big a profit out of them as they can. <br />
So greedy people who exploit people are the very types who don't give a damn about people in need. In fact they are the ones who look down their noses at the poor as being inferior losers who have no right to live.

Best Answer

Though many of the super rich are in fact like you say I know quite a few rich people who have helped me out by creating work around their house for me that really didn't need to be done. They just knew I needed the work.

Best Answer

I would try to find something truly life changing for a lot of people. Maybe a new drug or treatment could be devised. Maybe I would just dress like a bum and leave money for poor people that need help. Maybe I would adopt a child that needed love. I don't know. I don't think cars and houses would do it for me.

Best Answer

Being poor or rich has nothing to do with being insular or selfish. We all have it one way or another regardless of our status in life. It seems most rich are because they are often in the news/media. :) <br />
I admire your passion to help. We can help even if we are not rich. :)

Best Answer

Most "rich" people do help the local community. Just check you the contribution lists for most community projects. Also, the "rich" pay the bulk of local property taxes and State income taxes.

Best Answer

You have no way of knowing what you would do if you had millions of dollars. Most people who win those big lottery jackpots are broke and ruined in a year or two. There are many rich people who help other people. I am not rich, but I have no right to accuse people of something I am not sure of-- and I really have no idea what other people do with their money.

Best Answer

Attitude comes from way of thought, not money.

Best Answer

If you had millions you would be forced (for your protection) to donate incognito. Wealthy people do give all the time. It's not about showing off. It's about the 'GIFT'

Best Answer

Maybe they were Insular and Selfish when they were Poor too!

Best Answer

That's why you and I are not rich. We don't want to go out there and **** people over, in order to make the big money.

Best Answer

You don't get rich by caring about anyone but yourself.

Best Answer

You gain wealth by watching how you spend. We gain by saving for tomorrow because we want our family to be safe. We pay our bills on time and don't buy a new car every year. Are you wanting people to build a billboard sign and have it read FREE MONEY?
I have a 2007 Toyota. My house is mortgage free. I don't have all the new gadgets. Don't need a TV. My priorities is making sure my children and grandchildren are safe. But yes I have money in the bank. It's gonna stay there.

Best Answer

That doesn't make you rich.

Best Answer

You have the right idea. You'll never be the one with your hand out for someone else's money

Best Answer

That is the point. JJ is not destitute. He has Internet. If it's from his Phone he probably paid too much for this cell strictly because it's trendy. Yet he complains Rich people aren't standing on the street corner passing out their money.
Yes I buy a lotto ticket. I purchase One a month, Never received a penny. But I would help my family first. Not my entire town. Most people would blow it on a cruise and still cry because the bank Just took their home. One needs to have common sense when it comes to money.
I grew up POOR. I didn't want my life that way and have held on to certain goals.

Best Answer

The "milk the rich" mentality comes from the class warfare mentality that we seem to be seeing more and more. Its easier to have a "give me, give me" approach to life than to work hard for what one has and made intelligent choices with our assets and our lives.

Best Answer

As my dad says, "you don't get rich by helping others".

Best Answer

I suppose that's generally true accept some rare circumstances like bill gates setting up a charity. But mostly do so to show how they're really good guys & to win a political seat.
You have to feel sorry for them sacrificing being a proper human being for money. Mixing with good people makes you a better person whereby the opposite is true too.

Best Answer

Yeah, but Bill Gates is a rich guy to the super rich. I suppose it also depends on how you come in to that sort of money. It's a terrible shame, even more so that it isn't exclusive to people but entire nations.

Best Answer

At least politicians think they're doing what they're doing for a good reason/cause unless we're talking about dictatorships or non idealistic ones(crooked).

Best Answer

No, I'm talking about how certain governments would rather spend excessive amounts of money on killing people in war and finding oil than they would on eradicating poverty. The Australian PM is due to completely cut spending on foreign aid.

Best Answer

What world are you living in? I don't know how you define "rich". But just look at the donor and support lists of charities, etc. Then look at the World's Richest People list. There's a large correlation between the two.
As far as politicians..... they are in it for the money and power.

Best Answer

Donations are relative. I'm fairly certain the point has been made that there are expectations (which fall onto a limited few of the richest, not generally the rich. There are many rich people who don't pay anything to charity) who do pay considerably to charities and whatnot, but a larger majority that don't, or pay limited. Poverty actually has a price tag easily met (even easier by countries) yet people choose to ignore it, and I was getting to nations as it's in the 'bigger picture'.

Best Answer

But many do get rich WHILE helping others.

Best Answer

I was talking about those closed communities which keep themselves to themselves with a big gate outside and guards.
They don't interact with other local people & only care if something directly affects them.
For example we have terrible roads round where we live but as soon as the gated community arrived their road was done immediately. Then they're allowed to cut off local routes around them.

Best Answer

I am by no means "rich", but I do live in a gated community. I don't know where you get the idea that we don't interact with the local people. If you're saying that we don't walk through the housing projects daily, you are correct. But, I suggest that the average middle class American avoids the projects like the plague.
My family participates in several public service groups. My husband has taught Junior Achievement classes at a public middle school.
Keep in mind that the "rich" employ the local people you cite.
Since you want to talk about roads, consider that our local government refused to resurface the main road to our subdivision for more than 10 years although our average resident pays well in excess of $10,000 annually in property taxes. We finally got fed up and paid the town's part of the project from our own money.
Every person here worked hard for what we have and made rational financial decisions. I drove Toyotas rather than a Lexus. Our first home was 1300 sq ft . I bought clothes on sale. I own a regular cell phone, not a $400 smart phone that I upgrade every 2 yrs,
Its easy to point your finger at those who have more than some others. Instead of wasting your energy pointing that finger, you should use that energy working hard to reach the same level.
But, if you want class warfare, remember the rich can afford bigger and better weapons.

