I can understand that they need assistance. But some of the stuff they do is just outright condescending. This seems especially true with autism, mental retardation, dementia, schizophrenia, personality disorders, ect. It seems like many people act like their hapiness is unimportant, or saying they have no clue what makes them happy. It seems like all many people want to do is hide these people, use "proper" treatments, drug them up, or force them into some cookie cutter personality.
ratburn ratburn 18-21 14 Answers Apr 6, 2012

Basically we are like any of you. We want the same things. Love , respect ,a job, an education , independence,friends, sex, money. We face the double burden of mental illness PLUS the soul destroying effect of stigma.My diagnosis is paranoid schizophrenia . Most people would associate this with violence but the FACT is that we are no more violent than the general population . In fact we are more likely to be VICTIMS of violent crime than perpetrators. The problem is the media sensationalizes the occasional violent crimes a tiny minority commits and lumps us all together as committing bizarre violent acts. I'm 50 now , I was diagnosed in 1980 when I was 19 years old . I have never laid my hand on another fellow human since I was 20 years old. I think my last violent act was throwing a cereal bowl at another guy who was spitting close to me deliberately trying to antagonize me.Now live in my own studio apartment with my cat. I wake up at 5:00 am three days a week and drive to work come home feed my cat straighten up a little bit , fix myself dinner and watch a little TV or a"Friends " DVD and relax. Not exactly a bizarre crazy lifestyle is it. ?

Best Answer

I worked w/a girl who had your diagnosis and she is awesome. She is using her illness and teaching people about it at work. She went to HR and told them this is what I have and this is what I want to teach people more about. She asked them if she could be put in a position that will help educate people. The company I worked for did just that and she is successful at what she does. I just wish someone would diagnose me w/something because I have no idea what the hell I have.

Best Answer

as always..as in everything...there is always a % off people who are arseholes...this type of behaviour is not soley kept for mental health issues..lets add some of the others...the aged, physically disabled, the poor, single mothers, the uneducated..to name but a few..

Best Answer

Because most the time the people taking care of them are unhappy with their jobs (getting minimum wage), don't have the patience, or understanding to deal with someone that can not do much for themselves. It's like they just like to put on a gown to make it look like they are a professional but don't wanna do their duties.

Best Answer

To me it is ignorance. My next to the youngest has struggled most of her life with a "mental disability". I even hat that term. As I explained it to her when she was 10, there is nothing "wrong" with her. The only problem is her brain works differently than other peoples, and we have to try to find ways to help her with that. What really ticks me off is when people, especially medical professionals, do not listen to what she is saying when she tells them she is in pain, etc. They have this predetermined mentality that because she has had and has problems she is "imagining" or "making it up". A diagnosis does not make someone a certain way. The diagnosis is for doctors to use to report to insurance companies to get paid for their services. Our society has determined a name has to be attached in order to get help. The reality is they are treating symptoms a majority of the time.The diagnosis attached to the paperwork does not make any difference to me. My daughter is my daughter, perfect to me, who suffers from a brain which works differently from most people. Yes, she has to adjust to society most of the time, because society will never adjust to her. I love her so dearly and hate to see her suffer. For any and all out there who have been diagnosed with some type of mental disability diagnosis, remember the diagnosis does not make you who you are.

Best Answer

You should try being bipolar; every mofo thinks they know how to cure your depression and every mofo thinks they know what your depression is like and that somehow, in your shoes, they'd just pull themselves together and get on with it.<br />
Even worse every mofo thinks they know how to manage your depression and "helpful" advice is always dumped on you.

Best Answer

Exactly, I'm depressed all the time and hate it when people say, "Oh, just be happy" I would love to know what goes on in their brain that they can "Just be happy".

Best Answer

For the same reason people with no dignity are often treated as if they have a mental disability. Their behavior and actions often influence how others around them respond.

Best Answer

Dignity is internal. Respect is external. If they have no dignity, it is something that ultimately only they can fix. Respect is not in their control, and most of us tend to limit our respect for those who make us uncomfortable.

Best Answer

Very well said and explained. I will keep this in consideration on how my body language and what I say to people to gain respect so internally I can feel confident that my impression will serve me some dignity.

Best Answer

It's human nature to minimize what you don't understand...it makes people uneasy.

Best Answer