msalexh msalexh 31-35, F 29 Answers Oct 2, 2012 in Community

The US routinely pays dictators billions and supports them with weapons and even threatened to bomb poor little Haiti back into the stone age when they elected a socialist president. It's said the US is an enemy you can trust and a great place to live, but you wouldn't want to be our neighbor. We're not the evil empire, but tough to like much less love. Modern day Rome actually.

Best Answer

I'm sorry - I googled it 10 different ways and never found a serious military intervention threat regarding Haiti anywhere. Can you provide a link? As for the "pays dictators" well we say what happened when we stopped propping up the Shah of Iran. Is the world better off? How about the "arab spring' stuff where country after country that deposed their leader is steadily falling under the influence of radical Islam? Do we think that makes the world safer? Everyone wants to hate the only adults in the room - but it's pretty easy to forget that things could be a lot worse if we stopped caring.

Best Answer

Look up Jean-Bertrand Aristide. Puppet dictators are a dime a dozen and every imperialistic power in the world uses them including not least of all the US. It has nothing to do with what is the interest of the people and everything to do with what is in the best interest of the empire and the international conglomerates. This is basic world history 101 and I suggest you actually learn the basics of international politics before forming an opinion on the subject.

Best Answer

Wuliheron and my Haitian father are right. :)

Best Answer

ah, the removal of a military junta. You are correct and I do stand corrected. How funny - I'm a poli sci major who just retired from 20 years of doing analysis for a major company and should have remembered that. A big part of my background is in things like this. The US operation to remove a military junta in Haiti was in response to a patently illegal and destructive military takeover of a civilian government. If the same thing happened in the United States (or Canada) I'd pray another country would come in and help. The US government stops the toppling of an elected president by a military group. How very evil of us!!!

Best Answer

Aristide accused the US of instigating the military cue in the first place and the US wouldn't leave Haiti alone if they paid us to leave them alone. Again, puppet dictators are a dime a dozen and the US has supported countless dictators and overthrown countless governments whenever it is to our advantage. As far as I'm concerned that is neither good nor bad, just a fact of life in a dog-eat-dog international scene where everyone is afraid the other guy will take over the world. However, it is a major reason people in other countries resent us and I certainly can't blame them for that.

Best Answer

Well, I'll agree that Superpowers use small countries like pawns in a bigger game. (I think I said that below.) I'll say again though that people in Korea, Kuwait, the Kurds, etc. all were happy to have us there. Even the Iraqi's outside of the cities like us better than life under Saddam and we totally screwed that one up. What some might call "bullying" looks an awful lot like preventing another killing fields situation to those who are in the countries in question. Go ask the kurds what it was like to have their villages gassed and if they were happier when the US stuck their noses in and stopped it. Go ask the Kuwaitis in the appreciate out driving Saddam and the Iraqi's back? Heck, ask the Japanese right now if they appreciate the US being on their shores now that China is beating the war drums.

Best Answer

Those same grateful people in the middle east also resent the US intervention in Israel and know perfectly well they are pawns in a larger game. Their resentment is genuine, they have every reason to be resentful, and feeling like helpless pawns at the mercy of strangers only adds to the resentment. That's what this thread is all about, not why they might also feel grateful in some ways.

Best Answer

Well, the people in the middle east could solve this problem. it's been said that if the moslems were to lay down their arms there would be no more war - but if Israel were to lay down theirs, there would be no more Israel. There's a parable there that's hard to argue with. To say that the jews don't belong in the middle east is silly - and yes while the jews took some land in a war in the 60's they are hardly the first country or the last in the region to take some. Other countries also took land from the Palestinians but there doesn't seem to be a lot of outrage there.

Best Answer

LOL, we supply them the guns! The US doesn't want to play full time nanny to them and they spend much more time killing each other than westerners. They feel the same way many Americans do that you can have their guns when you pry them from their cold dead fingers.

Best Answer

I am british and I don't dislike the US totally. In fact I love quite a lot of its culture. I think a lot of people misunderstand the US.

People think of the US over here like Hollywood. Which is fake. Others will directly think about the US Government and the controversy of it.

Its much like what I believe most Americans think about the UK. They think the stereotypes and thats about it. Which is totally wrong. We don't all sound the same, and we don't all drink tea. And I don't shagsheep -_-

Best Answer

For jalacy and for some US foreign policies....

