Speaking as a fully paid-up pedant and editor, I find poor grammar or spelling frustrating and have an inbuilt urge to correct it. Also, if someone *can* do it properly but doesn't when they write to me, I tend to take it as a comment on their opinion of me.<br />
Ultimately, you're right that it's just a cosmetic issue and not really that important, but so is how you choose to dress, and people freely criticise others for their choices in that area too. It's (an unpleasant part of) human nature to judge others whenever they don't come up to our standards.

Best Answer

Yep, that's kind of what I figured. But I'm not sure about your first point... I think that most people that do not use good grammar/spelling, do not know how.

Best Answer

Some don't, but quite a few others dash off emails really quickly, full of mistakes they wouldn't have made if they'd stopped to check. That's annoying!

Best Answer

True, but I blame spellcheck for my not knowing how to spell anything anymore. I guess what bugs the crap out of me the most is that in my field, I get critiqued quite a lot, and so I find myself doing it too. (That's what bugs me the most.) I can't even enjoy a book or read what someone is saying anymore without ignoring the content and feeling smug to myself that they misused "their" or mispelled "mistake."

Best Answer

Me too; errors in books really jump out at me. Though I feel more irritated than smug at spotting them.

Best Answer

Well, I don't really feel smug... I guess that's just how people who spend their time analyzing my use of prepositions come across to me, so when I do it too, I emulated that feeling.

Best Answer

I totally agree with you!<br />
Being honest, sometimes it is nerve wrecking when they speak in text. It would agravate me if the whole sentence is wrong. If it is a few mistakes, then I don't care. I also make mistakes myself and I'm not any better.

Best Answer

Eye haff know eyedeeyah .. LIL! Really though, properly used spelling and grammar works in circles that place value on that. I like reading proper spelling and grammar but I also enjoy improper spelling and grammar, especially if there is humor in it.<br />
Ultimately, those who say `As long as I get the gist of it, it's fine' seem more multilingual and therefore more pleasant in general. I always corrected my children so that they would know how to speak in circles that might not be their own - but I didn't deduct intelligence points from them if they botched up an already botched English language...

Best Answer

If i can understand it, it's all good.

Best Answer

I agree 100 percent with u! But add that there is no tone of voice on text so a lot can be miscommunicated. As far as the spelling, some people just aren't good at it, who cares, their talent lies in other areas. Sometimes its just a matter of personality, I happen to be a great speller but a fast typer, I'm a laid back kinda girl so if I miss a key and spell something wrong I just figure my point will be made and anybody who knows how to read can figure it out. Now I could be rude and say that people who freak out about i t just feel superior to the rest of the world, and I'm sure some do, but again, its their personality and all of the rest of us just have to let it slide! Now, habe a gud day! (Wink!)

Best Answer

I think you're right with the, "add that there is no tone of voice on text so a lot can be miscommunicated" remark. But that sort of figures in to what I was whining about to begin with, that there is a lot more to communication than just a string of letters and symbols. People can communicate without using words or letters at all.

Best Answer

Exactly! Wow...am I really having a searious conversation? Nice, very nice.

Best Answer

Some people are sticklers over such things. Most aren't that way about grammar, but they might exhibit the same kind of interest in maintaining a certain standard in other areas. <br />
It might be a way for some to feel superior. Some folks believe that language in its proper form is worth preserving. Some people are just frustrated over how people might be lazy or disregard the rules in language. I guess that there has been a general breakdown in grammar and spelling over the years- at least in journalistic standards- and that bothers some folks. Maybe trying to maintain a certain standard for language makes folks feel less out of control of other things that seem to be garnering less attention than they deserve.<br />
I suppose it's like people who care a lot about certain manners or social guidelines. Whether you chew gum with your mouth open, use the correct fork, wear appropriate clothing, or if certain things are done "just so". Most of us have something that we are that way about.

Best Answer

"I suppose it's like people who care a lot about certain manners or social guidelines." I guess I never thought of it in that context. I guess in some circles it might be considered rude to talk like a bumpkin.

Best Answer

LOL. I think that sticklers just believe that people are being lazy when they don't do things correctly. Or they assume that people should educate themselves. They are more about quality control. ;)

Best Answer

ur rite, m8 !

Best Answer

Because they are anal .

Best Answer

I go back over what I type here five six seven times and I know I don't catch all my mistakes,since I'm ignorant of so much to begin with ...I can kinda (oh, who cares!) understand though when people get upset about grammar and stuff....somebody who is going to hang out at EP is probably somebody who loves words...and you want the thing you love to be treated well.\<br />
Just to be a devils advocate....good grammar can facilitate clear thinking....now I sound like a Joisey gangster when I speak and have a high school education, raised by a woman with an eighth grade education so I ain't no grammar snob but can see the good in it.<br />
TMI.....again.

Best Answer