Not that long ago a lot immigrated from Europe to the US of A. Why this lack of interest?
wannashareit wannashareit 51-55, M 19 Answers Nov 12, 2012 in WTK

I think the real question is, Why do most European know quite a bit about the US of A; while the average American doesn't know that much about the US of A?

Best Answer

That is another question, but a valid one I am afraid.

Best Answer

Americans are not well traveled, and the majority who have go to places that are isolated from the local society (as in resorts - just think, one can go to the Yucatan yet only see the locals as only maids and waiters - damned sad.)<br />
Anyway, it seems from the "America is No. 1 crowd" that they don't want to travel because they are content with a low wage service economy with far less vacation than other developed nations. Hell, in my state last week the people voted to prevent themselves from bargaining with their employers. What a sick and dysfunctional people. I am sad for my delusional countrymen and women.

Best Answer

"Be the change you wish to see in the world"
It is sad the mistakes Americans make but there is hope.
My state legislature(bicameral R)switched both sides to D this week by large margins.Things are looking up :)

Best Answer

This doesn't sound very cheerful no. How do people get into this state of confusion?

Best Answer

I dont know but I find the USA fascinating ! I`m from England by the way lol

Best Answer

I did not say it isn't fascinating. I think they would be better of when they cared a bit more about the world around them. Thatś just it. For sure it's a fascinating country...and still a very powerful country as well.

Best Answer

I love European history. It is much more interesting than American and North American history. About the only thing you can learn about American history is colonization, The American Revolution , the Civil War, expansion West and everything else is modern history. <br />
But European history has so many twists and angles and it is much older. We learn as much about European history as we do about American history but there is so much more to learn......ancient Greece, ancient Rome, the British monarchy, the Hapsburg empire. Frederick the Great, Napoleon, the Catholic church, the Plague, European art, literature and philosophy............there is much more to learn.<br />
It is much richer. You can spend your entire life learning European history and not learn it all.

Best Answer

True, thank you. Don't rule South American History out though.

Best Answer

This is true, but I don't know much about it. It is not much older than America. But European history is exciting. Castles, knights, kings and queens, Hannibal crossing the Alps, Vikings, princesses, literature and languages .......good stuff I imagine Asian history is just as interesting, but I have never studied it. I studied Latin for 6 years and I love learning about Greek and Roman culture.

Best Answer

Because Americans aren't thinking individuals anymore: They're "consumers" and parts of "market segments" and members of "demographic groupsl". They are politically correct and are being taught that investigating any one group too much might be an invasion of privacy and worse that that: "Racial Profiling!". <br />
To sum up the thoughts of that great philosopher / scholar, George Carlin: "Things really suck".

Best Answer

The land of endless possibilities.....

Best Answer

Because they are very stupid people.

Best Answer

Not all of them I might hope; I just read that the US wins the majority of Nobel Prizes. Once they win the Nobel Peace Prize (Obama) they're not proud of it. Do you understand? :-)

Best Answer

Je comprends.

Best Answer

Vous m'en voyez ravi.

Best Answer

I think it's in part to the fact that our greedy employers here are the $$$$ stingiest with vacation time in the civilized world, we are lucky if we get maybe one or at the most 2 weeks a year for vacation...so we have less time to travel abroad and learn more about the world then the euro's who I hear get 4-6 weeks a year of vacation time.

Best Answer

I did not know you have that little vacation time. Over here we have about 20 to 30 working days vacation (mostly not in one row though). Depends on the job too. About the $$$$ greed: That's why all production work is shipped to China. No jobs in the US and the Chinese say: "thank you very much".

Best Answer

Well that's not telling me anything new, but yes...5 days vacation time a year is pretty normal here

Best Answer

Ironic, right?!

Best Answer

Very ironic.

Best Answer

Because we own the world, Duh! The US dollar is now the basis of virtually every economy in the world, our military is equal to the next six largest in the world combined, and we pay half the bills for NATO to defend Europe. Heck, we even routinely win half the Nobel Prizes and Olympic medals and we've got Hollywood that makes most of the movies in the world. Europe is just another boring province of the American Empire unless you're a history buff.

Best Answer

Hollywood lost 30% of its production capacity this year only and the most movies are made in India (Bollywood). Maybe you heard of it.
Once the Dollar stops being the major currency (which eventually will happen because the Chinese want it) you will experience trouble you've never experienced before. I do not say we don't have our own problems. Underestimating the ones the US have is what is the main problem indeed. You just made a good example. Thank you.

Best Answer

Last year for the first time video games made more money than all the Hollywood movies combined. There are already plans to produce at least two video games I know that use the exact same graphics as the movies so Bollywood is about to become the B movie capital of the world, while Hollywood moves on to bigger and better things. If the dollar collapses it will bring down the entire world economy including that of the Chinese which is already slowing dramatically. Conservative estimates are the wealthy will loose half the value of their assets, but in this game it's who dies with the most toys that counts and not some abstract number in a bank account.

Best Answer

Wise words!

