My kinda-friend has a big legal problem that I've hounded her about in the past. Now it's blowing up in her face, and she's crying to me about it. I'm trying to be nice-- offering help and withholding the "I told you so"s. But she's ignoring my advice again! Just like she did the first time around. Why do people do this?
Mdear Mdear 18-21, F 12 Answers Nov 28, 2012 in Parenting & Family

Maybe because she doesn't really care, she just likes to vent about it.

Best Answer

she just wants to feel heard

Best Answer

She doesn't want help, she just wants sympathy. Tell her straight up that you tried to help, but that she ignored your advice and now she's paying the consequences.

Best Answer

If you can find a way to get her material that's sourced from somewhere else and suggest where she can find it. Some people respond better to information they find themselves rather than being told something by someone else

Best Answer

Because they think they are right.

Best Answer

it's two sides to a story...maybe she doesnt like your approach.

Best Answer

That makes sense...but why would she come back to me? Why wouldnt'd she tell me?

Best Answer

You know...I had a friend like that....and I think some people like being the victim. In a sick way they enjoy the attention it brings...the drama..

Best Answer

Some people need hugs

Best Answer

I think it was more than that. I was there for her...I supported her....but no matter how I tried to help...she let herself be run over by this guy. And it was always the topic/focus of our conversation. It's liked she thrived on being the victim....

Best Answer

LOL - I wonder the same thing (every minute and hour) of my day....... because my friends and family call me all the time for advice and I give it to them - over and over again...... and then I ask "What? - didnt they listen the first 10x I told them"

Best Answer

Because they can !!<br />
They don't like what they are hearing, so they ignore it, next time just shrug your shoulder and say, that's awful, you should sort that out ! and leave it at that.

Best Answer