I love this place. I look forward to some return trips.
TheSquirrel TheSquirrel 46-50, M 25 Answers Nov 19, 2012 in Religion

Although I agree that not all atheists are miserable, I believe there may be a correlation between atheism and depression. Let's take a look at why this might be the case....<br />
One reason for this might be that atheists do not believe in the afterlife. Religious people do believe in the afterlife, and therefore might simply have a slightly more positive outlook on life. It's easy to feel a little bit more carefree if you imagine that your life will never truly end. Just think for a second about what it is like to look at the short lifespan of the average human and believe that there is nothing to look forward to afterwards. That's a bit of a depressing thought, especially considering that this world is far from perfect.<br />
Atheists are also more likely to have high IQs, and are more likely to see themselves as outcasts. IQ shares a positive correlation with rates of depression, and therefore atheism also shares a positive correlation with depression. The demographic with the highest average IQ in the US is the atheistic, politically liberal ashkenazi jew. Having grown up in an area full of such people, I can tell you that many of them are at least somewhat unhappy. I had a teacher once who fit into all of those categories, and he once said to me, "I just don't trust somebody who's not at least a little bit miserable." Always thought that was a great quote. Another possible causse is that atheists are greatly outnumbered by the religious. America is a very religious place, and it can be difficult for atheists when they are challenged and ridiculed by the religious majority (I don't mean to imply that all religious people act this way.) <br />
When I was a young boy, I was an atheist, and I remember becoming irritated by other children and adults when they would react to this. I remember being told by one boy that I'd go to hell since I didn't believe in God. Obviously I wasn't worried, as I didn't believe in Hell, but it did bother me that I seemed to be one of the few who didn't belive in God. To me, it seemed irrational to belive in God, and because of this, I started to feel that the average was person was just not that smart. That made me feel a bit like an outcast. <br />
As I got a little older, it became easier for me to see the world with a few more shades of grey. For one thing, I realized that it is impossible to either prove or disprove the existence of God, and therefore, the only thing that really makes sense is to be an agnostic...to admit that we can't know for sure whether God exists. I also realized that some people may not believe in God because of some rational insight, but instead because of some sort of profound experience. "Who am I to judge them for that?" I thought. <br />
I can tell you that I am not miserable, but of course, I'm not exactly an atheist. Still, I think it's quite possible to love life whether you're religious or not.

Best Answer

Misery is a condition that transcends all beliefs, all faiths, all skeptics. Many people enjoy the feeling actually.

Best Answer

They exist just to give believers a hard time.

Best Answer

We need to be challenged; otherwise, we get fat, lazy, and cocky.

Best Answer

You mean the gerbils eat each other if they can't find someone else to eat.

Best Answer

Phuleeeaze! <br />
Why are you suggesting all those Religious fanatics are happy?

Best Answer

Not sure why being an atheist would make someone any more miserable than anyone else.<br />
I've been some pretty hypocritical Christians who seemed mad at the world.<br />
Atheism is simply not believing in a higher power. I think Christians assume that would make someone have an unhappy life because it's against their beliefs.<br />
Better to just let everyone believe what they choose and everyone can be happy.

Best Answer

You know me and my big spoon, just stirring it up.

Best Answer

:)

Best Answer

I have observed the opposite. People trying to live a life by other peoples standards and judgement tend to be more miserable. Most Atheist I know including myself are quite happy. You shouldn't mistake our disgust for intolerance and stupidity as being miserable.

Best Answer

No, not at all. I was trying to make sure that the happy atheists would not take offense.

Best Answer

For some of them their life has been "so hard" (maybe?) for them that they've lost faith in a God. I wouldn't know, because I'm not an Atheist. There's always something to live for as far as I'm concerned.

Best Answer

No, you clearly don't know!

Best Answer

Bzzzt wrong! Speak for yourself and stop making ASSumptions about things you don't understand!

Best Answer

I'm an atheist and I don't know how that makes me more miserable then any christian. all though i'm not the one who's living a lie.

Best Answer

Interesting that you single out Christians.

Best Answer

Nothing interesting. I used to christians who want to literally shove their religion up my ***.

Best Answer

There we go. Better that than at the wrong end of a sword, eh?

Best Answer

Atheism has nothing to do with anything but knowing God doesn't exist. That is a relief and clears your mind of all that crap thet weighs so many down. Why go on? Just because there is no God. It's actually a very good reason to go on in fact.<br />
As for the return trips, sorry, it's once only so don't waste it on religion.

Best Answer

Squirrel! Surely you know by now we're not all miserable, but if we are it could be the crazies stalking us atheists and calling us naughty names.

Best Answer

I am sorry I did such a bad job of indicating that I know of happy atheists. Please see my answer to NightBird's response.

Best Answer

Ah Squirrelly you haven't changed. :)

Best Answer

Because they have nothing to believe in, everything is so simple to them, Earth is Earth and that is that, nothing outwith it, nothing beyond simple Humans or life, a simple mans life, is a dull life

Best Answer

Wrong. You haven't a clue.

Best Answer

Funny how arrogant people like you are almost always incorrect. Take your bigoted post for example.

Best Answer

That is a loaded question, wherein its very premise is doubtful; and so it is unworthy of an answer.

Best Answer

but you just answered

Best Answer

And yet, you have provided me an answer. Yes, of course it's loaded.

Best Answer

I don't think MY 'bad moments' have anything to do with not being involved in religion. Sometimes, I actually believe it's BECAUSE I've been involved with PEOPLE who are involved Too Much into religion. I believe in balance. (very vague answer. sorry)

Best Answer

The reason is they do not have a hope other than to live their lives out.A Christian has a hope of something better and that can carry a person through a lot of hard times.Go read the story of Job,he had hope regardless of how terrible Satan made his life.

Best Answer

The most miserable people I have ever met were guilt-ridden superstitious believers who saw the world as a sinful place and couldn't wait to get to heaven. Many now spend their time rotting in the ground. That's the "reward" that awaits us all. Live now; this ain't no dress rehearsal.

Best Answer

You are assuming that people are miserable because they are athiests and not looking at other possible factors.<br />
Also, which study did you get this data from?

Best Answer

1. Many miserable people are religious. But religion is correlated with happiness, probably because churches serve as support systems and religious beliefs make reality appear more rosy than it really is.<br />
2. You have to be very depressed to consider suicide, and even then, our instinct to survive is the strongest one we have.

Best Answer

Sounds like a stereotype to me. There are miserable people with all different beliefs.

Best Answer

a stereotype is stemmed from a truth

Best Answer

Except that it's not true.

Best Answer

No....it's a stereotype of what bigoted Christians like to picture atheists as, to make themselves feel better and give themselves a false feeling of pride, and not a reality. Your delusions are only the truth to YOU, not to the rest of the world.

Best Answer

False.

Best Answer

Except it is. Heres a stereotype, Jews have big noses, oh wait most of them do. Here's another one, all Christians are white, oh wait most of them are. Here one more, Your an arrogant *****, so you must be an atheist, oh wait you are, BA BUM DISH.

Best Answer

"most" after both of your examples. It just shows that it's a stereotype bc not ALL follow that. Calling someone a name doesn't help your statement prove true. Also, you spelled you're wrong.

Best Answer