Religion is very personal. And it is easy to push certain buttons when it is discussed. Easy for misinterpretation and defensiveness. Those who do believe often feel the need to press their beliefs on others. Nonbelievers often feel the need to press their doubts about religion on believers. Each group hopes to "enlighten" the other. To those who are not convinced, the believers seem arrogant and smug. Or ignorant. So when their beliefs get questioned, they often become defensive. Likewise, believers see nonbelievers the same way...ignorant. Pompous in their beliefs. Persecutory. <br />
Even if the attitudes are not so strong or contentious, there is still an element of "you believe differently; therefore you are saying I am wrong". Only the most mature, sensible, or understanding people can engage in a religious debate or contrary discussion about their most personal beliefs without getting their feathers ruffled..<br />
So the mere mention of a belief, or the questioning of it, can put people on the defensive. What we believe about God, the nature of sin and forgiveness, the facts we cling to about Heaven and Hell, and death are intrinsic to who we each are. The existence of God is probably the most important issue in the history of mankind. It shouldn't be a "touchy" subject, but people have fought wars over it. Died for it. Is it any surprise that it causes discomfort or anger on EP? <br />
It seems to me that a firm belief should bring a degree of comfort, confidence and a peace to mind and spirit. If something is known as truth, then it just is. No disbelief or doubt will change that.

Best Answer

Awesome reply! Thank you, :)

Best Answer

love wins out, no worries.

Best Answer

If thoes you talk to do not know the Lord they are not going go gung hoo over what you are saying to know God is a peronal experience.So you can't just pour it on them and if they knew the Lord at one time and have drifted away for reason or another,it is going to be a sour spott with them,mainly because they are feeling bad about it.We have to look at the other other person with compasion and love the way Jesus did.<br />
and trust in Him for the right words the way he trusted His Father.

Best Answer

Good answer, Thank you :)

Best Answer

Your conviction that you have the answer, that your belief is correct, is annoying and I think it is ignorant. <br />
How can you have the presumption to believe that God has told you the TRUTH and no one else? <br />
You won't even consdier that you might be acting the fool? That you might be brainwashed? That you might have just taken the pap and dogma spoon fed to you as doctrine and swallowed it down without even a thought?<br />
Faith is belief without proof. <br />
My faith is as good as yours or anyone elses.<br />
And you are welcome to ask whatever you want here, just be prepared for answers that you are uncomfortable with. <br />
This is not your bible study group.

Best Answer

I think it is the judgmental attitude of those who do have a religious conviction that puts most people off. Have you listened to yourself??

Best Answer

Wasn't angry either. Is humour proscribed in your philosophy of life?<br />
BTW your love radiates . Not. (cf your latest comment)

Best Answer

Trust me, you didn't even manage to raise my pulse rate by even one notch.<br />
Edit: Well, being as everyone on here is different, and is asking different questions, it stands to reason that I would answer differently.<br />
*Runs to my room, sobbing in anguish that my words have failed!*

Best Answer

Which people do you mean? The believers or the non-believers?<br />
Why people become angry is about something that paralels with the death of Gabriella Gifford. She died for the same reasons (multiple) you do not get straight answers.

Best Answer

I become bored when God is mentioned. It's a boring subject, the Bible in general being poorly written and full of errors. I am happy to discuss personal convictions but cults, organised religion and dogma don't interest me.

Best Answer

not a religious person, but ur right, ep is a place for questions, if it offends someone for a good reason, then they should write it down, but as u said it was a basic question, if they dnt believe and if there just gonna b dicks then they should ignore it. (coming frm an atheist )

Best Answer

As I said before, I think that problem is that you weren't specific enough in your question and people didn't realize that you were asking specifically about nip and tuck's. <br />
People are entitled to their own opinions and belief's. They don't have to believe in a God, and that is ignorance on YOUR part for trying to make them believe so. It you can't handle people's responses, then don't talk about such a controversial subject.

Best Answer

It is not the questions that offend. It is specific words. I saw a bumper sticker about 3 years ago that has always stayed with me. "GOD IS TOO BIG TO BE CALLED BY ONE NAME" Regardless of what form your belief takes, it is still a spiritual belief ba<x>sed on good, and love and hope. If you live and spiritual life, the name you call that thing out there becomes secondary. Don't believe me? Try posting the same questions you did but with a different word than God. See what the responses are. Your beliefs are as valid as the next. Your faith remains as true as it has ever been. See the world through other eyes and understand that all of us are searching for that spirit that comes through understanding, patience, and love.

Best Answer