churinga churinga 70+, M 34 Answers Jul 23, 2011

Most Atheists are atheists because they read the bible.

Best Answer

Am i to understand that by debunking the bible proves there is no god?

Best Answer

It's impossible to prove a negative statement but theism doesn't hold water; the three great monotheistic religions have been debunked. So it's reasonable to be a deist, although this would be based on an argument from ignorance, but not a theist.

Best Answer

To be honest though deism resorts to "you can't disprove it" which is......it's no different from saying "My god is the invisible pink unicorn and you can't disprove it so it's true". It lacks the intellectual rigure of being able to point to facts as foundations of beliefs.

Best Answer

Reading the story of Lot in the actual bible rather than my children's bible was what made me take the last step into atheism.

Best Answer

To be educated, to understand the culture they've been brought up in, to understand history, because comparative religion and mythology are interesting...

Best Answer

assuming you are speaking for yourself how to you arrive at the stage where you do not believe in any god?

Best Answer

They might also like the stories. What is more exciting than a blind man killing thousands of people at once, a young boy killing a giant in one-to-one combat, or Jesus walking on water?

Best Answer

Why not? I know more about the Bible than a lot of people who swear by it.

Maybe that's why they don't see all the bullshit.

Best Answer

I can see that being the case, especially considering that the Bible teaches believers not to swear by it. (Matthew 5:34-37) I actually know quite a few atheists who are more well read on the Bible than many of the Christians I know. It doesn't mean either of them understand it though.

Best Answer

I've read the Bible several times. Like many atheists, I started off religious and found myself disturbed by the things I read regarding slavery and women. So I read it again and again hoping to glean some new knowledge and to recover my lost faith. When that failed, I started researching other religions and became a pagan, a wiccan, a buddhist, a humanist, an agnostic and finally admitted that I'm an atheist. I wanted to believe so badly I kept searching and searching and searching and finally had to accept that I didn't believe at all.

I think a better question would be, Why do so many atheists read the Bible while so few Christians bother?

Best Answer

Sounds a lot like my own journey.

Best Answer

Many atheists were once religious and read the Bible often. Isaac Asimov said, "The Bible properly read is the biggest force for atheism in existence". Thomas Jefferson said something similar to his nephew. We may read it to see how absurd it is.

Best Answer

the path to athiesm is often the path to discover the answer about one's own religeon, soon, you read up on other religeons to see if they present the same loopholes, which they do, and one accepted w/o scientific proof, you can not believe.

After all, to put Faith is to believe something on which no scientific evidence has been found for and cannot be proven with logic.

Best Answer

To waste their time, trying to nit pick the obvious evidence, in denial.

Best Answer

There is no eviedence that any gods are real.

Best Answer

I have friends that say "According to the word" and I wonder what they mean and why another friend may not agree with what is being said even though they are Christian too. The "literalist" may read into a passage a completely different meaning than some one who reads as according to the context of what was meant.

So I as an Atheist feel that even if I disagree completely to the existence of god, there are my friends whose position I feel upon other than religious matters that are influenced that we find common ground.

I am not one to impose my belief on them because I know they have their needs to do so.

Best Answer

majority of atheists were once religious, about 90% were apart of the Abrahamic faiths.

atheists read the bible, Christians don't, its why they have the wrong idea about it, they cherry pick what they are told, and they judge others. sigh.

majority of the founding fathers and many scientific minds in medieval times were deists, they believe god to be a real being but no longer cares about us and lets us do what we want. if i was religious id be more inclined to believe this, as no ones prayers have actually been answered.

Best Answer

For a variety of reasons. I was a Christian before I became an atheist, so I read the bible back then.

Also I am interested in ancient history & the bible is an ancient document that can tell us a lot about life in the ancient near middle east. So I might read it as a historian reads any ancient manuscript. I read the legend of Gilgamesh, I read the bible- I regard both as primarily myths and stories for the ancient world but they are both of interest.

For an historian the bible contains some historically useful information as well - some of this might be quite boring stuff (like who the ancient israelites traded with and what they traded) but it is still interesting to historians.

Best Answer

"Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones."

Psalm 137:9

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces, even the dung of your solemn feasts; and one shall take you away with it."

Malachi 2:3

"For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him."

Leviticus 20:9

"But Rabshakeh said unto them, Hath my master sent me to thy master, and to thee, to speak these words? hath he not sent me to the men which sit on the wall, that they may eat their own dung, and drink their own **** with you?"

