i just watched Les Miserables and it occured most men in that Era were so caring. Like they actually respected women. Do you ever wish we could go back to that time? And actually see how it happened? It would be phenomenal. Todays society sucks, I just cant see how were advancing this quickly. Is it ever possible for us to go back in time?
Laylaystreet Laylaystreet 16-17, F 45 Answers Feb 6, 2013 in Struggles

I don't think you should get your history lessons from a movie...women in the 1800's were treated horribly.

Best Answer

Men respected women in the 1800's? Are you insane?

Best Answer

If by 'respected' she means, 'beat them, but also opened doors for them," then yes.

Best Answer

before modern police intervention the acceptable death for a wife was domestic murder, if you lived under the roof of a man's house he could beat you silly cause he wanted to... alcoholism is fun eh?

Best Answer

You're deluded if you think women were respected back then. A man could beat, rape, and do most anything else to his wife, or children for that matter.

Best Answer

Like, what kind of chivalry? I understand respect, but I don't think it's respectful to anyone to do everything for someone just because they're female. I also don't think it's respectful for a guy to 'discipline' a woman like they did back then.

Best Answer

You really have no concept of history if you want think that women were respected back then. They were commodities, nothing more. The kind of chivalry you see in books and movies wasn't even practiced between man and wife. It was a secret affair and only occurring in the nobility.

Best Answer

You and the rest clearly know little to nothing about history. In 19th century France women (Les Miserables was published in the 19th century and depicted milieux or environments that only roughly fit 18th century France) could own property and do much. They were not property and legally never were. They had limitations that men did not have, however.

But, by all means cite specific occurrences in which women were literally treated as property in 19th century France or Western Europe or kindly shut your mouth. You are getting your historical sense from the same place she is getting her notions. It would be funny if it were not so sad and pathetic.

I am willing to bet my life that not one of you has EVER read even one (and for a few they have read ONLY one pop trash "examination of history") full academic text on the social history of women in France in all of your lives.

Best Answer

This was asked 7 franking months ago, so you tell me who is sad and pathetic. You have too much time on your hands. I never said they were legally property, but they essentially were, passing from their fathers to their husbands.

Best Answer

I don't think that is true. Women are still fighting for their rights today but, in most, not all, modern day societies it is better today than the 1800s.

Best Answer

Because feminists want to make women independent of men. They want to be treated exactly like men. And they're getting their wish.

Best Answer

Yes, and that's awesome. I'm proud to be a male feminist. Equality.

Best Answer

That's not what feminism means, but thanks for playing, anyway

Best Answer

Equality is a wonderful thing. But there are consequences.

Best Answer

You hit the nail on the head.

Best Answer

That's not what feminism is about, but its too late, you'll never get it.

Best Answer

What does it mean?

Best Answer

Why don't you enlighten me?

Best Answer

It's about making males and females equal. Without discrimination, and in many cases, without gender boundaries at all. We're all human first.

Best Answer

Do you think men and women are different in any ways?

Best Answer

Yes, we have some physical differences. Nobody sane can deny that, if only on the grounds of genitalia. That doesn't mean we deserve to be treated differently, and it doesn't mean we need to fill certain roles as people. If a woman really does feel that she wants to take care of the kids full time, feminism won't stop that. It just makes it so that she can choose to do anything with her life that she wants.

Best Answer

In what tangible ways are feminists fighting for an equal society? Be specific.

Best Answer

It seems as if there is some ridicule and disdain in that community for full time mothers. Which I find ironic. These people claim to celebrate women, but they've totally bought into the criteria that men use for self worth.

Best Answer

feminism=ignorance.

Best Answer

your an idiot. a man can't be a feminist. stop kidding yourself, weirdo.

feminism is for women in power.

Best Answer

Just remember it works both ways, Renn.

Best Answer

Most women now go for the jerks over the caring kind hearted men

Best Answer

Read history and not take opinion just from a musical movie. Far more revealing to garbage that happened off in houses miles from town

Best Answer

Can remember the last time I was hand fed grapes and fanned with a palm frond....oO your right

Best Answer

I realize what you are really meaning, and there are some men out there who still do chivalrous things for their woman, I will hold the door for her and most of the time try to open the truck door for her, I know she can do it herself, but the smile she has when I get it for her makes it worth the little effort. Just like when we go for coffee, I pack a little lunch, pick up coffee and then get her, take her on a picnic, just because she likes it. I'll hold her chair, hold the door and do those small things, just because she likes them, because it makes her feel special!

Best Answer

That's the danger in watching something fictional, written for entertainment, and thinking that that's how things were. It doesn't tell everything. Women couldn't vote, couldn't own property, and all decisions were made for them by their fathers, brothers or husbands. Men didn't "respect" women, they viewed them as property or chattel.

Best Answer

I think, perhaps, that chivalry and especially respect for women went out the window once the word "swag" was invented...thank you, Soulja Boy, you miserable dickheaded fool.

Best Answer

When women start respecting themselves a little more & stop competing w/ guys !? We wear skin tight crap w/ our boonies sticking out & our ***** hanging out! What do you expect from guys anyway? We can compete w/ them in others ways! Physically, we're not as strong as men! When we are Ladies is when they will treat us as such!!!!

Best Answer

It still lives on in me young lady

Best Answer

Stay in school young lady, & read the truth about woman's history, not romanticizing about it.

Best Answer

Seriously? You got this from watching Les Mis? You do realize everyone died in the end, right?

Best Answer

Chivalry doesn't mean crap if women have less rights. Women weren't allowed to vote and they were allowed to be beaten by their husbands by many laws, and so on. We don't need to go back to the 1800's and earlier because we live in the Here and Now and right Now is a lot better than back in the 1800's and earlier for women. Chivalry still exists, although rare, but I'm sure it was back then too - otherwise people wouldn't have talked about it so much. <br />
Here's another wake-up call. Men have NEVER respected women. Look it up in the Bible, the Koran, and other religious texts. Maybe that is the cause of all the imbalance, chaos, and violence in the world. Men are too busy competing with each other and fighting over resources which equal power.

Best Answer

If you think women were MORE respected in 1800s peasant france than they are now you are either completely ignorant of history, or of the word Chivalry.

Best Answer