Most people I know who drink are "happy drunks." They giggle away, spew out random comments, talk/yell to everyone, and much more. After a lot of drinks, they'll occasionally start crying or whining about their problems. The first 2 or 3 times I drank I was a "happy drunk" (this may have been because I had drank caffeine prior). However, the past few times(sometimes after 1 drink, sometimes after a few), the alcohol has had exactly the opposite effect on me. I end up talking much less, I just end up zoning out and thinking about my problems immediately, bypassing the "happy drunk" altogether. If I do talk, all I want to do is whine about my personal problems. Just feeling overall withdrawn, bitter and depressed. Why is it having this effect on me, the complete opposite as everyone else?
MyWhineAccount MyWhineAccount 18-21, F 17 Answers Sep 17, 2010

Cos you're depressing<br />
Lighten Up<br />
SMILE !

Best Answer

Hey Whine-o stop drinking. DUH.

Best Answer

Yeah I used to get depressed on drink as well. It is a natural depressant. I just have the odd drink now and again rather than end up feeling like that.

Best Answer

Alcohol *is* a depressant; you mean to seriously suggest that you don't know this?<br />
~F~

Best Answer

I knew that. It's just that it doesn't have this effect on everyone. I'm asking why I in particular feel that way.

Best Answer

Some people just cannot drink. ..It could be genetic., or even how good your liver is continuing to function..Add your pancreas to that...<br />
Need them both, so don't pickle them too early...<br />
good luck, and if you need help, go to aa.

Best Answer

I am normally depressed so I don't usually drink...... but I drank tonight and I regret it already... the simple answer is..... alcohol is a DEPRESSANT.... that's what alcohol does.....

Best Answer

My only suggestion might be that you can't always expect the alcohol to have fun for you. Think of it this way- if you have a drink or two and feel depressed, just stop drinking for an hour or two, the alcohol burns off, and you should feel better, right? Probly not. I bet if you were in the same social situation, you would more or less feel the same way with or without a few drinks. Things to try might be drinking less (try to fool everyone else if this is not socially acceptable), drink the same, or get shitfaced. Just make sure whatever you do you are open to having a good time. <br />
Also consider that maybe what everyone else is doing is not what you want the most/makes you the happiest.

Best Answer

Ethanol (main component of alcohol) is a neuro-depressant. It inhibits pathways between the frontal lobe and the hind brain. The frontal lobe, in normal conditions, controls thoughts and emotions that originate from the occipital lobe (emotion center). Drinking inhibits the function of the frontal lobe so emotions are not controlled and they 'spring out'. Depression is noticed most in individuals with high amount of stress who repress their emotions under normal conditions (In men this is the socially accepted way of handling emotions). So I would suggest that whatever it is that is causing the stress in your life, even if it seems minuscule or benign, that you take the time to handle it by talking to others about it or seeing a therapist. In the mean time, reduce your alcohol consumption. Inhibition of the frontal lobe as well as the adverse effects on the cerebellum can sometimes cause unwanted accidents induced by emotions. Moreover, depression increases the rate of drinking in most individuals which increases the chance of alcohol poisoning and liver cirrhosis.

Best Answer

Everyone goes through various stages of happiness and sadness when drinking. Some are happy and out going sober, but quiet and reflective when drinking. I wouldn't worry about it, maybe you really need to clear up your problems that bother you so next time you drink, the problems won't be hanging over your head waiting to surface when you are drinking. It's not healty to drink if you have problems in your life as drinking has a tendency to make your problems worse. You can't escape with alcohol or any drug for long, that's how addictions happen. <br />
You're young enough to keep life simple. Drinking is not a healthy passtime, I know I made the same mistakes at you age.<br />
A good test of just how funny anything that is said while people are drinking is, drink coffee all night while your friends get drunk .It's a real eye opener.

Best Answer

Biological make up. Listen to your body! Like the old joke; The patient says to the doctor..."it hurts when I put my hand over my head" and the doctor says; 'don't put your hand over your head!'

Best Answer

I dunno, some people are just "sad" drunks. Personally, I just find alcohol to be quite subduing. I'm the same as I normally am, just a bit more subdued. Drink a lot, and my brain shuts up, which is nice. In low/moderate doses, this may make me more fun, but more than that and I'm perfectly content to sit and stare at the wall as I drift off to sleep. I'd be the sort of person to drink alone in their apartment. Come to think of it, a nice, cold glass of vodka would be a nice way to end tonight.<br />
On the other hand, my dad's a "happy drunk", and life's a party to him when drinking.

Best Answer

I can't really answer other then the fact that alcohol is a depressant ~ If u have any mental health issues such as depressin that could certainly cause further depressin ! ~ I also get severly depressed when I drink ~ So I do not drink ~ more of a fan of stimulantes ~ Not suggesting their use ! ~ that's just me ~ Cheers ~

Best Answer

Drinking makes me happy to some extent. I usually am a happy drunk, but as of late I have been very sad. I cry a lot, I feel like I'd rather be dead than live my life. I'm so lost again. I fell out of control.

Best Answer