I've lived in Indiana for nearly 20 years and the one thing that has bothered me since day one is when I smile and speak to people. Men will tell me they already have someone but I can give them my number and women ask me what do I want from them. It took moving here (from Mississippi) for me to really understand what Southern Hospitality means! Really, why are northerners so antisocial?
LetMeGo2 LetMeGo2 41-45, F 17 Answers Sep 30, 2009

It's just the way we were raised. We have an instinct that says "if I don't know you, don't talk to me". It's uncomfortable for most of us to be approached by strangers. When people cross the line on that we unconsciously become a tad aggressive. It's not personal.

Best Answer

OH I BEG YOUR PARDON!!!! I am from Michigan and now reside in Arkansas..I am not now nor have I ever been an anti social or rude person .. Consider this...perhaps you are projecting an expectation of rudeness and therefore that is what your receiving. I know rude people in the south and in the north.. what I've discovered is that more often a northerner is rather up front about their thought and feelings and a southerner smiles politely and then waits for you to leave the room before they say the rude and mean things they are thinking. I am a Yankee.. a damned proud one by the by, with family roots in the south and the north. I am not rude, antisocial or mean to anyone. I am an extremely friendly and caring person and exceed even the southern standards for such behavior... the difference is that I MEAN it and am nice because that is who I am and how I feel.. not because it is simply how I am supposed to act. I take great offence at your statements.. how dare you lump me (or anyone for that matter) into such a negative statement when you have never met me...nor, I am willing to bet, have you met every northerner out there! How dare you.. rather rude don't you think? (Yeah I know.. since it isn't to my face it's acceptable.. NO IT IS NOT!)

Best Answer

i was wondering that myself. i was born and raised in pa. and half the time i was lonley. i moved to florida, there is no reason for anyoneto be antisocail.

Best Answer

all you guys really think that Indiana is northern???

Best Answer

Not everyone is "anti-social" in the northern states. Im from Minnesota and Id like to think most of us are friendly and we like to have fun. The winters get kinda ruff sometimes, but we can always go play in the snow!

Best Answer

I'm a Northeastern girl. Honestly, I would attribute it to the weather difference.<br />
Southerners have nicer weather which equals more endorphins, more socializing all year round, better social skills = all around happier people.

Best Answer

Well in the UK its the pollution from hundreds of years of industrial toil. The mercury and lead has rotted the genes and brains , thats why they wear flat caps and say "ee by gum" alot . They also have a certain odour from years of tunnelling under ground. In Bolton i once had a girl friend whos favorite saying was "nought such thing as the wrong un luv , just dive off biffins bridge ". The relationship didnt last long.

Best Answer

i don't know! people are fickle. i was born in illinois but raised in the south. southerners can be just as fickle as anybody. now i live in new york, and you can call us northerners here too...but as a bartender i see very socialable people in the bar and restaurant and relationships, friendships and business partnerships are very strong and important in our neck of the woods. there are a lot of loving people here!!!

Best Answer

Because of social differences. We are a victims of an over 50 years of living in deep communism and that was not so social system as it seems to look at first sight. It were really heavy whiles

Best Answer