superficialife superficialife 22-25, F 10 Answers Oct 19, 2012 in Community

Free will is just in the state of mind..Its not really the physical..I guess.

Best Answer

They believe in free will of what they can control about themselves - not the forces that created us

Best Answer

I have no clue.

Best Answer

You can change your mind. Free will isn't worth that much if you're not aware of the choices you have.

Best Answer

Spread'um baby!

I simply choose to ;p> EAT YOU! :)

Best Answer

Is that what it takes to have free will?

Best Answer

I don't, but I do believe we all have choices...just that they are limited by circumstance and ability

Best Answer

It depends on the definition of free will... Same answer as I always give. The self is the default position of the self, so when we bow to the whims of the natural body and mind, it's free will.

Best Answer

But we didn't make our choose our body or mind though bro...

Best Answer

We didn't choose our minds or our bodies, and those things, combined with external influence, force us to make the decisions that we make, and dictate what happens in our lives. Agreed so far?
However, our body and mind is defined as the self. And free will is defined as the capability of the self to make decisions. Yes, we're at the mercy of biology, but biology IS the self, so it's still free will, depending on the definition of free will.
I'm aware of all the arguments, and I really don't care if we have free will or not, so it's not bias. Either way, my brain is going to make decisions without "my" consent. Try looking at it from a materialist's perspective, where the mind is the brain.

Best Answer

Okay I see what you mean, and I like how you put it...
"Either way, my brain is going to make decisions without "my" consent. "
Biology is the "self", the self that we did not make...
So would you agree that we don't have absolute free will... but only a limited free will amongst the choices presented before us that we are forced to choose from IF we want to stay alive?

Best Answer

Of course. I never really thought free will could be anything other than that.

Best Answer

Because you can choose not to exist, you can choose to develop your mind, your body, and while you can't choose your world (unless you work in NASA, I suppose) you can work to change your world into whatever you want.

Best Answer

That answer's not going to fly. The easy rebuttal is that you're not deciding; we're at the mercy of environmental and biological factors that dictate our personality and decisions. See my above answer if you'd like a reason for why free will exists...

Best Answer

only if you believe we're at the mercy of our environment. Many spiritual people would say otherwise, that they can transcend into a greater being beyond the confines of our earthly world and sciences.
this is a philosophical question with many answers, all of which are correct or at least as plausible as another.

Best Answer

I can work with what I have, but what I have I did not choose in the first place though...

Best Answer

I'd think you would have to have a pre-existing prejudice towards certain traits to be able to make decisions in the first place so in a way, I suppose you'd never truly be able to have free will because you'd have to be bound by something that would predisposition you towards one choice versus another. Otherwise you'd just be apathetic, but then you'd be making no choices at all, which brings us back to square one. It's a little trippy to think about lol. Interesting.

Best Answer