...when they say they don't believe in God or Jesus in the first place? Also, is "gees" or "sheesh" short for "Jesus"? Did you know we all will be judged for ever utterance that comes from our mouth? Do you think God will question this about us, do you think he won't? I think he'll question even "pfft" as in, what did you mean when you spoke this from your mouth? Are they just words, or are they something more concrete and making us who we actually are?
idolno1 idolno1 41-45, M 19 Answers Nov 3, 2012 in Religion

The odd part about using the lords name in vain is that it states it quite clearly in the ten commandments, not to do this. I went to church with a friend and while leaving the church later that morning he stated loudly, "Jesus Christ, that priest went on forever". Clearly, his religion has little real meaning.<br />
However, the really odd part is that the commandment exists in the first place. It would not be in there, in the ten commandments, if it weren't a problem from thousands of years ago. I just wonder what swear word they were using 5,000 years ago? In ancient Greece, were they swearing, "Ah, Zeus Damn it!".

Best Answer

You have to go back further than that, when sin was introduced into man's life. It is "sin" that separates us from God, hence God having to create "rules" for us to follow to reconnect with him. Now since trying to live righteously on our own can never be achieved, he sent his son Jesus to die for us giving us the "New" testament. Now we only have to believe in his son and follow his example and we are saved. He saves us and we are not dependent on saving ourselves any longer. Doens't mean we go out and live the way we want though. We still have to follow God's law.

Best Answer

I would assume god has bigger fish to fry. If not well then I don't think I like God.

Best Answer

He's not the police, he's God, he sees all and know's all.

Best Answer

You are kind of doing a disservice to god by making him look like an annoying, authority drunk hall monitor.

Best Answer

There are ton's of people doing a disservice to God right now, do you think that'll stop God from completing anything he sets forth, I don't think so? In the end, God will read your heart and see it's condition on judgement day. Unless you are covered by the blood of Jesus Christ unto which he makes you appear holy unto God. Basically, there is nothing you or I can do to hinder what God set out to do, just won't happen.

Best Answer

I think your a retard and the cause of world povity and most of the kiddy fiddlin. So you shove as many of your gods up your as s ss and try spending some time think bout how to stop young children starving all over your world. thanks and may your god bless you.

Best Answer

How does this help starving children exactly? Are you even fit in helping starving children, or any child for that matter with your filthy mouth? As a parent, I wouldn't want your help at all.

Best Answer

F u k up murderer.

Best Answer

Oh man...

Best Answer

What man you talking about?

Best Answer

Oh Brother...

Best Answer

Where are thou?

Best Answer

Oh No...

Best Answer

You did it again?

Best Answer

Oh Man...

Best Answer

You said that already...

Best Answer

Comes full circle

Best Answer

What circle?

Best Answer

OH CRAP!!!!

Best Answer

You messed your pants again?

Best Answer

I did?

Best Answer

You're on your own with that one... XD

Best Answer

whats wrong with sheesh?

Best Answer

I just liked to know why we do it? What is it's meaning? "Sheesh" isn't an official word of the English language. So what does it mean? Is it an utterance of "Jesus", as in "Sheesus"? Or what do you think it means? To me, it's the same as "Geez" "Sheesh" "Jesus" Jesus Christ", when we blurt out these words when were angry or annoyed. I just wonder why we do it?

Best Answer

When i think of sheesh i don't think of jesus or god at all, just picked it up along the way.
**** isn't part of the official english language ether but people say it..

Best Answer

Well. I think it's because regardless of whether you believe or not, Jesus and God have had such a major impact on this earth, that they are used as substitutes for expletives. Even, "for crying out loud" refers to Christ on the cross. There's just something about that name. ; )

Best Answer

I know you're catching some flack for this question, but it gave people the opportunity to sound off on how they felt about the matter. I'm not a religious person but I know that everybody sins one way or the other. Why trifle?

Best Answer

I myself am not bothered by catching "flack" as you say, it comes with the territory of living the "life." So you think this topic has very little value to ones salvation?

Best Answer

Had a "major" impact on earth, he only created it. Wow, didn't know about "crying out loud" now that I know, I'll be sure never to say that, or to start teaching myself to not say that again, thanks for that.

Best Answer

Like I said. I'm not a religious person, as far as I'm concerned religion is the devils favorite weapon. I don't believe in the jealous petty murderous temper tantrum throwing god, that would have forty two kids mauled by a bear for making fun of a bald prophet, or have a man killed for gathering firewood on Saturday.

