I think its was harder to stay at home b/c of that. My ex would come home and ***** if the house wasn't perfect. People would like to think that we just stay at home and do nothing but when you have little kids its just easier to clean it up at the end of the day than doing it over and over again. I really didn't like how i was treated.

Best Answer

I feel for you. Even though I am earning a paycheck as a work at home mom, I still get told I don't really do anything and get crap about being lazy when the house isn't perfect or the meal is hamburgers and potato salad rather than something super time consuming made from scratch. It seems like people think spending time at home = lazy which is utter bull!

Best Answer

Because they do not have to put on a business suit. It's because many people do not believe the work involved in being a stay at home mom. They think they just sit on the couch and eat bon bon's all day while kids run amuck.... sure in some houses maybe but not all. I say a stay at home mom works harder than most people I know.

Best Answer

"Because they do not have to put on a business suit." My nine to five job at the office let us dress somewhat casual (thank goodness) but I definitely got more respect when I worked outside the house as opposed to in.

Best Answer

yes me as well.
I got more respect as a grubby old shipper in boots jeans and tshirt than I did at times when I said I was a stay at home mother. Its a shame really

Best Answer

People who says that are uneducated.<br />
A stay at home mom job is never done. They work harder then any other.

Best Answer

I have been a stay at home mom and it's anything but lazy. I enjoyed my children's young years, as they are only young once. Those who mouth off are just full of it. I love your avatar. It's beautiful, by the way.

Best Answer

I think it's critical that children spend more time with their parents during their early years than a daycare person because a child's personality is set by the age of four or so. Also, there has been a correlation found in the number of NPD cases in children and the increase of daycare children. Now this is just my personal thoughts on this but I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that a person paid to watch your children that has their hands full with other kids and is making minimum wage, may be less inclined to take a lot of time to exhibit the kind of affection and empathy one would often get from a parental role model in the case of boo boos and feeling sick, ect.

Best Answer

Lazy?? You have got to be kidding! Only a fool would call a stay-at-home mom lazy. Odds are high that either they have no kids of their own or they pay someone to “do the job for them”). That’s a very hard (but very rewarding) occupation.

Best Answer

"Odds are high that either they have no kids of their own" Isn't it funny how women with no kids of their own often throw around their weight on the subject as though they are some sort of authority? lol

Best Answer

I was never viewed that way- but I got $#!t for not hiring someone because I was a lawyer and I was giving up big bucks (as if)

Best Answer

So you got crap for not wanting to hire a nanny?

Best Answer

Exactly- like it was a foregone conclusion that would go back to work because I had a CAREER. I actually heard- "what a waste of your education" quite a few times.

Best Answer

I think they are lucky and the kids are lucky too. The least time the kids have to spend in daycare etc the better. Saty at home dads I think have a much worse reputation but I think both are cool if you can afford to do it and if everyone contributes to the family then it is really nobody elses business and it doesn't matter what anyone thinks.

Best Answer

"I think they are lucky and the kids are lucky too." I agree.

Best Answer

I understand how you feel. I work and go to school from home so I can live on my own and be a good single mom for my children. I love them and don't WANT to shove them aside in some daycare center or with a babysitter I may or may not be able to trust. I want to have a deep, close, loving relationship with them and not miss out on a moment of their precious young lives. I get criticized sometimes though, but ignorant people that think I should go and get a "real" job....I guess they think I should quit school and become a grudge working from paycheck to paycheck and give up any chance at an actual career that I will enjoy. What will I have then? A lesser relationship with my own children and I job that holds little meaning for me and that just gets me by while I am kept away from my own home....that sounds like hell.

Best Answer

"I get criticized sometimes though, but ignorant people that think I should go and get a "real" job." Yup, I hear that all the time too and it really bugs me. Not only is it an ignorant statement to make but they act as though jobs are just so abundant right now and that you could easily find another that would suit all your needs tomorrow. I think they are the same geniuses who tell women in bad relationships who have no training or job experience (often with a gaggle of kids) to just get a job and leave. As if it were remotely that simple.

Best Answer

roughly, there are 4 people to every 1 job that becomes available right now(not counting those with jobs already), so there really aren't enough jobs. A separate study showed similar results, concluding that if every single or stay at home mom got a job that hundreds of millions of people would have to be fired just for there to be enough positions open.

Best Answer

same conclusions basically. There are not enough jobs for anyone. Plus, those jobs that do become available cannot sustain a household...they just can't. Most jobs are minimum wage. That is barely 1,200 a MONTH before taxes, health insurance and any other deductions....for working 40 hours a week. Even for one person that isn't enough.....rent, food, car insurance, gas, electric, internet(which is practically a necessity now), water, extra fees and expenses throughout the year like car repairs, tag renewals....leaving absolutely NOTHING for holidays, clothes, or anything that might remind you that you are human and worthy of a little frivolity every now and then.

Best Answer

Depends. Sometimes it's ignorance of what being a stay-at-home-mom or -dad entails. But it also depends on what kind of mom you're talking about--the one who does all the cooking, cleaning, etc., etc., or the one who has a housekeeper, nanny, and spends her days shopping and lunching and ******* about how hard life is if she has to take a phone call from the school because the kid's in trouble again.

Best Answer

I don't think that is the case at all. I think the media makes jokes about it but the real world does not think that..

Best Answer

You may not think so but some career women very openly mock stay at home moms. I've heard them called "lazy fata**es" among other things.

Best Answer