Best Answer

One area where they are in my town they closed of the area around where they live so that's half the countryside of the town gone. What gives them the right to set up a private village & don't say wealth.

Corrupt officials pocketing money given to them causes things not to be done/to be done. But saying because of that I'm going to live in a gated community is no excuse, that the same as not helping sort out your own country's problems & emigrating instead. How can people interact with people who they cannot even meet?

Employ local people don't you mean use them? Oh look lets build a big superstore which means local businesses go bust then employ them back at wages which they cannot live on. As for bettering yourself if you don't have brains/money/experience to begin with how can you better yourself?

I did something good once so that excuses me from all sins, I think not. They wronged me once so that's the end, imagine if all countries thought like that. As for working hard that has nothing to do with the question . Because you become richer should you become less friendly? living in an imposing house with gates doesn't exactly say anyone's welcome.

Super Rich may have the money but they don't have the numbers if everyone stopped working where would they get their money from, who would hold the weapons or build them? People can choose whether to buy things too.

Best Answer

Lets address the big box store issue first. The reason that the big box stores prices are lower than the smaller stores is a simple economic principle and fact. ... efficiency of scale. Do you want to pay more for a product when you can pay less? If you and the others in your town don't want the big boxes to replace the smaller local stores, there a simple solution.... shop at the local stores and avoid the big boxes. Also, ever buy something on the internet,perhaps from Amazon??? If so, you're also helping to close down the local stores.
Now, to address the corrupt local officials. Aren't they elected by the people of the community? Isn't there a recall mechanism where you live? Are you circulating a recall petition?
As far as a rights to set up a private village - why wouldn't they have the right to do so? I'm certain that you would prefer to live in a home surrounded by other nice homes and not a ghetto. The reason that we are living in a comfortable lifestyle is that we invested in ourselves -education, hard work, financial responsibility, etc. We both came from blue collar, non-union backgrounds. We attended a local state university. In the late 1980's, the industry my husband worked in folded and out income was cut by as much as 40% for almost 3 years. We cut back on expenses,didn't miss a house note, we paid our bills, remained active in the community.
We busted our butts for what we have, and I will never apologize for that.
One thing that I agree with is your no brains comment. Unfortunately, it seems that more and more, we find people who aren't willing to work on their weaknesses and find jobs careers that are within their abilities.
If today, we gave every adult in this country $1,000,000 within 2 yrs we would again have an emerging underclass. Many would gamble it away, drink it away, spend it on short term pleasures, etc.
Very few would use it for education, save a substantial part of it or invest a substantial part of it.
We are seeing the growth of a gimme, gimme, gimme society and economy. If you want to be a part of that and feel sorry for your self - so be it.

Best Answer

Being part of society is leading by example. Yes I get you worked hard to be where you are but not all people do. Some just have the right connections or the money to attend the right university/get the right job. They just isolate themselves as they want to part of club they're actively just showing off their wealth & preventing themselves mixing with other people so they all have the same ego-centric views, these people have millions/billions. I don't live in a ghetto, I live in quite a nice town in England we don't have ghettos here but we do have a lack of countryside apart from the few national parks. As for the officials yes you get to vote, but do you choose who is eligible to vote for. You have to have money to afford to run in the first place & that’s a fallacy of democracy as not all people are equal.

People can’t work on their weaknesses as how can you if companies would rather hire people who have previous experience/except less pay/worse working conditions from Poland than bother giving you experience I got my first job chance as they thought I was someone else. I don’t think you should just hand people money but you could give them more food coupons/government or company sponsored learning/free healthcare-one benefit we have here/government housing if they don’t have brains or physical ability or experience or money to keep a job which you cannot get any of if you don’t have a permanent address.

Best Answer

The fallacy of your statement is that you think that people should be given things, housing, food. Yes, there are a small percentage of individuals that for various reasons can not be expected to work. But the vast majority of the people who are on the dole are quite capable of working. In order to receive all of the things you suggest they should be required to perform some substantial form of public service if they can not find other work. Cleaning streets, washing statues, helping in schools, etc should be work that they are required to perform. As far as free healthcare - nothing is free. Your taxes pay for it. And if the few people I know who have lived in your country are any indication, there is a two tiered healthcare system. Anyone who wants timely, quality health services has to purchase additional private (and rather expensive) coverage.
You are correct, people are not equal. We are all different. What U.S. democracy provides is the equal right in achieve based on our strengths, our weaknesses and most importantly our work ethic.
My husband and I certainly did not come from privilege. We worked hard, we set reasonable goals, we seized every chance we found to further our knowledge and we were rewarded for it.
There is no excuse for anyone to not have a permanent address. Churches, charities and the government both there and here provide services and shelter. For the most part those who live on our streets have chosen to drop out of society and live that way.
Several weeks ago, a neighbor saw a young man on a street corner begging money. My neighbor offered the man $50 and lunch to help with a small. non labor intensive job. The young man refused....
My sympathy goes only so far. We (western society) has become too accepting of those who wont put out the effort but want the rewards. Tens of thousands of jobs go unfilled every day in this country, not because the standards are so high, but because no one makes application.

Best Answer