You ever wonder why it seems to be only men and not women. (at least I never saw a purple nose on a woman)
angelsamongus angelsamongus 56-60, F 16 Answers Apr 20, 2009

The short answer to your question is because the small capillary veins in their noses and faces break.<br />
Interestingly, this happens to persons that do not treat high blood pressure in their early life, and others that have kidney, liver, or heart damage.

Best Answer

True, purple nose is not always due to alchohol intake. This may be one - and only one - of the causes. The supply of oxygen to the smaller capillaries is irregular, causing them to burst which gives the red/purple colour, but this is due to the heart, which supplies blood to the capillaries, working harder than normal because of damage. So people with a heart condition - who never drink alchohol - may have this purple nose. It is very distressing when people assume it is due to over-indulgence or alchohol abuse.

Best Answer

These are called "gin blossoms" and certainly not as pretty as what the name sounds like. W.C. Fields certainly knew how to sport them. Check him out and it might be great incentive to stay away from the hootch.

Best Answer

I did not know they were called "Gin Blossoms" like the band. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Best Answer

Broken capillaries cause the appearance of purple nose. Women wear make-up to cover theirs.

Best Answer

Its so their noses will glow in the dark, to light their way home after a binge.<br />
Hehehe!

Best Answer

I guess Rudolph the reindeer is an alcoholic then? lol

Best Answer

I was always told, as a young pup, "when yer' passed out drunk, for 121/2 hours, the Purple Nose Weasel can smell yer'breath an'comes along to stomp on yor' nostrils to get yor' muoth to shut up real- good-like". An thats what really happens. The vscious stomping is whut dose it.

Best Answer

Who cares. Or another way to look at it is, that is your sign not to get involved with anyone later in life who has a purple nose. They have an alcoholic problem

Best Answer

Studies have shown that the more you drink,<br />
the more you'll like the colour purple...<br />
as well as your nose.<br />
So logic dictates that after drinking a lot,<br />
you'd want your nose to look purple.<br />
Hence, the purple nose.

Best Answer

Is it because they fall on their noses a lot while drunk?

Best Answer

Blood vessels and capillaries in the face and nose are far smaller and as such, burst easier. It's just one of the first outward signs of a long history of alcohol abuse (and if youre drinking enough to get a red nose, then you ARE abusing alcohol, despite what your denial may be telling you). If Your nose is red, chances are your liver's like pate, if not scarred from cirrhosis & you are drinks away from irreparable nerve-damage. If you have a red nose, now would be a good time to stop.

Best Answer

Not always is the purple-red-pinkish color from alcohol. Here are a few examples of a few things that could cause the issue. Makeup is normally why you do not see it on women. <br />
If very dark, most commonly they are broken capillaries and vessels due to liver damage, heart damage, and/or kidney damage. The heart which supplies blood to the capillaries, is working harder than normal because the damage. This causes issues with oxygen being supplied to the smaller capillaries, and causes them to burst. If you notice a life long alcoholic you will notice that it does not stop at the nose, it will also make it to the cheeks, neck, etc. <br />
Also, picked/squeezed/pinching of the nose to remove blackheads can cause capillaries and vessels to burst. Hard abrasive wash cloths can cause this type of damage as well. Most dermatologists will tell you to wash your face with a very gentle soap, with your hands only, and do not wipe your face dry, but rather pat it dry to cut down on abrasion.<br />
Rosacea is a chronic skin condition that makes your face turn red and may cause swelling and skin sores. Most commonly appears as blotchy red and pinkish areas, that are normally very dry. People effected with Rosecea typically have more issues with it during the cold winter months, where the skin is irritated from the cold weather and dry heat when moving indoors to outdoors. Scarves and face protection can help. Also SPF creme can help in some circumstances but please contact a medical professional before applying anything to an irritated area of the skin.<br />
In response to what Shellfinder posted above, the term is Rosacea, not Roseola. Roseola is a viral infection that effects small children under the age of 2 normally. Roseola (Exanthema subitum) is a skin rash that has several common names, namely "3 Day Fever" or "Baby Measles". Roseola can bring very high fever to young children. There is no specific vaccine against or treatment for Roseola, and most children with the virus are not seriously ill. A child with fever should be given plenty of fluids to drink. Acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil) could be given to reduce their temperature, but NEVER EVER USE aspirin for a child's fever, due to the risk of Reye's Syndrome.

Best Answer

My boyfriend has a dark nose, he's a heavy drinker, is there a way to get rid of this?

Best Answer

I hate to say this, but if you love your boyfriend, you may want to find him help with his alcoholism disease. This is best way to get rid of it. Not only will it help with his dark nose, but it will help heal his vital organs and allow him to live a long life. Alcohol, although legal, is one of the most destructible things a person can use if not in moderation. It will cause family problems, personal problems, work problems, and more problems about everything. Believe me, I've been sober for 3 years now and I know how it will effect his life and those around him. Typically those who love him the most. I'm sorry about his disease, but he may want to seek counselling for it. Alcoholism is a disease, not a choice and it will cause many more problems than just a dark nose.

Best Answer

Just wanted to say that I happen upon this article today. You have given me a small amount of inspiration to keep my head above water. I hope that this comment does the same for you. Thanks!!!! ( 1 yr sob)

Best Answer

I believe the medical term is called Roseola. True the capillaries are broke. <br />
Well, its something to consider when you drink.<br />
It will go away when you stop, I think.

Best Answer

Bloody Hell! I hope not!!! I dont want a red hooter! I may cut down just a tad!

Best Answer

drinking too much bring much damage to the liver, and heart, purple nose is a sign of low o2, which could be the result of lungs working too hard to push the blood through the circulartory system

Best Answer

Add a response...

Best Answer