I had this with my friends and family and it hurt, i almost killed myself because i felt so lost and alone, and i was seeing a phychiatrist at the time, like many of said i think many people cant handle what they dont understand and distance themselves, but im my opinion friends should be there for one another at all times not when they choose or when your happy, the bad and the good, the same with partners . I know how it feels and if anyone needs a chat or a friendly person then im here :)

Best Answer

I have found this to be true about any disabling condition. I have depression as well as physical disabilities... I've found people fade away rather quickly once they learn about our situation. I had friends tell me 'you're holding me back" and end our friendship. <br />
I think not only do people not want to be put in a position of being 'supportive', because they don't know what to do or how to act, but also because they see something of themselves in us and it scares them that they may not be as emotionally secure as they thought. Being confronted with our issues is a reflection of the insecurities they may be dealing with.

Best Answer

If you suffer from depression on anything like a regular basis, please don't expect your friends to be able to help. It will be beyond their capacity. Get help. You are talking about death, so take some of the money that won't mean anything if you're dead and get professional help.<br />
And yes, I know what i'm talking about. 15 years of chronic depression that i don't have any longer.

Best Answer

14 years of chronic depression, 5 psychologists, 2 psychiatrists. They can't help either, there is very strong reasoning for my depression

Best Answer

Exactly. Don't be disappointed if your friends don't know how to handle it.

Best Answer

And don't give up.

Best Answer

they may have a good reason, otherwise, they are not a true friend..

Best Answer

i wouldnt have believed this could happen until i witnessed it for myself. i think that is a combination of all of the reasons given here.

Best Answer

probably because most of the time people dont make it clear to their friends that they suffer from depression. A lot of the time, they will say, Im tired, Im bored, I cant focus, but will not admit they are depressed directly. If they dont make it clear, friends wont be able to help.

Best Answer

they are what u call fair weathered friends, they should make at least a tiny little effort

Best Answer

They do not understand depression and the changes it brings to the depressed person. They are afraid.

Best Answer