I am not wanting to sound hateful or racist but I was just wondering. Why do African American parents give their children names that sound "made up"? Is it a cultural thing? I teach classes and sometimes I have kids whose names I mispronounce because the name is phonetically incorrect. Why are there less traditional names like Linda or William?
Maryella Maryella 22-25, F 45 Answers Sep 8, 2009

It gives them the illusion they're creative.

Best Answer

As Mr. Bill Cosby puts it so eloquently, They do it thinking that it will reflect their African heritage or will set them apart. Mr. Cosby says always asks, "What is wrong with a civilized name that people can say or spell?". He goes further is posing the question of "Who do you think a teacher is going to call on, a name that they can say or some other name that is pronounced differently than it is spelled?".<br />
By the way, my son-in-law is black. His name is Brandon. He speaks fluent American English. His mother, is high school teacher is named Ella. His 92 y/o grandfather is named James.

Best Answer

I once worked for a guy who, upon reviewing job applications, would immediately commit to the paper shredder any application whose submitter had a name like Shaquanddaa or Quint'ashaa. Obviously I'm not defending his actions, but I doubt he is the only employer in history to have ever done so, and parents of any race would do well to consider this.

Best Answer

Exactly, using non-conventional naming to express Uniqueness does a child no favours and garners them no acceptance in a difficult and competitive world. Those that pierce themselves in visible places other than their ears or tattoo themselves anywhere. It is hard enough for anyone to succeed in this world and factually more difficult for a visible minority. When King said he wanted his children to be judged based upon the content of their character not the colour of their skin he spoke truth but first impressions are important and lasting ones and naming a child Lebron or Shakishia or Loquishia does them no good service where first impressions may be perceived as uncompetitive to others. Bill Cosby we know and love and for good reasons. You are putting a Loquisha under substantive disadvantage in us getting to know, love and accept her by virtue of her name being unorthodox and unfamiliar. Better Louise, Anne or Susan than Loquisha any day.

Best Answer

man i'm leavin' this one alone........

Best Answer

Because of their culture. At least it's unique.<br />
I come from a boring and common culture where my parents named me a boring and common name.

Best Answer

Uniquely stupid

Best Answer

ignorant son of a *****. whats ur name? alex ?, carly ,? pat,? ur an *******

Best Answer

Lighten up, he said he wasn't a racist. He's just curious. Man get over yourself. It's not ALL ABOUT putting African Americans down.

Best Answer

Smh. Just because he said he is not racist does not mean he really isn't one. It's unbelieveable how stupud some people can be.

Best Answer

As you demonstrate so well.

Best Answer

You are jumping to conclusions. It is quite possible to be curious about the reason for a cultural difference without condemning it. Wouldn't your life be more pleasant if, absent any data to the contrary, you assumed the best about people rather than the worst?

Best Answer

Cultural.

Best Answer

Because they can - let it go.

Best Answer

cultural. to define or enhance their heritage. i knew a black woman named LaQueen - how cool is that? i knew another black woman who had one of "those" names but her sister had a "regular" sounding name - and they were an educated, intelligent, prosperous, cultured family - and the lady with the "black" name DIDN'T like it.

Best Answer

Wow, see what you get for asking a question? Apparently naming children is a hot-button issue, right up there with universal health care and stem cell research. Sheesh.<br />
To answer your question, I don't know either. I did have twin students named Raquel and Raquail, and another (female) student named Petergail. I bet they got made fun of a lot by other kids. I felt bad for them.

Best Answer

Because "PEOPLE" have a choice to do what they want! BOTTOM LINE, PEOPLE DO WHAT THEY WANT.

Best Answer

People are stupid

Best Answer

People are also ********. -_-

Best Answer

I can't really answer your question, and I don't totally want to. <br />
I'm the kind of person that already knows what I'm gonna name my children lol. For the girls, first name and middle, only ONE name is something I've ever heard before. I like playing with words and sounds anyway, so I'm creating my own names that I think are beautiful. I like it when I see people doing that, rather than just going with whatever's the "norm." <br />
I also wish there weren't "black" and "white" and whatever else names---let's just name our kids what sounds good rather than being concerned with the ethnicity of the particular name. =)

Best Answer

because they got Rhythm....