2 Kings 18:27 KJV

"Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up."

Hosea 13:16

"If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:

Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;

And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.

And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear."

Deuteronomy 21:18-21

"But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

For Adam was first formed, then Eve.

And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety."

1 Timothy 2:12-15

"And thou shalt eat the fruit of thine own body, the flesh of thy sons and of thy daughters, which the LORD thy God hath given thee, in the siege, and in the straitness, wherewith thine enemies shall distress thee:"

Deuteronomy 28:53

"Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?"

2 Corinthians 6:14

"Ye shall utterly destroy all the places, wherein the nations which ye shall possess served their gods, upon the high mountains, and upon the hills, and under every green tree:

And ye shall overthrow their altars, and break their pillars, and burn their groves with fire; and ye shall hew down the graven images of their gods, and destroy the names of them out of that place."

Deuteronomy 12:2-3

Best Answer

I think many atheists want to see what the bible really says, many anti-theists will exaggerate the bad parts and christians will miss out the bad parts entirely so they hope to get a better idea of what it says themselves.

Best Answer

you will actually find most attacks made by atheists are made after they have been belittled by small minded theists.

Best Answer

They are two common senarios. The first one complies with myself.

1. Some Atheists thrive to research the religion to know why they don't believe in god or just learn about the religion that they are the most exposed too. Also when in a debate with a religious fellow they cannot simply tell the atheist the read the bible, since they already would have. A few Atheists just simply want to expose them selves to said religion to try to understand why people would believe it, and why they wouldn't.

2. Some Atheists read the bible before they did not believe in God. They couldn't make sense of it or thought it was more of fairy tales or find the stories gruesom and biased. Therefor they don't know why a creator would have such a biased mind and figured that it was clearly made by a group of men to keep civilization in check by their standards.

P.S. No offence if this seems harsh or rude to anyone, I'm just simply answering the question.

Best Answer

Thank you for taking time to respond, the problem with reading the Bible lies in the fact that the Bible simply isn't just another book, and requires the same Spirit that spoke to many people in bringing the Bible to where it is today to be indwelling, without this Spirit the Bible cannot be understood.

Best Answer

Christians state this garb when they don't understand the bible, ''god works in mysterious ways'' is a prime example

Best Answer

But I believe it is just another book. Why is the Aeneid not a holy book? It's texts talk of gods and monsters and claim them to be fact. Why should we give special treatment to this book and say " No, in this case the magic is real and it MUST be true."

Best Answer

Because they like to ***** and disprove every little thing.

Best Answer

I'm not an atheist, so I can't give you a genuine first person perspective on that matter, but I do read a number of religious texts from religions other than my own on a consistant basis. Mostly it's intelectual and spiritual curiosity. I'm just looking for truth- not trying to prove or disprove anything. For example, there's a lot of cool, inspiring, possitive, spiritually enriching stuff in the teachings of Buhdda and the Q'ran, but I'm not a Buhddist or a Muslim. There's a ton of great stuff in the non-cannonical writings of early Christians even though most Christian churches don't consider them scripture.

Now atheism by definition is an interesting case since instead of admitting to a lack of knowledge about deity, atheism rejects the possibility of deity altogether, working under the assumption that the abscence of deity is a fact. A lot of people call themselves atheists and are really agnostic, meaning they don't think it's possible to know one way or the other.

An atheist reading the Bible actually makes more sense to me than an agnostic reading the Bible. An atheist would be looking for justification of his beliefs through perceived flaws of scripture, much the same way that some who profess the Christian faith look for justification of their beliefs by citing "proof scriptures" that coincide with the dogma of their particular sect.

An agnostic, on the other hand, would have nothing to prove to himself or others with the Bible. So if a true agonostic were reading the Bible, it would be anybody's guess as to why.

Best Answer

atheists reject a god, but can still be spiritual and follow a path like Buddhism as it has no god and seeks knowledge, there are religions which have no gods but respect people and nature. and actually have stories of complete peace, the bible is majorly about death and revenge.

Best Answer

some of them you like to hear some advice

Best Answer

I don't think they do. I think Atheist are like most people, theyare not all the same.

Best Answer

To assume it's a joke, and then to run their useless opinions into mainstream society.

Best Answer

They're looking for something to argue about.

Best Answer