Best Answer

He's just god, he's a god of war unto which you don't want to be on the receiving end of his wrath. Remember that movie, "Billy Madison" when he told that kid "you know how badly I can beat you right?" Yeah, it's kinda something like that! Nah just kidding! lol

Best Answer

All those people did the same thing your doing now, mocking God, tempting God, and questioning his authority. Believe you me, you're no match for God. Would you walk up to a professional wrestler and call weak, stupid, and violent, I don't think so.

Best Answer

Everything you have to say is based on a collection of ancient manuscripts written by several different people. When have I mocked God? His children misbehave in the most horrid ways, and the picture that's painted of him can't be correct. It's just what some people choose to believe. The garden of eden story was borrowed from the Sumerians as was the story of the flood, and the earth is not 6 to 12 thousand years old.

Best Answer

A book that has been threatened with extinction, but his word will never pass away. Don't you think if it is what YOU say it is, it would have been forgotten about by now?

Best Answer

No because it's a source of power for rulers and a source of religion for the people.

Best Answer

I think your confusing people who have taken advantage of other people using God as a tool for just that. Religion is a group of people who perform ceremonies and practice traditions, christianity is not, it is all about having a personal relationship with your god.

Best Answer

People keep talking about a personal relationship with God. I talk to God practically every day. Jesus said that the believers in Him would do greater things than he did. Mark said believers would handle poisonous snakes, heal the sick, and be immune to poison. Have you seen any of this? Anyway I think I'm not as unholy as you think I am, and you're not as pious as you think you are. We're just 2 among seven billion having a discussion about one religion out of thousands.

Best Answer

I believe anything is possible with just a small amount of faith. I've seem demon's being cast out, prayers being answered at that very moment. Handling of poisonous snakes, I'll use my common sense cause I don't see the point in doing that. As far as me thinking you being "unholy" I can't comment on that, that is between you and God. As far a the "thousands" of "religions", the rest are "man-made" this is a "relationship" with God and not religious at all. The only god that states he is the first and the last, the king of kings and the lord of lords, and is alive unto which he will return one day. What other god do you know who has made such a claim?

Best Answer

Sounds terrific, but just about every religion claims exclusivity as the pathway to enlightenment. The Muslims claim that theirs is the only true religion.( I'm real critical of that particular religion.) I used to be on fire for Jesus until I read the bible enough to find all the discrepancies. The one that really sticks out for me, is the Hebrew God's behavior in light of the fact that He is omniscient. I'm not questioning God or Jesus, I'm questioning biblical accounts. Even the bible says that the bible has discrepancies in Jeremiah 8:8. I believe in creator God and I believe in Jesus, it's just that the math doesn't add up as far as biblical accounts are concerned. I spent many years witnessing and alienating myself from friends and family because of my zeal, Honestly I miss that continuous song of praise that was in my heart, but I've come to judge religion by what it has wrought in the earth, and the three Abrahamic religions have left mostly blood and misery.. If you look through EP, you will see that I defend Christianity more often than I criticize, and I know of all the good things that the body has done, like building hospitals, and clothing , feeding, and housing the destitute, digging wells, and so on, but I draw back when it comes to primitive superstitions and justification for atrocities.

Best Answer

Because #@%*&!!!! is considered rude in polite company.

Best Answer

I think a lot of people say it without even thinking about God. The most I ever say is 'oh my gosh' and I try not to say it too often. Trust me, I definitely believe in God: I'm Catholic. It's a bit of a habit that is the result of living in a secularised place.

Best Answer

It has to go somewhere....

Best Answer

Well then, why not Satan-Damn, Dog-damn, or something else? Why does it have to be "God's" name, or Jesus's name? How do you think, or who made it so to be something so accepted in society today?

Best Answer

gawd damn that`s insightful!

Best Answer

You're a "witty" person, never saw that coming. [rolls eyes]

Best Answer

They are just words ... I wouldn't overthink it ...

Best Answer

I beg to differ, if you used certain words together in a sentence with the leader of our country, good chance you'll have certain authorities knocking at your door. If it were so, it wouldn't be such a big deal, but it is.

Best Answer

I doubt very much that "authorities" would be upset about those kinds of words .. they care about the intent .. not just the words. They're your hangups not everyone else's.

Best Answer

Take the place of cursing gosh darnit.

Best Answer

You have to be careful with substitution as well, saying "shitaki" instead of "$h$t, still stems from your heart, so you still actually mean the substituted word at heart. In other words, you might as well say the curse word.

Best Answer

I look at it as having respect for my God in not saying or even thinking those things which stem from the heart.

Best Answer