Here, there are so many 13-15 profiles that say they are depressed. Are they really or are they just sad? I don't think you kids know what depression even IS until your parents die, everything you have is taken from you, and you have no hope left. I probably don't even understand what true depression is, but kids, STOP USING THE WORD LIGHLTY
Sbubbles2 Sbubbles2 18-21, F 11 Answers Mar 30 in Community

People get depressed. It's an issue. It's not to be taken lightly. You can't compare one person's tragedy to another. And you can't tell someone their reasons for being depressed aren't valid. If you may not understand what true depression is, then I don't see why you would assume they're just being sad. Depression really is a serious issue.

Best Answer

I agree if a person is depressed the reasoning may not seem logical to you but it doesn't mean it doesn't hurt. Different people have different mental states and handle situations in different ways.

Best Answer

I agree entirely. But there's these kids out here who ARENT. And they claim to be which is stupid because while people are busy talking to them, and helping them, there are people who really do need it.

Best Answer

I understand what you mean. People who misuse the term depressed are wrong. But it's not really easy to tell who's serious or not. Especially on the internet.

Best Answer

While I agree that depression is not a word to be tossed around lightly, you also should not make light of other people's sufferings. People don't have to experience great hardship to feel depressed. Everyone is different and things might get to them that doesn't affect others. Seriously, someone who came from a good family with no financial struggles and did well in school/work can have depression and it's no less serious than someone else who has experienced an awful life.

Best Answer

I agree 100% just because youre not in the same situation as others doesnt make your problems any less signifigant

Best Answer

Nickelodeon doesn't make good cartoons anymore.

Best Answer

Depression shouldn't be taken lightly. Sure, some kids may be looking for attention, but maybe some do have it? It is an illness, and a very serious one at that. Because their reasons may not seem valid to you doesn't mean that their depression isn't valid. I have depression. Sure, my life is better than a lot of people's. That doesn't mean it hurts me any less, and it makes me feel belittled when people tell me I don't know what I'm talking about or to suck it up.

Best Answer

I agree, whether you're faking it or not its still a serious problem. Alot of kids are bullied this day and age, resulting in depression. Thats why so many kids have it. Not to mention the countless cases of mental illness that attribute to depression. And like you said constant loss such as family. I know when i found out i was schizophrenic i was devastated i started to realize why i had been acting so strange and it made me fall into a bad spiral of depression that im still struggling with.

Best Answer

There always have been depressed kids. Depression is very common and adolescence is a tough time as it is. You don't have to have a parent die to suffer from depression. It's a mental illness and when people don't take it seriously just because they don't perceive the victim to be worthy of suffering from depression, then that's just going to make them feel even worse. Depression for whatever reason needs to be taken seriously.

Best Answer

I think you may be undervaluing human emotion.

Best Answer

Earlier and earlier we begin to realize that the world isn't all fairytales. What was a world of wonder becomes a world of darkness and it takes a lot of reprogramming or unlearning to see the world as a place of potential or a place changing for the better. It takes a lot of life lessons to understand that the world isn't fair and that people just aren't nice and until we learn these lessons, we become like the world, dark and desolate.

Best Answer

Fluoride in the water is a depressant. It is everywhere so you don't even have to be on city water to get too much. Combine that with the fact that doctors hand out SSRI's like candy. Parents are probably on them and many children are as well. No one ever need to feel a thing anymore there is a drug for that.

Best Answer

have you seen the "music" they are tortured with this generation?

Best Answer

Well, don't think for one minute that you should naturally get a perfect cross section of feelings from the whole population of teenagers.<br />
Only teens who are in need of support would usually speak out here. So its very understandable that more teens on EP might characterize them self as depressed

Best Answer