I have to cook dinner, do dessert, make sure everyone bathes and brushes their teeth. Sometimes I'd even like some private time with my husband. How do we do it all?
lefteyeomine lefteyeomine 36-40, F 8 Answers Mar 30, 2010

A friend of mine did an interesting thing in this same situation; her kids 1b and 1g in grade school.

She set the 'homework time' to be 90 minutes. Period. The kids have 90 minutes to get their homework done or would lose privileges. She sat with them the first two weeks or so to help them develop the 'organizational/time management' side of doing any task that is a vital skill schools don't teach (*sigh* don't get me started about teaching to think instead of teaching to memorize).

The result has been for two years now the kids do their homework in 90 minutes AND they are getting As and Bs where they were getting Bs and Cs (they don't use the 'letter system' I grew up with and I don't even remember their terms but this is the 'gist' of their improvement).

Best Answer

If your child was earnestly working the whole time, that is way too much for a Third Grader.

As a parent, you have the right to set the time limit and tell the teacher in a note the assignment was too long. Don't let the kids in on this.

Best Answer

3 hours thats just brutal makes you wonder do they teach anything in class or hope the kids will pick it up in homework

Best Answer

yes, the school authorities should look into this. call their attention. such motivation will only lessen the children's interest in academics

Best Answer

It is getting ridiculous the amount of homework that is being dumped on children these days.

Often times my daughter claims she doesn't know how to do the work and I find that the teacher has sent home "instructions", so that I can assist (essentially teach) my daughter how to do the work.

Isn't that in her job description???

Best Answer

Are you sure that this is due to volume of homework, rather than your children getting distracted or procrastinating getting it done?

Not sure where you live. I teach middle school and the kids rarely get homework from any of their 6 teachers. During study hall there is hardly any studying going on because they have nothing to do. I give homework every night (practice your instrument -- do it or don't do it), but I don't expect 3 hours.

Best Answer

Over here, kids get half an hour max in Primary school, 3 hours is ridiculous.

Best Answer

3 hours is a lot, maybe you should mention this to the principal, or at least the tacher. Send in a note with your child, to the teacher... they may not realize it. Or they may not care. Life is odd like that

Best Answer