I am around some of these older gentlemen and they are funny and nice and generous. But every once in a while a bi-racial couple will go or someone of color will come on TV - and then this ugly stuff can just come out of nowhere. There's been so much time for them to meet and disabuse themselves of racism. But it's like the thought patterns just got stuck deep in the brain. They're old so you don't want to jump down their throat. But it can be pretty vile. Any thoughts on "your brain on racism"?
experimed experimed 51-55, M 8 Answers Apr 9 in Parenting & Family

Why are people born in the 90s racist? Because racist people keep breeding and pass on the ignorance.

Best Answer

Well it's a fair point. But to me young racists don't have this aspect of general love-ability which is then gets intruded on by some old script. But maybe I just haven't run into them.

Best Answer

It's quite true. My gramps was from Texas and really at an age where I "accepted" most of his rants due to his age and location when growing up. To be fair, he made many turn-arounds in thoughts and opinions, and that is actually saying a lot... that even decades stuck in his ways, he could still find it in him to change some opinions.

Best Answer

They are afraid.

Best Answer

Because that's the environment they grew up in (people of both sexes). I'm not justifying it in any way, but that's why. It's been engraved in the way they perceive society/the world, and it's a way of thinking that will hopefully dissipate as we evolve as a global society.

Best Answer

It's not really their fault in a way. These attitudes were deeply engrained in them from children. Old people can be really racist. My great grandmother used to carry around a rag to wipe things in case a black person had touched it. Hard to blame my grandmother for being racist too (she's no where near as bad, but just a few comments here and there).

Best Answer

a sign of the times

Best Answer