BTW, I love US and each n every country in the planet.

Best Answer

Because were busy bodies ,we cant mind our own business and travel all over the world proving it

Best Answer

All the jealous ones who want what we have but don't want to work for it. Funny how all countries have people leaving them and wanting to come to the USA.

I know you libs hate America, so why don't you make yourselves happy and go live in the workers paradises of Cuba and Yemen, Maybe Iran or Iraq?

Best Answer

I love Cuba! I got a cheap direct fly, cost of living was cheap, and when I got sick, they took great care of me.

Best Answer

Wow is that really what you think? You think you can chalk all negative feelings about the US around the world to jealousy? Nothing to do with our foreign policy?

Best Answer

Tjs - Every big country has a foreign policy that treats smaller countries as pawns. Ask Eastern Europe about Russia or the Koreans about China. Our foreign policy is not different than the Chinese arming Korea to the teeth, Iran providing weaponry to Hezbollah, and Russia giving cover to Syria.

Best Answer

Thanks Twyla, I'll be traveling back to Cuba some time in the future. FYI: I'm Canadian, thanks for showing your ignorance for others.

Best Answer

What is "ignorant" about that statement? (Nothing.) LIberals love throw the word ignorant around to anyone who has a very different opinion than them just to sound superior. Gosh, sorry I forgot a minor military buildup that happened close to 20 year ago, but having spent time in Cuba, I still think you'd be a fool to live there.

Best Answer

I said you were ignorant because you assumed I was a liberal. Making it sound like I'm an American, which I am not nor liberal. Second, the comment you made I should go back to Cube was offensive in many ways. If you cannot understand why, then who's more superior than who?

Best Answer

*Cuba

Best Answer

it's a game from kindergarten called king of the castle. right now america sits on top of the hill and everybody else wishes it was them. soon they'll start to throw rocks...

Best Answer

Some people argue that it is China on top.

Best Answer

This is the real reason. Few hated America when it was protecting the free world during the Cold War. However, when it emerged for the Cold War the lone super power other countries became jealous.

Best Answer

It should be considering how much America depends on their produce to provide our materials, pretty sad how underrated China is.

Best Answer

china might well be on top, but they stay pretty quiet. america is so cocky it just asks to be despised.

Best Answer

I'm sorry, "China stays quiet?" Ask the South Koreans and Japanese their opinions about that. You could ask Nepal too, I guess.

Best Answer

yeah. and tibet.

Best Answer

100 plus years of using military force, economic pressure, covert operations, etc. to force other countries to do what we want.

Best Answer

Which makes us different than every other large country how Chipmunk? Russia does it,China does it, Iran does it, Israel, Pakistan, India, and England do it. Richer countries throughout history have always used their influence to convince smaller countries to to their bidding. Nothing has changed except the munitions involved and the size of the economies.

Best Answer

Didn't say it made us different--if anything we've been more restrained than many superpowers of the past. It still doesn't make us beloved of the people we do it to, which was the question.

Best Answer

I'm sure the Koreans, Kuwaitis, Kurds, Eastern Germans, and Japanese (currently facing down China) would probably disagree with you. Actually, probably about 10 million Iraqi women would probably disagree too.

Best Answer

I can see the reasoning behind the list of nations (though there's an equally large or largest list of nations who would feel the opposite), but why Iraqi women? Last I heard Saddam ran a basically non-sectarian government in which women had rights, got educations, worked, etc.

Best Answer

Because USA isn't as innocent as it portrays we do some pretty damned deeds...not good ones either...

Best Answer

because we are super arrogant and tend to say iam better then you and then just to prove our point we will look it up and research it just to be better in one thing just to push it in some one else face

Best Answer

I must say, not everyone is so patriotic but when I hear Obama or some other dude say "God bless America, the best country in the world" I can't help but be a little annoyed.

Best Answer

IDK but everyone seems to want to come here.

Best Answer

Not true. Not everyone wants to be an American.

Best Answer

Most people want to come to America,when they take a pole in other countries America always ranks very high on the list.

Best Answer

MsAlex, we absorb more immigrants from more countries than any other country in the world. That's just a fact. i'm sure there are more recent statistics, but I know in 2010 we accounted for more than 20% of all immigration - and that's the official number. We both know the porous borders increase the number greatly. Considering that most immigrants have to brave travel over an ocean - no small feat for most poor from third world countries - that's pretty impressive don't you think? That's more than 4 times what the next largest immigration magnet country gets.

