righteouschica righteouschica 18-21, F 22 Answers Nov 22, 2012 in Politics

The original Thanksgiving wasn't celebrated by "Americans" but by recently arrived English people at a time when the colonies were still a part of England - interesting since it is viewed as an "American" holiday. But history aside, the holiday has evolved into a day of thanks. It isn't a patriotic holiday or a historical one. It's a day set aside to think about and be thankful for what you have. It is sentimental in a lot of ways - those of us who are older remember the loved ones who are no longer with us while giving thanks for the loved ones we still have. While we should never forget history, we need to move on and realize that this is the meaning of Thanksgiving today - it has nothing to do with the settling of the US and the resulting destruction of the Native Americans.

Best Answer

Well said!

Best Answer

Thanks!

Best Answer

i'm not even american and i know the origin of thanksgiving..it's got nothing to do with genocide.

Best Answer

This holiday is for families to get together, stuff themselves and usually put the FUN in dysfunctional., but it's also a good day to reflect on all the things we have to be thankful for.

Best Answer

Thanksgiving has nothing to do with genocide and everything to do with a holiday expressly created to sell harvest vegetables near the end of the season. Harvest feasts were popular in the time of the Pilgrims but there wasn't one special one, just one documented more than others and promoted during Lincoln's administration during the Civil War.

To modern Americans who LIKE the holiday it's about giving thanks for whatever you happen to be thankful for. It's a day for family and food. Not everyone likes it, and they're more than welcome to abstain. I'm mostly thankful we live in a country where we can make those choices. :)

Best Answer

i have no idea where did thanksgiving came from

Best Answer

...because the English people on the boat were very thankful that they landed in America and had religious freedom. The unfair bloodbath was yet to come. As an American, I regret that we've had a vicious past, but I like my country. I am thankful I am here. As the child of an English immigrant father and an American Heinz 57 mother (who is partially of Cherokee and Shawnee descent), I feel I owe my entire existence to the United States. Yes, there was a lot of death, cruelty, murder and theft in the United States' history, but the same could be said for humanity's history at large, and there is still plenty to be thankful for.

Best Answer

Thanksgiving does not celebrate genocide.

And furthermore, there is a difference between being militarily defeated, as the American Indians were, and being subjected to genocide in the common understanding of the term. And using the word in a different way from its common understanding is absolutely deplorable. If you want to talk about genocide, how about the Muslim invasion of India? I've heard the Muslims slaughtered tens of millions of Hindus.

Best Answer

What happened to the natives WAS a genocide. Would you say the Jews were "military defeated" by Hitler too, or does the term ONLY apply when the victims are white or the perpetrators of the crimes are non-white people?

Best Answer

No, you are dead wrong. There was no attempt to exterminate the American Indians. If there had been, it would have succeeded. Comparing it to the Holocaust is totally absurd. Jews had no armies and were not killing any German Gentiles. American Indians killed whites in numbers comparable to vice-versa. You don't have the right to manipulate the meaning of genocide to suit your political axes to grind. And what about the real genocide in the Muslim invasions of India?

Best Answer

American "Indians" did not kill anyone, they hadn't the proper equipment to kill. They were one of the most peaceful group of people on Earth. They did not want to fight. They were betrayed by the Europeans. Genocide, defined, means: gen·o·cide/ˈjenəˌsīd/
Noun:
The deliberate killing of a large group of people, esp. those of a particular ethnic group or nation. This definition does NOT say people who don't fight back can't be victims of genocide. In almost all of the tribal genocides in Africa, the victim tribes always fought back. But of course, when white people fight back its "self-defense" but when colored people do it, they become hateful & aggressive militants. Also, I know nothing about that issue and I am not going to take your word for it so I am not going to comment on that before I research it on my own :)

Best Answer

No, it was the greedy, power hungry Europeans who wanted to kill. The only reason Native Americans are painted this way is because history was rewritten to favor the white man.

Best Answer

"American "Indians" did not kill anyone, they hadn't the proper equipment to kill. They were one of the most peaceful group of people on Earth." You are displaying your extreme ignorance with this remarks. I really want to know, WHO told you that? American Indians fought and killed other tribes on a large scale before whites came, and they killed many white civilians. They were proud, and still are, of their prowess as fighters. They had no chance militarily because they were outnumbered and technologically far behind. But they were renowned fighters, and the Europeans in North America loved to get Indians on board in fighting on their side against the rival European states. The American Indians were also renowned for their exquisite cruelty in torture of prisoners of war. But there was no campaign to exterminate Indians. There were a few white people who said "Why don't we exterminate the Indians?" Why would they have advocated that if it were already in play?
The case for there having been "genocide" against Indians is so weak that its advocates' favorite "evidence" is Indians catching disease in the early 1800s from blankets supplied for the winter by the US Army. There is a big problem with this--it was many decades before Louis Pasteur and the germ theory of disease, completely undermining the idea that it would have been known that blankets could transmit disease.

