Seriously, they are so boring to read... Without rhymes it is basically just a short story.
KnightOfJustice KnightOfJustice 18-21, M 12 Answers Oct 13, 2012 in Hobbies

Because a poem is not only rhyming

Best Answer

I'm aware, but the poems I've read that don't have rhymes are so terribly tedious to read.

Best Answer

Okay but that's your opinion I don't think so

Best Answer

Because not all poems have to rhyme and there are such things as narrative poems. If they are well-written they won't be boring.

Best Answer

More like narrative bull ****, it's not that hard to make things rhyme.

Best Answer

But when you write a poem you don't want to compress the lines into a form that they do not fit into. You write the lines the way they sound right to your ears. Maybe the ones you are reading did not flow and the deeper meaning was not there O.o..or the person who wrote them wasn't going for any kind of rhythm. Check out an old Anglo-Saxon poem called, "The Wanderer" it doesn't really rhyme but it uses other techniques that make it sound beautiful.

Best Answer

I find beauty and meaning in the rhymes, and in my opinion without rhymes, all there are is just words.

Best Answer

Not sure how it's either of those, I have read both kinds and only enjoyed the ones that had rhymes, I was open minded towards the non rhyming ones but never enjoyed them.

Best Answer

That's probably just what you like then Knightofjustice. I love poetry but there are certain poems that I just cannot stand like pretty much all of Langston Hughes' poetry. It's just your personal preference ^_^

Best Answer

When I read poems that don't rhyme they just don't feel very poetic, if anything they just feel dramatic and dull.

Best Answer

i just watched, or should i say heard the Anglo-Saxon Poetry: The Wanderer! on you tube.
thank you ^_^

Best Answer

Well, that's your style then. You like musical poetry that sounds almost like a song ^_^ I have read some great poetry that doesn't rhyme too though :o...like Epic poetry.

Best Answer

Poems need not rhyme. As long as they have a form that lends themself to what you are trying to create.

Just last night I read three poems that were mangled and mutilated abominations of human speech, but their authors made darn sure they rhymed! It you have to sacrifice meaning and form to make it rhyme, you're losing the poem.

Best Answer

True poetry is mastering the art of rhymes and meaning, and being able to fuse them together to create true art.

Best Answer

because they dont have to sacrifice meaning over rhythm

Best Answer

Haiku's are easy! :)

But sometimes they don't make sense :(

Refrigerator :/

Best Answer

they express feelings and some times rhymes cant do that

Best Answer

Poems aren't all about rhymes but the thoughts that they contain. But I find rhyming poems more interesting. Haha :)

Best Answer

Do you mean without end-rhyme, or without any kind of consonance, assonance etc?

I kind of agree that poems that don't contain any kind of play on the sound of the words tend to look a bit pretentious, like someone's put a short story into a funny shape for no particular reason. But there's a lot more ways to play with words than just end-rhyming, and relying solely on that technique makes poems look childish and simplistic as far as I'm concerned.

What distinguishes poetry from prose for me is whether there's a natural rhythm to the words. Poetic techniques are just ways of creating that rhythm.

Best Answer

LOL

Most of my poems rhyme

I just can't help the way I form the line

Best Answer

I love rhymes, I wish everything rhymed.

Best Answer

It can be musical with rhymes!

Best Answer