I asked a question earlier, only to be harassed by a crowd that told me that I needed to "grow up" and "grow a spine" because I was flagging Offensive comments and they told me the world was a cruel dark place. I still believe that humans are basically warm and accepting. I do NOT understand why so many people think we are monsters. What psychologist are YOU listening to? Ayn Rand? The sociopath?
ManifestoOfThePhoenix ManifestoOfThePhoenix 26-30, M 15 Answers Jan 8, 2012

We go by example on EP. Almost all of us are social castaways trying to hovel in a small group to protect ourselves from the mass majority of people that want to kill us.

Best Answer

ohhh! the way you talk makes me feel like world is going to end
plz dont think like that....its little sad and scary

Best Answer

Realists.

Best Answer

I think people are harsh on others simply because they are uneducated. I feel bad for people who judge others for it only shows their own insecurities. Who are we to judge another human being for living their own life?

Best Answer

My dad. His words and his actions.<br />
When your beloved parent decides you are most useful as a s*x toy and punching bag, it tends to permanently affect your view of things.<br />
I'm a good person, in part because of my unofficial Life Motto: "Don't be dad."<br />
But I know there are lots of people like him.<br />
(Sorry, feeling a lot of self-pity ATM)

Best Answer

They are listening to the voice of experience a lot of the time.

Best Answer

I truly believe, that one should move towarda an unconditioned mind. The idea that all people who act X way will be abusive, the notion that all people will hurt you, are lies... this is what "Experience" does to people-it shuts them off from new experiences. And I'd rather be FOREVER naive than JADED.

Best Answer

I don't think they were right to be offensive to you, but neither do I think you were right to try and force your concept of what's offensive or not onto everyone else by flagging everything that bothers you.

Best Answer

Eh-IT was MY QUESTION. I Don't know what value anyone else reading got out of reading those responses-and I don't care to. If you're going to say something cruel kindly do it somewhere far away from here. And It's not like every "Flag" gets automatically approved. EP has to actually agree with me to take it down

Best Answer

i am also a psychology student.......<br />
there are mixed notions about true nature of humans because there are so many humans and each human is different<br />
if humans were warm then why would war and such brutal incidents happen?<br />
if humans were destructive then why we see so many kind acts and people struggling for worl peace, helping animals and stranger without expecting anything in return?<br />
there is never a absolute answer about how humans are...

Best Answer

i tend to flit between the optimistic and pessimistic view of humanity. i became severely depressed at humanity as a child for a number of reasons. first, i was socioculturally different from the kids around me in school so even though i had some really good friends, i was well aware of the differences. second, i had a father who was constantly filling my head with horror stories, telling me that the most powerful man in the world had a red button under his desk that if he pressed, would blow up the entire world. And thirdly, and most profoundly affecting me, was the neverending conflict of the house I grew up in. My parents were always fighting vociferously and i was always terrified and ridiculously sad and upset. So I developed this view that people = ****. Learning about animal abuse and war and environmental destruction and oppression and everything else just further convinced me that humanity would and should some day exterminate itself. It seemed to me that the world would be better off without it.<br />
Plus, when there's historically someone who is supremely compassionate and good, they (e.g. Jesus and a number of other people) get tortured and killed by their fellow man. <br />
If this is the sort of experience you have of humans, how are you to have a rosy view of things and a golden perception of humanity, pray tell?<br />
HOW And Ever, despite the many, many periods of suicidal ideation and other self-destructive thoughts, wishes and behaviours, I somehow managed - through books, art, friends, self-education etc. - to not hate individuals and even to embrace them (both metaphorically and literally). This is Jesus coming through me, like you were talking about in your other post. So yeah, I basically have this idea that as a whole, humanity is destructive and dangerous and full of yuckiness but on an individual level, people are not bad. Maybe a few are but even those might be salvageable, I'm not sure. <br />
Interesting discussion again, thanks :)

Best Answer

Wait, wait wait... where does Ayn Rand give a toxic view of human nature? Let me guess; You've never read any of her works, right? Do you think that you have all of the answers? You flag anyone who you find yourself in disagreement with? Some of what you disagree with might be from trolls, a discussion is pointless unless there are disagreements to be discussed, and enlightenment can only come if differences are honestly discussed with the ob<x>ject of finding 'truth.' Attempts to silence opposing thought are oppressive and contrary to a search for truth.<br />
BTW, Ayn Rand was not a psychologist, she was a philosopher and a novelist. Neither her philosophy nor her novels put forth any "toxic view of human nature"—quite the contrary, in fact.

Best Answer

Uhhh, the idea that human beings only should or do act in their own "Rational self interest" is a rather disgusting view of human nature, and her books are used as the primary fodder against my political philosophy. "it goes against human nature!" they say, because of course, they believe that human beings are fundamentally selfish individuals. How is being AGAINST Alturism not an ugly and deformed thing. I tried to read the viritue of selfishness, I have a synopsis of Atlas shrugged, all I can tell you is I do not believe any human is more important than any other human and I wholeheartedly believe the collective is ever more important than the individual. Not to such an extent that we could justify things like "The great leap forward" and the ideas put forward in 1984 where the state tried to control breeding, but seriously Love of others should be greater than love of self.

Best Answer

Any synopsis is going to be colored by its own author, and will not necessarily leave the same impression as reading the original work would; Atlas Shrugged is a fairly long novel, but even as a purely fictional work it is quite readable. The Virtue of Selfishness is probably not the best introduction to Rand's philosophy, and is perhaps too abstract. Setting aside abstracts and sentimentalism, the Collective, when represented by the State, or the Church, has destroyed more of humanity, and human well-being, than anything else in history, and the "rational self-interest" of Charles Dickens, Henry Ford, and Jonas Salk have enhanced the quality of countless human lives. It is well-intended sentiments, for the "collective good" that have given us the "Great Leap Forward" and the Holocaust.

Best Answer

you know i live in a small town. i can either live in the reality i see or the one i know to be tho i just cant see it. people are ****. by and large we only lurk among one another to satisfy our egos and pathetic desires. as a herd we've no control over ourselves. as individuals we do. we can stand for something. we can quarrel of the meaning for existence or struggle to provide one together... people are ****.... til we all rise up and be better men...

Best Answer

They are listening to the news. The negative stuff is pretty much all you hear. The tv shows now a days are filled with so much drama. Especially the "reality" tv shows. I haven't owned a tv for years now because there is so crap on that it drowns my well being. People feed off drama and negativity. It what sells. The video games that are top rated are the one where you kill one another. I guess it's very stimulating to be involved in watch and participate in those sorts of things.

Best Answer

I know right? I don't watch much TV anymore... i'm mostly on the computer and I've realized our people are not as violent as our politics suggest.

Best Answer

Most of the people who are the loudest, are the most extreme, and hate makes them blind to the fact most people are cool as hell.

Best Answer