It gives them the illusion they're creative.

Best Answer

I once worked for a guy who, upon reviewing job applications, would immediately commit to the paper shredder any application whose submitter had a name like Shaquanddaa or Quint'ashaa. Obviously I'm not defending his actions, but I doubt he is the only employer in history to have ever done so, and parents of any race would do well to consider this.

Best Answer

Exactly, using non-conventional naming to express Uniqueness does a child no favours and garners them no acceptance in a difficult and competitive world. Those that pierce themselves in visible places other than their ears or tattoo themselves anywhere. It is hard enough for anyone to succeed in this world and factually more difficult for a visible minority. When King said he wanted his children to be judged based upon the content of their character not the colour of their skin he spoke truth but first impressions are important and lasting ones and naming a child Lebron or Shakishia or Loquishia does them no good service where first impressions may be perceived as uncompetitive to others. Bill Cosby we know and love and for good reasons. You are putting a Loquisha under substantive disadvantage in us getting to know, love and accept her by virtue of her name being unorthodox and unfamiliar. Better Louise, Anne or Susan than Loquisha any day.

Best Answer

Bill Cosby we know and love and for good reasons... choking on those words now

Best Answer

As Mr. Bill Cosby puts it so eloquently, They do it thinking that it will reflect their African heritage or will set them apart. Mr. Cosby says always asks, "What is wrong with a civilized name that people can say or spell?". He goes further is posing the question of "Who do you think a teacher is going to call on, a name that they can say or some other name that is pronounced differently than it is spelled?".<br />
By the way, my son-in-law is black. His name is Brandon. He speaks fluent American English. His mother, is high school teacher is named Ella. His 92 y/o grandfather is named James.

Best Answer

man i'm leavin' this one alone........

Best Answer

Because of their culture. At least it's unique.<br />
I come from a boring and common culture where my parents named me a boring and common name.

Best Answer

Uniquely stupid

Best Answer

Irish, European, Asian people DO NOT make up names. The names are well established over centuries of time. When you name your son " Condom " or Vagina ( pronounced Vageena ) or " Sexalean " you lose all credibility. I met a young lady named Fuhqueena ( pronounced ****** a ) and I don't care where you're from or what race you are, it's just plain stupid, emphasizing lack of education and intelligence. I'm not white. I'm muletto. I sat right beside other black students and learned from the same teachers in the same schools. But I don't say " PO leese " nor do I say, Ambalance. If you want to be treated with dignity, listen to Bill Cosby. He says don't separate yourself from others with your crude language. Be a part of the solution, not the problem.

Best Answer

How about ack-a-holl or hair-ron (alcohol and heroin) or
axe (ask)

Best Answer

ignorant son of a *****. whats ur name? alex ?, carly ,? pat,? ur an *******

Best Answer

Lighten up, he said he wasn't a racist. He's just curious. Man get over yourself. It's not ALL ABOUT putting African Americans down.

Best Answer

Smh. Just because he said he is not racist does not mean he really isn't one. It's unbelieveable how stupud some people can be.

Best Answer

As you demonstrate so well.

Best Answer

You are jumping to conclusions. It is quite possible to be curious about the reason for a cultural difference without condemning it. Wouldn't your life be more pleasant if, absent any data to the contrary, you assumed the best about people rather than the worst?

Best Answer

Cultural.

Best Answer

Because they can - let it go.

Best Answer

cultural. to define or enhance their heritage. i knew a black woman named LaQueen - how cool is that? i knew another black woman who had one of "those" names but her sister had a "regular" sounding name - and they were an educated, intelligent, prosperous, cultured family - and the lady with the "black" name DIDN'T like it.

Best Answer

Wow, see what you get for asking a question? Apparently naming children is a hot-button issue, right up there with universal health care and stem cell research. Sheesh.<br />
To answer your question, I don't know either. I did have twin students named Raquel and Raquail, and another (female) student named Petergail. I bet they got made fun of a lot by other kids. I felt bad for them.

Best Answer

Because "PEOPLE" have a choice to do what they want! BOTTOM LINE, PEOPLE DO WHAT THEY WANT.

Best Answer

People are stupid

Best Answer

People are also ********. -_-

Best Answer

Yup. Just like an employer can choose not to hire them.