Best Answer

Probably because more Europeans would be interested in living in the US than Americans would be interested in living in Europe. You see a lot of people from all over the world trying to immigrate to America, but only a small number of Americans trying to immigrate to other countries. If this is the place where so many people want to immigrate to, people in other countries would naturally be interested in this country to understand the appeal.

Best Answer

Thatś because they don't know anything about these countries, I think. By the way; I know a lot of Americans living over here (Holland).

Best Answer

Exactly - wannashareit. After working in Europe, and Eastern Europe I keep on wondering why intelligent, educated Americans would not want to emigrate there.
I am lucky to have done well in my nation, and I love her geography, but I am fed up with the ignorant and religious troglodytes that wish to pull us back into another dark age. The world would do well to divorce itself from the militarized banana republic that America has become.

Best Answer

You make a lot of assumptions about what level of knowledge Americans have about other parts of the world. Whereas I admire what Holland has done regarding "gedoogbeleid" to address drug usage, Holland's problems with population density per land area and the constant need for more dikes to counteract rising sea levels are counterproductive to my preferences in a place to live. No matter where you live in this world, there will be pros and cons. Discontentment is the catalyst hat provokes a desire to change where one lives. I'm relatively content with where I am, so why would I wish to relocate?

Best Answer

If you will recall from world history, after World War 1, America became an isolationist country. We tried to remain isolationist during World War 2, and despite our declaring a neutral stance, we were attacked without provocation and dragged into the global conflict. I think that we would be very stupid "troglodytes" to ever let our guard down again. More and more Americans are calling for us to return to isolationism, but in a more militarily-readied form than we foolishly allowed ourselves to be prior to World War 2. That way, if some warmongering idiot decides to "wake the sleeping giant" again like happened when Pearl Harbor was attacked, we won't have to play catch up on being militarized like we had to do when dragged into World War 2. We tried neutrality and trusting once. Never again. If American isolationism and neutrality happens again, it will be without one ounce of trust involved. Due to America's involvement in the world stage as a military presence, we've not had a World War for 67 years. If and when we withdraw from the world stage as a military presence again, I give it less than a decade before one of you 'more civilized' countries starts another World War.

Best Answer

No wishes whatsoever; I understand. I have to say these are only your wishes (nothing wrong with that). When everybody thinks like a born individualist we won't get very far. That's why I pay to build dikes to keep the water out while living in an area where we do not need dikes. Thereby we export this "product". To New Orleans e.g. Last storm did not hurt them partly because of dikes invented in Holland. Made in the US of A.

Best Answer

Here I agree with you completely. Thank you.

Best Answer

I suppose for the same reason back in the day all the world knew about Rome;<br />
but maybe its late in the day and our grandchildren will know all about China.

Best Answer

That will come true for sure.

Best Answer

I think, maybe because of the old English empire, we look upon other countries, and America, as lil parts of us. Think, perhaps, the rest of Europe thinks the same - many people have left to find a new life in America. <br />
We're all worldly wise......unfortunately, America is self interested....<br />
Plus, our media seems to be more transparent.....and interested in world events....

Best Answer

The media plays a huge roll in this yes.

Best Answer

The average American doesn't know or care much about anything outside their personal bubble. Besides the reason citizens of other countries know so much about us is because we are so kick-***(sarcasm).

Best Answer

:-D

Best Answer

History has been taken over by the conservatives and rednecks.Civics classes,debates,etc. are nonexistent.We need to make knowledge cool again.I'm ashamed by conservatives representing America.We're smarter and better than that.

Best Answer

That's quite true. The more (not all of them of course) sensible answers over here come from Democrats I am sorry to say.

Best Answer

America is 1 country Europe is about 50 countries. I doubt many Europeans know much beyond the country they were born in and probably not even that much

Best Answer

The European educational system is 10x better than the one in Australia (here) and the one in America. I came from Greece, to Australia when I was 13. I was in year 8 and they were introducing us algebra. The teacher said I was good enough to be in year 10. Over there, it is way better than over here.

Best Answer

Are you trying to tell me every country in Europe has the same standard of education?

Best Answer

I respectfully disagree. America is also like 50 countries in one...Maybe we the Europeans are less self-centered and more curious to go beyond our comfort zone? Im not either saying that all of us know everything about all the European states, but thanks to exchange programs like Erasmus, we know quite a few things :)

Best Answer

Thank you.

Best Answer

Thank You!

Best Answer

True! Thank you. We must take care that this doesn't become US of A- bashing that's not what I meant.

Best Answer

where you talking to me?

Best Answer

To all of you who maybe got the wrong impression. So when you did not I did not talk to you ;-)
xW

Best Answer

Because Americans biologically tend to care about America. It's something I picked up on. Dating, Friends and Travel.

Best Answer

"biologically" ?? ... I think it's more about each individual and how they were raised or their own personal outlook.

Best Answer

yeah, I wanted to fit that in. Most of the Americans I associate with though don't have much interest in foreign affairs, unless it involves them.

Best Answer

Americans should care about their country. Caring about ones country means, among other things, looking outward, not only inward. xWanna

Best Answer