QuiriousMe QuiriousMe 41-45, F 14 Answers Jan 8 in Community

Many people that don't believe in God feel as though they are judged harshly for their beliefs. It makes people defensive. We also tend to worry we are going to be preached to or that Christians will try to "convert" you. Stuff like that does happen often when you openly admit you don't believe. <br />
Personally, I don't freak when the topic comes up. I feel everyone is entitled to their religious views and I will happily respect yours if you respect mine.

Best Answer

Awesome :)

Best Answer

Because nobody sits the fence on the issue of God. People either passionately believe, or passionately don't. ;/

Best Answer

because god is the word.<br />
paradox 2 and i have only just started.<br />
although some people think grease is the word (im not buying it frankie!)

Best Answer

When I joined AA, like so many others I recoiled when I heard the word god spoken. While I've always believed there was a power greater than myself at work in the universe; a walk on the beach tells me this is so; I did not believe that power had anything to do with my life.<br />
I have since found the spiritual god of my understanding and I now understand that I did not know who or what god is and I was recoiling not at the concept of god, but from the religious god of my youth.

Best Answer

It is only DOG backwards

Best Answer

And this is why dogs are so awesome!!!

Best Answer

Sorry could not resist it, but I do not understand why people get so strange when you mention the word I have feeling it is the BIGGEST CON ever though, just think about it people have been for a very long time been giving money for something that nobody has ever seen or can prove to actually exist

Best Answer

Religion is the con...not God. Money is an idol for some...it is worshipped and revered and yet in truth it holds little value...it's merely a piece of paper that the government keeps printing off to keep us little people feel falsely safe and in check

Best Answer

I am neither anti nor pro just prefer not to get involved with it at all, too many people distort it for their own purposes regardless of which religion it is
I like the paper though can get many nice things with it

Best Answer

Yes...for now...

Best Answer

I don't. It is just a label that humans put on things that has little or no foundation in reality. People can say god to me until they are as blue as a Hindu deity and it won't bother me.

Best Answer

because they are paranoid and they think the worst like you're going to preach to them or teach them things from an Ungodly book , its gotten to the point where you must be careful who you open up with about God , there are a lot of hurt people out there too , thinking God has abandoned them , ugh ! Plus they want indisputable Proof that God even exists , thats an tough one or impossible to provide except by word of truth from another's experiences in God

Best Answer

because it's been abused for millennia

Best Answer

Yes much evil has been done in the name of God...He gets all the blame

Best Answer

Depends. Are you taking their cookies from them at the same time?

Best Answer

No...but people still freak. It would make sense if I were taking their cookies :)

Best Answer

Because you forgot the o,hahaha

Best Answer

?

Best Answer

Ok,it wasn't funny don't worry about it.

Best Answer

Awww man, I am worried about it :(

Best Answer

It's ok.

Best Answer

Because you're taking that name in vain.

Best Answer

How do you take a name in vain?

Best Answer

To be honest i dont know.

Best Answer

it means you use it lightly, and without respect - blaspheming is essentially the origin of all profanity

Best Answer

just think on the root of profanity - profane

Best Answer

But I am not using blasphemy when I mention His name

Best Answer

i wasn't inferring anything about your usage, just couldn't resist explanation

Best Answer

No worries...I thank you for clarifying :)

Best Answer

I think people have become so disillusioned, so distrustful of themselves and each other..not to mention Prayer being removed from schools and it becoming increasingly expected to be politically correct and say Happy holidays, that people get afraid

Best Answer

You talk about people being bent out of shape with the word God. Have you seen how people react to the word Allah.

Best Answer

It's a shame, truly

Best Answer

I think it means to use a name without any intention of addressing the person, therefore it would be in vain. But what would be the fun in that? ;)

Best Answer

What do you mean?

Best Answer

Vain (adj.) - Producing no result. So if you're using a name with no intended result, you'd be using it in vain. This apparently happens to be offensive to people of religion.

Best Answer

i'd be careful of reading too much into the simple dictionary meaning of 'vain' here - don't forget this line has been taken from ancient texts and translated through about four languages

Best Answer

Not to mention popes and other rulers who wanted to instill fear into people. Most of Christian rituals are based in pagan faith. They did this so that Pagans would be more agreeable to converting to Christianity

Best Answer

if you want to get into the simple phenomenology of blasphemy it goes to the idea that reality shouldn't be reduced, and because the name of God stands for all of reality, to speak that name is to reduce reality to something banal and token - it's not actually that stupid, and is why even today smart faithful don't use the word a lot

Best Answer

at least not outside of circles of rapport where they know they won't be misunderstood

Best Answer

There is a reason why people don't speak Old English anymore; language usage changes with the times. If people are using an outdated saying, they should expect the possibility of the meaning being somewhat lost in translation.

Best Answer

yeah, well, this is one of reasons why religion is so hard to understand, and why i neither take it as literal truth, nor disregard it as naive fantasy

Best Answer