Best Answer

I can't really answer your question, and I don't totally want to. <br />
I'm the kind of person that already knows what I'm gonna name my children lol. For the girls, first name and middle, only ONE name is something I've ever heard before. I like playing with words and sounds anyway, so I'm creating my own names that I think are beautiful. I like it when I see people doing that, rather than just going with whatever's the "norm." <br />
I also wish there weren't "black" and "white" and whatever else names---let's just name our kids what sounds good rather than being concerned with the ethnicity of the particular name. =)

Best Answer

How about a name that sounds good and has meaning? A name tells a story about a person. A name can in some cases go as far as spelling good or bad fortune for a child. Not trying to sound superstitious, that's a fact based on real people's experiences. Giving a child a name just because it sounds good is synonymous to illiteracy. What if it doesn't sound good tomorrow? Naming a child is an act that takes planning, research, insight and foresight. A name that sounds right today may embarrass your child in the future. Why would someone who wanted and planned a child from conception name her shaquanda? How far can a name like that go?

Best Answer

because they got Rhythm....

Best Answer

3 years later,muddy waters,howlin'wolf,50 cents,prince symbol

Best Answer

all parents... of every color make up or create a name for their child...

Best Answer

Who cares? Who cares what they do?

Best Answer

They arent the only people. I had a friends in school who had names that sounded "made up" and they were all races. Infact my cousins name is Taleesa. Its kinda fun to watch ppl try to pernounce it, even though its exactly how its spelt... Ta-lee-sa... she is constantly called Talahassee dont know why though...

Best Answer

I am white and I decided that if I ever have a daughter I'm naming her charlisa. The name sounds black but I like it and think it's unique.

Best Answer

I'm black (mixed, what ever but still black) my name is Destiny, One of my sisters name is Jasmime, the other Is is (as in the Egyptian Goddess) & My brother name is O'sirus (As in the Egyptian Goddesses brother) I have never met a black person with a weird name. Only seen on Television. Although I do have a WHITE friend named Shantasha so come again??<br />
Point is EVERY race does that! What you think is normal is different from them. And as a teacher you should know everyone is different.

Best Answer

Sorry Destiny but it's mostly black folks who pick weird names for their kids. Seriously? Not Osiris but O'sirus? Your parents HAD to use the O' with the apostrophe. LOL The white friend who has the black-sounding name is a rarity. It's mostly white-trash and uneducated white folks who pick MADE UP names. And before I get trashed, I am Blatino. And my name is Chris.

Best Answer

My mom actually picked O'sirus. My mom is Indian. So where are we with that black parents thing? Since I've posted this (LAST YEAR) I've noticed alot of what is being said is true. Alot of black parents do chose strange names. But I think to them the average John and Jane are just as strange. We come from different cultures so of course we would be different in somethings, names including. Just how it is with the any other culture.

Best Answer

Sorry some typos. in a bit of a rush.

Best Answer

For all the non-racist that want to know about African- American names from an African-American I will give you my honest insight although I don't speak for all African-Americans. I am not racist or pro-black but I am anti-hate.<br />
Firstly, A NAME IS A NAME. People have the right to be creative or accept traditional names. African-Americans are detached from their native land which has caused them to create a new culture.<br />
Bill Cosby appears to believe in Assimilation which is accepting the dominate cultures "ways" to better "fit-in" or appease them. THE PROBLEM IS....we as people have a hard time accepting differences. <br />
Many nationalities including Caucasians that migrated to America changed their name to British/English names to fit in. Some did not. <br />
When people are different we persecute them. Africans, Indians, Mexicans, Asians, Hawaiians have all been persecuted by colonialist and by their own races. We have an extremely hard time accepting DIFFERENCES. gays, trans-genders.....(**WARNING - HERE COMES A WILD STATEMENT**).....even Aliens if we should one day encounter any. All movies depict us as immediately going to war because WE FEAR THE UNKNOWN OR DIFFERENT.<br />
You are going to have to learn to accept difference in life because not everyone is just like you. You are no better, OR WORSE. just different. we have ignorant people in all races.<br />
Condoleezza Rice has a unique name but has been an asset to American society. As Martin Luther King Jr. stated - "judge them by the content of their character".

Best Answer

Very well put. Couldn't have said it better myself. :)

Best Answer

I agree with most of what you said. Except names should have meanings. The purpose of a name is to identify a person, therefore a name should be meaningful and should have a purpose. Names should be deeper than just the sound of them. Today, it's not about race anymore (well, mostly), I've seen white people name their kids just for the rhymes. It's about intelligence and insight. Condoleezza is one of the rare exceptions. The names shaquanda, fuquanah, and so on can only take you so far.

Best Answer

Don't her friends call her "Candy"?

Best Answer