jeanemae jeanemae 26-30 14 Answers Dec 7, 2011

The Oxford English Dictionary's first citation of the use of "ginger" to mean "red-haired" is 1525. <br />
1785 GROSE Dict. Vulg. Tongue s.v. Ginger-pated, Red ***** are called gingers. 1797 Sporting Mag. IX. 338 In cocking, I suppose you will not find a better breed of gingers. 1857 H. AINSWORTH Spendthrift xvi. 109 Examining the *****, and betting with each other..this backing a grey, that a ginger.<br />
So it probably came from naming roosters gingers and then carring the term on to redheads.

Best Answer

ok, I think I follow what the dictionary thinks. Thanks for looking it up.

Best Answer

In Britain, it has been speculated that the dislike of red hair may derive from the historical English sentiment that people of Irish or Celtic background, with a greater prevalence of red hair, were ethnically inferior.<br />
I actually had a Brit come up to my daughter and I and told us because we are redheads we have no soul, the woman was lucky I didn't bash her face in for making my daughter cry!<br />
Calling redheads carrot tops, gingers or anything else is just plain RUDE!

Best Answer

god, I guess she really had misplaced her soul

Best Answer

My daughter was 12 at the time, she was SO upset. So now she HATES her beautiful red hair, I understand how she feels. Growing up red hair was the detested hair color and I had some hateful, vicious things said to me.

Best Answer

that's unfortunate, it's so rare I think it makes you special. I new a girl growing up who had the most amazing color of red hair. I mean it wasn't even orange but a really strong burnt red and caramel colored skin. I can't imagine what sort of mix of ethnicities that could have created her hair. I'm sure now that she's an adult people just assume it's dyed.

Best Answer

I am of native American/Finnish descent, I have my grandmothers hair texture and my grandfathers Finnish red hair. Out of my 4 kids my daughter is my only redhead, her hair is gorgeous!

Best Answer

I have no idea tbh but it's kinda hurtful when people use it in a bad way. I've often been called ginger ninja or just hear someone shouting ginger as I walk past.

Best Answer

that's so weird and juvenile, i'm sure they just jealously want a chat because you're just that hot of a ginger. :)

Best Answer

Oh yeah I am one red-hot ginger XD x

Best Answer

I always think of Ginger from Gilligan's Island... <br />
Everyone knows, that given the choice, all men always pick Maryanne.<br />
So ginger (to me) says more than just red.. it says 'second choice' as well.... <br />
the exact opposite of 'Better red than dead'....<br />
Then again - I never had a dead girl.

Best Answer

well, I have heard some fairly odd old wives tales about red heads...but that a new one...second choice huh

Best Answer

of course - ginger is sweet but hot... So in the midst of all speculations... I suppose it could mean everything at once. It's settled then. :P

Best Answer
Best Answer

that doesn't sound like that's the reason, it's a plant grow in warm regions. I would think they'd have to have ginger more like the ones we have here...which doesn't require tropical weather.

Best Answer

England was the great colonizer.... The Norfolk Pine which grows on a pacific Island close to Australia was named after the Duchess of Norfolk, England is very cosmopolitan...

Best Answer

hmmmm, maybe

Best Answer

Good question, but I'm more interested in knowing why they call a cigarette a ***?

Best Answer

people used to say that in the US too, but it's pretty much died out. Never understood the association

Best Answer

It seems that it originates in a term used in sailing, or shipping. In ship or sailor terms, a "***-end" was a rope that was frayed and useless at the end. Cigarettes have a non-smokable butt (or filter) on one end that is useless, so the term "***" got applied to the butts, and ended up being used for the whole of the cigarette.
The word "***" is a British term, used to describe a tobacco cigarette.

Best Answer

good to know, thanks for the history:)

Best Answer

Awesome! Thanks, I have seriously always wondered that, and knew it had nothing to do with sexual preference. Appreciate the answer!

Best Answer

I thought it was gingers because of Ginger on the tv show Gilligan's Island.

Best Answer

hmm, do you think that show was really that popular there?

Best Answer

I have no idea if this is true, but, I was told that we redheads are called "gingers" because of the sexy redhead called Ginger on Gilligands Island.

Best Answer

that show is really not that old so seems pretty unlikely unless you believe in those theories that events can effect the past

Best Answer

Because unlike in America where people can only see the color red white and blue, in England we are able to see multiple colors including orange which has the alternative name of ginger and seeing as orange haired people have orange not red hair, to call them a redhead is to call a light haired brunette; black haired.<br />
Not trying to be rude, but seriously you asked that question...

Best Answer

Because redheads are ginger. I'm ginger!

Best Answer

I don't know why, I think it just spread and now ginger in our minds (I'm british) is that orangey-red colour. Most people (nice people) call it auburn though if it is more of a darker 'ginger'-that is my hair colour.

Best Answer

to brits it doesn't have to make sence. like marching off to war in red uniforms and beating on a frazzing drum

Best Answer

Good point lets call the fat ones Pumpkins and the lean ones Carrots... lol.

Best Answer