IQ is only a measure of potential. It is kind of like Donald Trump and his wealth, he really owns nothing he is leveraged to the hilt but if he had to pay all the money he borrowed all at once he wouldn't have anything to show for it.
IntangibleAsset IntangibleAsset 46-50, M 18 Answers Nov 18, 2012 in Pet Peeves

Same reason some people like to use their body parts as avatars :)

Best Answer

lol this is gold

Best Answer

People boasting on the internet about having a high IQ, quite likely don't.

Best Answer

Those aren't people with above average IQ's. Those are just people with big mouths.

Best Answer

talking for myself. All my life, my mother compared my with my sister and always put me down because I didn't like school and didn't get good grades like her. So I naturally thought I was kinda of dumb. When I was 33, I ha my first opportunity to go to a carreer college and I was actually shocked that I got 100% on all but two papers in two years. It was the biggest boost to my self esteem and I told my friend that I really didn't know how I did it because I'm kinda dumb. She had me take an IQ test and I scored 175, which is genius. I was so excited but shocked and though I believed it for the moment I still for the most part think I'm dumb. Every once in awhile, I get on the net and take an IQ test again and even though I'm now testing at 121 whoch is till above average, when I test and see that I am not as dumb as mom said, I have to post it. Sorry if you have a problem with it, But for me it is a way to remember that not everything my mom told me about myself is true. I am inteligent and I am proud if it. and I'm not ashamed to feel proud.

Best Answer

My IQ is above average and have never felt the to tell anyone anything !

Best Answer

we do ?

Best Answer

I don't wish to create harm, "phoebe55" said it very well.<br />
People who have to cite these things, are often shocked and need to tell others, it is sort of an insecurity pressure valve thing. The people that don't like them, misunderstand them.<br />
It is true, that any test of this kind is sort of misleading, it is something like the unfair nature of asking someone who has never finished high school to take a test for say a college graduate level physics class. Those few who have someone they talk to about the subject are going to do well, for the rest they will not. And much of IQ is dependent on cultural knowledge, which is a false indicator of intelligence. The argument for the test, is that it is a kind of bench mark. It gives you the ability to see if someone could be successful in some profession or would fail in it. <br />
Ultimately everyone wants to feel good, and advertising your high score is an inexpensive way of accomplishing your goal of "feeling good".

Best Answer

Because we are smart and we want you to know it. Just kidding.

Best Answer

I have an IQ of 157 (wisc iii long) and I tell people all the time. I am also borderline aspergers (some people say yes, others say no). I am proud to know that I am the smartest person(statistically) I will ever meet. I have low self esteem and high self confidence. About 80% of the time upon meeting and conversing with a new person, (If I do not declare how smart I am) they will stop and tell me how smart I am. I tell them to save time...Hello I am Dustin and My IQ is 157. I do not want people to interpret my aspergers for slowness. I tell people so that they can know; They are talking with a genius, Blanks are left for them to fill in(and that does not mean that i did not), I will change topics, speak in analogies and drive a topic from a to z with out any explanation. Pride may play a part but I don't think so, to me it almost seems a formality.

Best Answer

I'm going to guess that it is because it is something that makes them feel good about themselves. It is no different than a good looking person boasting about their looks or the problems that their looks cause. If you think that good looking people don't, just remember a picture is worth a 1000 words and think about all the attention seeking avatars. I've run across a woman that complains about the attention her breasts get, but if you look at her avatar, it was made clear she loves advertising them.

Best Answer

I've never heard anyone brag about their IQ

Best Answer

Pride. The desire to be admired and to be esteemed. <br />
Of course it mostly has the opposite effect. <br />
As the old saying goes " No body likes a smart ***"

Best Answer