There are many way how people hurt themselves, some people are more prone to self-sabotage than others. Probably twenty percent of the population engage in self-sabotaging behaviors regularly .People use drugs, break the law, steal, starve themselves, find and stay in abusive relationships, cheat on their spouse, drive too fast, drink themselves to death, overeat, don't exercise, push people away, or don't go to the doctor when they get sick, just to mention the most common behavoirs.

Best Answer

Believe me ... cutters have a hard time understandin SH as well.

Best Answer

Sometimes we do it as self punishment for things we blame ourselves for, even if it isn't something we have control over. Like when our family goes through multiple divorces, we might blame ourselves, I know i did. Or like if we feel we are an aweful person for something we thought or did. And yes, while sex may relase the endorphins, sometimes though pain is too much for that alone. Same with excorsise, and for somebody like me who was injured in a sport and can no longer participate insports, it feeling like a fatal blow, where a part of yourself is missing and you have this craving to fill that hole. Sometimes we might feel so angry and we want to take it out on something but the fear of hurting somebody else causes us to take it out on ourselves. When i first started cutting it was because i was having a very bad family problem, three divorces in two years. My mother and i were not getting along and she would constantly guilt trip me for not living with her when she moved to a different town. If i had done that i would have had to change schools, so i stayed with my dad and exstep-dad. But mom made me feel so guilty i felt like an aweful daughter dispite the abuse i suffered as a child, so on christmas one year i could not take it and that was when i began cutting. Mind you, it was very easy to hide. My back, legs, hips, any spot that was covered by clothing, even my shoulders, but never my wrists or close to there. No one ever knew for two years. Alot of people would tear me apart for all sorts of different things and when i cut, i felt like i was releasing the stress. And i liked the pain, i felt like i deserved it because of who i was. When my closest friend stabbed me in the back and spread a rummor around the school about me, no one would talk to me and i filled the gap with the worst cutting i had ever done. The pain of the cut was like letting steam out of an over pressured machine. Does this make any sense?

Best Answer

so we can control the on set of the pain instead of it always controlling us.

Best Answer

It's a pretty effective way to quickly relieve stress.

Best Answer

a lot of reasons<br />
like any similar act people do<br />
a lot of it stems from a need for attention<br />
could be resulting from low self-esteem, depression, or any of a hundred other reasons - mostly ba<x>sed on mental rather than physical problems.

Best Answer

Some people get so much of emotional pain that self-inflicting physical pain is the only painkiller they can have at hand.

Best Answer

Usually people who cut themselves (I use to do it) suffer from extreme mental or physical pain. People usually use it as a stress reliever, I did it because the pain was something to focus on instead of my bigger problems. It was almost like a distraction from everything else that was happening.

Best Answer

But why cutting and not something else? I understand what it means to you - relieving one pain by causing another. Sort of a distraction... What I don't understand is - why particularly that distraction instead of another?

Best Answer

because that person feels as though they need an extreme pain to forget about another one. usually teens choose cutting because it's an easy way to hide from adults and others and doesn't usually require going to the emergency room.

Best Answer

I think I understand a little bit better. When I was growing up, adults around me were constantly drilling in my head the Latin proverb Mens sana in corpore sano (a sound mind in a healthy body). I guess that cutting makes a balance the other way around, sort of distributing the pain in your mind across your body. Ok, that was helpful, thanks for your answer :)

Best Answer

ok.. imagine holding your breath so much that you're going to explode. then exhaling. it feels like that.. cutting also releases chemicals called endorphins.. which are pain relieving chemicals really. cutting temporarily fixes all the bad feelings you have.. buuut then they come right back round and you have to do it again

Best Answer

but any physical activity releases endorphins - exercising, running, sex... so does a lot of other things, depending on your personality - reading a good book, writing, painting, cooking.... mastering a new skill (for example learning how to ride a bike)... So that is what I don't understand - is it that cutting is the only thing that relieves the pain and no joy can be found in anything else or is it something else?

Best Answer

I personally cut myself because I'd rather take it out on myself than anyone else.

Best Answer

That sounds like whatever you need to take out has to be taken out on a living thing, and that's just not true. Life is more complicated than just 'me' and 'others', there is a lot of everything else in between...

Best Answer

That's true, we all have our own reasons though. That's just how it goes. Some people do it just to fit in though, others do it bc of past problems.

Best Answer

That is so true. Hurting also talks a lot about anger.

Best Answer