Best Answer

Newcomers like your country until they arrive there and realize the high employment rates, high cost of living, messed up foreign affairs, etc. Is it really impressive that your country has that many people? I think not, it sounds over populated and overcrowded.

Best Answer

but people still try so hard to get in and the polls still say america is the place to be.If you don't want to come here that is ok,EP is based in America too so why bother w/an American company?I don't get people knocking it here yet they love all the stuff America has done like make the internet available world wide,provide computers to poor countries,give billions and billions to help other countries.Some people have no appreciation.

Best Answer

I agree that newcomers love your country and I have a vast appreciation for the USA and Americans. I ask these types of questions because I think America is very interesting. My comment was directed to Twyla as she's been rude, has shown no appreciation or respect for my country, and has harassed me several times. Yes, EP is based in America but there are many Canadian resources that used in America or companies in America that are Canadian. Does that mean Twyla shouldn't use them because she trashes Canada? My intention was not to knock the US but when someone criticizes my country, I will defend it, as you would defend yours. Some Americans knock Canada but they fail to recognize the strong partnership between the countries and their lack of appreciation of it.

Best Answer

My Canadian friends all tell this joke "what is the best thing about being Canadian,we have the U.S to protect us,fight a war for us,etc ..various answers to that degree.I do not think anyone knows your from Canada at least I did not and so what if she bashes you ,take with a grain of salt.Don't let stuff get to you.People all over the world want to live here /your country etc.They all want to come to North America...ok better?So don't be so defensive. Twyla is just very pro American as she should be.

Best Answer

I'm don't think I was being defensive, I was just being pro Canadian. That's all. :)

Best Answer

whatever you are being don't let people opinions get you worked up,in the end it doesn't really matter.You have what you have and you do the best you can.No go enjoy some Canadian football and I will enjoy some American football.

Best Answer

LOL. Your football is better!

Best Answer

they think they are all that, but in fact the USA is not the only country on this planet. they think they are so awesome with most of the world's most famous stars who live there. no matter if they are candian, british, australian etc. most live there. and i just dislike them but not ALL the people. some are very nice :)

Best Answer

exactly!!

Best Answer

Brought to you by Air America, and other similar affiliated organizations and funded groups.

Best Answer

because americans think they run the world

Best Answer

Where does one even begin ............

Best Answer

Or end?!

Best Answer

it never ends..........

Best Answer

I think the real answer is that our media and press is the most influential in the world - and they hate Americans.

When you travel abroad, it becomes pretty easy to understand that US media - be it news or entertainment is pervasive world wide.

Be it our tv shows which just about always star corrupt cops, slutty women, politicians on the take etc., or our movies that do the same with more explosions, we almost never look good in they eyes of foreign populations who swarm to movie theaters to see our swill in dubbed languages or buy pirated versions on the street. If you lived in a place like Thailand where all you got were movies where the US Military is shown doing evil things and our history is framed in terms of slavery, attacks on native Americans, etc. you'd have a bad view of us too.

The problem is equally as bad on the news side or even worse. When our new organizations speak out against our government in places where their own governments allow no such thing and actually pump propaganda into the airwaves, it makes us look doubly bad. Imagine a country where speaking out against your king will get your newspaper shut down - then imagine those people reading how our President was doing things with his intern in the oval office that would have a bureaucrat beheaded in their home country.

We can also be our own worst enemies sometimes. Imagine the international news when Washington DC Mayor Marion Barry - who was caught on film smoking crack - was voted back into office, or what happened when Jersey Shore and the Jerry Springer show first showed up in foreign markets. (And believe me - they are broadcast 24/7 in some places in Europe.) Of course they expect the worst of us - we put our own worst side on TV.

The US media is poisonous to our country outside of our borders. Why do people in Europe believe we're all so overweight? It's because we report that on tv ad nauseum. If the Chinese media had near the sway her that ours does there, you'd all hate chinese as loud, wet spitting, cigarette smoke belching eaters of half dead animals they've cooked before killing, but we don't see that side of them because we don't get their tv.