Best Answer

Have you even read the history of North America? Native Americans were slaughtered en masse by the European "explorers".

Best Answer

lmfao, oh you're so misled. *shakes head* you obviously do not understand how Islamic history works, do you? You need more than 3 witnesses in order to make it accurate and all the hadiths you mentioned are inaccurate. LMFAO "in America, accuracy and objectivity in history-telling are and have long been highly valued" yea that's why Columbus is portrayed as such a peace loving and charming man.

Best Answer

The truth about Columbus is quite well known in America. I have long felt that Columbus Day in the US should be dropped because of Columbus' deficient character and because he was not the father of North American civilization anyway. He was the father of Latin America, something quite different. I believe Columbus Day persists in large part because Italian-Americans have adopted it as "their day", like Irish-Americans celebrate St. Patrick's Day as "their day." Also Columbus Day is an excuse for central government workers to take the day off, which they do as often as they can, But it's a minor affair, no speeches about what a swell fellow Columbus was.

Best Answer

righteouschica, What happened between the native Americans and the Europeans was simply one people conquering another people, that is what makes up most of history, the rest is progress, and mishaps. Hitler, Stalin, and Mao to name a few, committed genocide. What happened between the native Americans and Europeans was war and conquest. Horrible things happen during war.

Best Answer

they don't. only you do.

Best Answer

.

Best Answer

I love genocide. I think all humans should celebrate the dominance of America.

Best Answer

sadly, this is the attitude most Americans (unknowingly) have today.

Best Answer

Oh, we know about it. Would you like a copy of our Constitution? It will help you in your cultural inferiority.

Best Answer

as if you would know such things. isn't there something actually meaningful you can whine about?

Best Answer

Just look at some of the other answers on here. Also, try talking about the Palestinian genocide. Most Americans wouldn't give a rats ***. I don't give a **** about your constitution. No one even follows it, anyway. Your constitutional rights are being ******** away from under your noses by the NDAA and the Patriot Act and no one says or does anything about it *shrugs*

Best Answer

Are you saying we should follow the Constitution? I thought you said you didn't give a rats *** but apparently you do. If you think we're losing our rights then why do you care. You think we're a bunch of ******** anyways.

Best Answer

whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine

Best Answer

lmao, yea, choosing to stay vigilant is "whining" for the average American fool.

Best Answer

What's wrong with whining?

Best Answer

man, look, I am sorry if this issue offended you. I just wish people wouldn't shy away from their history, is all. As long as people accept what they did to the Natives and the truth is taught in schools, I have no problem with Americans celebrating thanksgiving.

Best Answer

It's not the history that offends me. I know that quiet well. It's however the dysfunctional attitude that I see. So much cynicism. This is purely hatred and nothing more.

Best Answer

for me everyday is thanksgiving, Father's day, Mother's day, Valentine's day...!!

and i dun kill birds for that..:P

Best Answer

Its not called grievsgiving... its called thanksgiving. They thank what they do have. I think another time they can grieve what they destroyed.

Best Answer

the genocide came after the lovely dinner

Best Answer

It's fun.

Best Answer

yea, exterminating an entire race to the point of extinction is fun.

Best Answer

What a deby-downer, get over it.

Best Answer

What a sad attitude to live with.

Best Answer

How is your attitude any less sad? I'm just saying, have fun and enjoy the new world and how far we have come, and stop living in the past.

Best Answer

Actually, RCHAFC, you're the one with the sad attitude in this case. You're the one associating Thanksgiving with genocide. You know good and well people aren't celebrating a genocide when we celebrate Thanksgiving. This is the sort of negativity that makes truly tolerant diversity a pipe dream.

Best Answer

What you're saying is true, however, what was done to the Native Americans was not fair at all and it is very sad that people are choosing to ignore and forget their own history.

Best Answer

We celebrate MLK day, Vet day, Fourth of July, which are holidays that represent some sort of tragedy. It's just America's way of coping with historic events, and remembering how far we have come as a nation.

Best Answer

I understand the “let’s just be thankful for what we have” argument, but ignoring the TRUE history of this “holiday”, and misleading school aged children into believing this is a respectful day, is appalling. This is not about Native Americans and Pilgrims breaking bread. Be honest with yourselves…Native Americans were abused and murdered and we celebrate this while conning ourselves into thinking it’s about giving thanks.

Best Answer

and how far have you come as a nation? slaves to corporations, the media, imperial conquests overseas...and now your rights are being ******** away by the NDAA and the Patriot Act right under your own noses...

Best Answer

American Indians are not extinct. I am friends with some. I've dated some. They are a small minority, but they are NOT like the California Golden Bear or the Woolly Mammoth.

Best Answer

I doubt 90% of people care or think about the origin or "meaning" of it in any way. But it is celebrating gluttony and meat-eating which I find terribly disgusting.

Best Answer

Haha.

Best Answer

for the food

Best Answer

I don't know lol!

Best Answer