Best Answer

3 years later,muddy waters,howlin'wolf,50 cents,prince symbol

Best Answer

all parents... of every color make up or create a name for their child...

Best Answer

Irish, European, Asian people DO NOT make up names. The names are well established over centuries of time. When you name your son " Condom " or Vagina ( pronounced Vageena ) or " Sexalean " you lose all credibility. I met a young lady named Fuhqueena ( pronounced ****** a ) and I don't care where you're from or what race you are, it's just plain stupid, emphasizing lack of education and intelligence. I'm not white. I'm muletto. I sat right beside other black students and learned from the same teachers in the same schools. But I don't say " PO leese " nor do I say, Ambalance. If you want to be treated with dignity, listen to Bill Cosby. He says don't separate yourself from others with your crude language. Be a part of the solution, not the problem.

Best Answer

How about ack-a-holl or hair-ron (alcohol and heroin) or
axe (ask)

Best Answer

They arent the only people. I had a friends in school who had names that sounded "made up" and they were all races. Infact my cousins name is Taleesa. Its kinda fun to watch ppl try to pernounce it, even though its exactly how its spelt... Ta-lee-sa... she is constantly called Talahassee dont know why though...

Best Answer

I am white and I decided that if I ever have a daughter I'm naming her charlisa. The name sounds black but I like it and think it's unique.

Best Answer

I'm black (mixed, what ever but still black) my name is Destiny, One of my sisters name is Jasmime, the other Is is (as in the Egyptian Goddess) & My brother name is O'sirus (As in the Egyptian Goddesses brother) I have never met a black person with a weird name. Only seen on Television. Although I do have a WHITE friend named Shantasha so come again??<br />
Point is EVERY race does that! What you think is normal is different from them. And as a teacher you should know everyone is different.

Best Answer

For all the non-racist that want to know about African- American names from an African-American I will give you my honest insight although I don't speak for all African-Americans. I am not racist or pro-black but I am anti-hate.<br />
Firstly, A NAME IS A NAME. People have the right to be creative or accept traditional names. African-Americans are detached from their native land which has caused them to create a new culture.<br />
Bill Cosby appears to believe in Assimilation which is accepting the dominate cultures "ways" to better "fit-in" or appease them. THE PROBLEM IS....we as people have a hard time accepting differences. <br />
Many nationalities including Caucasians that migrated to America changed their name to British/English names to fit in. Some did not. <br />
When people are different we persecute them. Africans, Indians, Mexicans, Asians, Hawaiians have all been persecuted by colonialist and by their own races. We have an extremely hard time accepting DIFFERENCES. gays, trans-genders.....(**WARNING - HERE COMES A WILD STATEMENT**).....even Aliens if we should one day encounter any. All movies depict us as immediately going to war because WE FEAR THE UNKNOWN OR DIFFERENT.<br />
You are going to have to learn to accept difference in life because not everyone is just like you. You are no better, OR WORSE. just different. we have ignorant people in all races.<br />
Condoleezza Rice has a unique name but has been an asset to American society. As Martin Luther King Jr. stated - "judge them by the content of their character".

Best Answer

Very well put. Couldn't have said it better myself. :)

Best Answer

From what I know about this subject being a African American it's pretty much anecdotal. Some name their children these names, because they are children themselves. They are very young, unwed mothers. The male unfortunately, in a lot of cases is MIA. So, the mother child decides to name her child something unique, putting her stamp so to speak on the child. So as to have them stand out from the crowd. Not having any real sense of themselves, some are creating names, really off the top of their heads. Unfortunately or fortunately depending how the child feels about their name, they are stuck with it, unless they go to get it changed legally (like my mother in law did) once they become an adult. But most keep their given names throughout their lives as a point of pride. Really a good socialist would be more qualified to explain this phenomenon.

Best Answer

They are ignorant. Or as they say ,ig-nant

Best Answer

"Ig-nant" sounds more redneck, like someone with a name like Billy-Bob, Bubba, Roscoe, Earlene, or Shirlene. And yes, I am being sarcastic to make a point.

Best Answer