SilenceEvermore SilenceEvermore 22-25 10 Answers Jan 16, 2013 in WTK

Language is fluid, and ever changing. Once upon a time the vernacular was French. You know, that peasant language those not gifted with higher education in Latin spoke.

Best Answer

So, you don't mind that "LOL" and others are in the OED? Or that college students seem to have, by and large, rather limited vocabularies? Or that many no longer enjoy the classics?

Best Answer

I have an Oxford English Dictionary here in my office, and among other things, it traces the changes in word's meanings over history. As close as I can tell, we've been mangling the language since we HAD a language. And yet somehow it survives, even thrives.

Best Answer

SO we should just shrug and say, "Omg whtevr"?

Best Answer

LOL! No, I don't think so. People still notice good language and it's still a better way to communicate. But I don't think we need to worry about the language. It seems to have tremendous resilience.

Best Answer

And what version of the English language do you subscribe to? Why have you strayed so far from the English used in the Cantabury Tales?

Best Answer

I haven't, I still use it for fun. I am talking about lacking the ability to spell and things like, "LOL" being considered viable "words."

Best Answer

New words come into existence all the time. Why the rigid adherence to oxford spelling? dontcha know wha 'm getting at?

Best Answer

It's not a rigid adherence to the Oxford spelling an dialectic/regional spellings based on accents are different than text speak and the like.

Best Answer

coined phrases so they can control you in arguement more effectively. If you didnt just fall off the turnip truck this would be evident.

Best Answer

Some strive to be purveyors of fine verse, and others to be perversers of grammer *shrug*

Best Answer

It's usually by mistake like a D i c k Cheney hunting accident or like the way he told NORAD to stand down on 9/11.

Best Answer

Yea, verily

Best Answer