I ask becasue i never hear someone say they are fifth generation english but I do hear it about scottish and irish all the time !
Nundochips Nundochips 31-35, M 22 Answers Jan 4, 2012

I always do. I'm half English and half Hungarian.

Best Answer

I cant think why im Scots /Irish

Best Answer

english / welsh decent. but true blue Auzzie.

Best Answer

Aussie's damit they are the worst :) j/k !

Best Answer

lol no way mate. we rock

Best Answer

Agree with the sentiment, it appears trendier to say you're of Irish/Scottish descent. I'm English, but have an Irish Grandad. My wife is English but has a Scottish Dad, and both his parents are Welsh.<br />
A significant number of Irish emigrated to England, but the figures at the time were collected as Ireland was part of the UK. In the USA however all immigrants were counted.<br />
Over a quarter of the English population is a minimum one 1/8 Irish. We have actually more Irish blood than the average American. <br />
The main reason for claiming descent other than English is that people like to show how far they've come from humble beginnings. The other is that the English never felt the need to protect their identity as they imposed it on the countries they colonised.

Best Answer

I realize I am late (very much so) to the party, but perhaps I can shed some light. Perhaps, the negative connotation that the association of English had carried about the time a portion of these individuals' ancestors migrated; or perhaps, English, as opposed to Irish or Scots, sounds a bit boring to them. Just as the concept of being White may; hence, the claims of being 1/16 such-and-such tribe Indian on their father's side, etc. In addition, maybe those others are easier to remember amid the plethora of lineages present here in the U.S. I mean one of the drawbacks of being a White American, in my opinion, is being so mixed. The typical answer, as to what one is, from a white person is something like this: well, let's see, I am German, Irish, Italian, Polish, and Cherokee on my Dad's side; go figure!<br />
Me, myself, I am quite fortunate. In terms of the more easily observed recent history, I am of pure British decent on my father's side, e.g. Welsh-English (which= Welsh immigrants who went to live in England), Scot-Irish (which, really means a descended of Scottish migrant land-owners) on my father's side, and Mexican (Basque-Spanish with a little bit of Aztec) on my mother's side. Thus, I am , in terms of modern civilization, 50% British and 50% Latino/Hispanic; or simply stated, an American ***** who is a hot alcoholic womanizer with sub-par teeth who is good at football (soccer), and even better at wooing with his hybrid trait of dry British wit and Latin charm.<br />
; ()

Best Answer

Because nearly everyone in America can say they are whatever % of whatever generation English. And in a lot of peoples minds being English has a negative connotation when you look back at history.(invasion, tyranny, religious suppression, etc.). The Irish did the dirty work of helping build this country in the service of the English. They are a proud people, regardless of how they were/are treated, and a lot of Irish, came to America to be free of English occupation....<br />
Also, sometimes if someone states they are Irish, it is kind of a preemptive warning not to mess with them, we tend to have tempers, and don't really back down from a fight. The fight or flight instinct just isn't there, it fight or fight harder...(yes, even the women, at least in my experience) ;)

Best Answer

My Great-Grandparents came from London.

Best Answer

Because everyone in Britten Are from other country's because of the most epic empire we acquired

Best Answer

But why do you never hear people say they are of english heritage or from a certain generation of english ? that was the question ?

Best Answer

Well if you think about it we are all from central and western Europe including Scandinavia so no one really is pure Celtic British

Best Answer

but why do loads if people say they are from scottish/Irish heritage or as in the question from a certain generation like I'm fifth generaton scottish/Irish ? but they you never hear people say it about english, ........ nevermind lol

Best Answer

Yeah i happen to miss the point some how but it is weird

Best Answer

Because the english are descended from saxon invaders and they do not have celtic blood .

Best Answer

lol i know that i mean why does anyone not say they are of english descent never heard it said !

Best Answer

apart from 2 or 3 on this thread lol !

Best Answer

if i understand your question(in itself a shaky premise) the anawer might be that the people who say they are of Irish/Scottish descent ARE of IRISH/SCOTTISH descent!i am of Irish ancestory and say so freely ;the English among you can speak for yourself! i could be wrong.......peace

Best Answer

My questions only meant that I never hear people saying they are of english heritage or that along the lines of if they are of a certain generation like fifth or sixth but i always hear people say they are a certain generation of scots/irish.

Best Answer

I am

Best Answer

i am of english decent!

Best Answer

Decent answer !

Best Answer

haha, i am also scotish, irish, british, welsh and native american! =3 but i am more of english decent. =3

Best Answer

I am half Puerto Rican, the other half comprised of Scottish, Irish, English, German, and Cherokee. So I'm a bit of a mutt.

Best Answer