This answer almost makes me sick. I know how long I've had this issue, and others as well. I've been seriously depressed since I was in the 6th grade. My mother even longer. Are people afraid to think that someone can feel as low as you can for years? Do they just deny it or think that we are trying for attention? Do they think we are not trying? These past year I put a serious effort into getting better. Bought clothes I like. Got a new doctor. Medication was fixed. Trying to get outside more and be generally more open and honest. And yet with all this, I still feel like **** and I've thought about suicide MORE!
Blitzingtakin Blitzingtakin 22-25, M 18 Answers Dec 26, 2012 in Depression

Everything is temporary. Life is temporary. I am also one of those who has had issues with depression for many years. However, during those years there have been many better times than others. Every person in life has certain things they have to deal with. For some, depression is just one of those items. For others, it maybe having some physical handicap or disability. Not trying to be fatalistic here, but realistic. I found that once I accepted I was going to have depression forever and then started to learn how to work with it as best as I could, that my outlook changed. Did it cure it, heck no. But did accepting that it was going to be there and not dwelling on the fact that I am still depressed make me feel a bit less depressed? Yes, it did.

Best Answer

I'd say this is the most reasonable answer here. It's also how I feel life actually works, although that makes me feel much worse honestly. It really depends if accepting means I stay how I am, stuck in a rut but complaisant or able to actually progress somewhat.

Best Answer

they have an attention span only as long as their wilingness to be understanding and show interest, which is not very long at all, since self presentation is primary in most peoples needs, not the absorption of the need of others to reach out for help. they will not allow that depression is ongoing in many cases, and mistakenly assume it can be turned off with a well turned phrase or upbeat notion. they haven't a clue what it is really like or what affects it has on people.

Best Answer

Because they have never had to deal with despression or they are afraid to admit it...they just turn a blind eye to it until something happens and then their stupid f*cken comment is...."theres notging that bad". Or "I wished they would have said something"....or "if i would have known i would have done something to help"...

They WERE saying something the best way they could!!!!

And you wouldnt have sone sh*t except tell them to suck it up and move on!!

Yeah...thats what we/the person whi is depressed really wants to hear trust me!!

That kind of stuff p*sses me off

Best Answer

It's convienent for everybody. For the doctors, for the suffererers, for family and friends. I don't think it always true is though.

Best Answer

Lack of understanding in some people because theres still a stigma around depression and mental illness- for the longest time my own family didnt get me, but they eventually came around. There will be times where the urge to kill yourself will be stronger, but its not permanent. I suggest in the meantime you keep your mind occupied with positive thinking, its not easy, trust me but its a welcome distraction.

Best Answer

Because for some people who have situational or topical depression, it is temporary. For those that suffer from long term depression it may not be temporary. Even on medication, people forget that a person is not cured, just medicated. The condition is being managed through medication.

Best Answer

There's different kinds of depression. Some of it is temporary. Some is not.

Best Answer

wow - - dunno what to say 'cept after my brothe died in my arms, buried my father 3 months later THEN broke my hip a good friend said to me " i'm GLAD to hear your a little depressed - it shows a connection to REALITY" ........ so maybe you should skip the doctors, the meds and the excuses and GET A GRIP........just sayin' ........most often it's a choice to be happy or not........

Best Answer

My entire point flew right over your self righteous head. I am not depressed because like is ****. There have been plenty of times where life is good. Doesn't mean I feel any better.
I DO NOT HAVE TOPICAL DEPRESSION.

Best Answer

you don't have a point - - you just want attention - - pay your doctors and the med companies for it - - but don't come begging for it around me unless you want to do something about it yourself - - it's pathetic at best .....and i DO say this kindly - - really i do with big hugs....

Best Answer

Well this just proves you didn't even read past the title. I've already addressed everything you mention. Please go **** somewhere else you self righteous, bigoted ****.

Best Answer

Well Depression is temporary when it comes to manics

other than that my only suggestion is get a dog

Best Answer

I think it's because they don't understand it.

Best Answer

Hope

Best Answer