Like you say, there are times when you need to distinguish the two and those tend to be the times when people actually use "forward slash". (Unless they're IT people and are just so used to using it that they use it all the time.) Otherwise, people *do* say "slash", for example when talking about web addresses.<br />
So relax and stop hanging out with computer geeks so much. :)

Best Answer

When do people NOT use forward slash?

Best Answer

(stares into empty space)

Best Answer

It is used to distinguish from back slash...simple.

Best Answer

But the back slash is hardly EVER used.

Best Answer

For the same reason people say "hot water heater" (i.e. why would you heat water that is already hot?). It's just what they heard all the time, either growing up or once they got into the computer world.

Best Answer

Thats a good point haha

Best Answer

Because of the possibility, as rare as it is, of someone meaning "backlash". Nothing wrong with being precise.

Best Answer

There is a forward slash and a backward slash in the computer world. it is relevant in computer commands.

Best Answer

I use the word oblique, so I assume they use it for people who haven't got a good vocabulary.

Best Answer

That's a very nice word. I thought that was some sort of ballet dance move...

Best Answer

It just means. slant. I heard forward slash on tv when a website was advertised. The world really is dumbing down. I see uni students with degrees and they can hardly spell the most basic words. I don't know what schools are teaching, these days.

Best Answer

Should we not give numbers names either and just call them all numbers?

Best Answer

because there are two slashes.

Best Answer

Why do people call it "dot" instead of what it actually is -- a period. period. periods....

Best Answer