Why do they think of us in terms of slavery? it's because our popular culture wallows in it. Slavery existed in the middle east and still exists in Asia and Africa. What is now called "Fuedalism" in Europe was just slavery under a different name. Only in America though, will you hear it brought up on every talkshow even though it was outlawed long before our Grandfathers were born.

Every country has been bad to their immigrants. Every country has bad habits. (Yes, I'm looking at our and your aversion to Soup Southern Europe.) Every country has corrupt politicians and does things with it's military that occassionally kill innocents. Only in the US with our self-hatred can you see it woven into everything in popular culture.

Best Answer

But not every country polices the world like USA.

Best Answer

That's not exactly true either Ms. Alex. Most countries have their spheres of influence. Got to Nepal, Bhuton, Korea, Japan, Myamar, North Korea, etc. and it's China swinging the big stick. In Eastern Europe it's Russia. Go to the middle east and you'll find Iran, Israel and Syria. The former colonists like France still hold a heavy sway all over Africa. Yes, we've got our fingers in the middle east and back in the 1980s were were heavily involved in South America, but past that, we have some folks in Korea that are in a battle stance but the rest of the troops are just stationed there as part of worldwide peacekeeping and just about always with the invitation and blessings of the governments. You can be darned sure that Kuwait is happy to have us in the area, as is Korea and Japan is too actually otherwise China would probably be bombing them reight now. People want to blame the United States for so many horrible things - but keep and open mind. For fun, go do a bit of research and find out how many muslim countries exist in a state of war with each other or with a non-muslim entity and tell me again what trouble makers we are.

Best Answer

I can't speak for all countries or people in the world and I would not want to. But I know this, there's been many times where the USA has declared wars on impoverished countries and Canadians were sent in to clean it up. I'm tried of seeing my Canadian soldiers die in wars that we didn't start but the states has. If you want to talk about peacekeeping, Canada has a long reputation and history with peacekeeping, this is what we are known for. I think America is interesting but there's been many times they've tried to bully us and other countries. It's not the media that other countries dislike USA, it's their desire to bully everyone.

Best Answer

Which 'impoverished country" would that be Ms. Alex? Iraq certainly isn't impoverished. Afghanistan is primitive, but not third world and not especially broke. Their poppy crop - while admittedly all about drugs - is a huge export and they have the largest concentration of minerals required to make batteries for electric cars in the world. We took out Panama but then left again immediately with very little damage. Same with Grenada. Compare those minor skirmishes to the work the country does. We contribute more to fighting AIDS in Africa than most countries (including Canada) spend on all forms of charitable giving. We are a country that - despite the rhetoric- is made up almost completely of land that was purchased or acquired by peaceful treaty. Your seeming hate for America doesn't really seem to match the facts.

Best Answer

I never said I hated America or Americans. Retread my comments. As for developing countries that America has bullied or had a war with are Haiti, Cambodia, Philippines, Congo, Cuba, Loas, Vietnam...would you like more?
As for contributing to AIDS in Africa, it's such a contradiction to give money to other countries, when so many Americans are opposed to universal healthcare.
Let's be honest here, Canada has a better reputation around the world than USA.

Best Answer

orry. We never did invade Haiti. (We did send in people to help them rebuild after a military junta.) I think there are lots of Vietnamese that are glad we started bombing Cambodia and Laos and sorry we left. I'm sure you've probably heard about the millions slaughtered once we left. As for the Phillipines - you might be talking about the Phillipine American war - a war that happened post annexation. Not exactly a war on a foreign country. You are on much firmer ground on the Congo - admittedly - but do a bit of research about what was going on in that country. If we step in and stop slaughter as we did there, you will find the locals happy we were there, (The comparisons to Kuwait are many.) If something similar was going on in Canada, I bet you'd be happy to see our tanks roll in. I'd hate to think my sons were getting butchered and my daughters were getting raped while a superpower stood by and watched it happen. (It's happening now in Darfur - are the locals getting raped and killed better off that the United States and NATO has kept out of the fray?) I keep saying this - but for all we seem to "mettle" I guess we could stand aside and let people get slaughtered, let democratically elected government fall, etc. but if one stops to think about what would happen if we hadn't acted - or in the case of Vietnam takes a moment to see what happened when we forgot out mission - it's pretty hard to make the case we were the bad guys. Canada has a great little reputation - they stand on the sidelines and hand out milk and cookies and second guess the people doing the work. Congratulations to Canada - the waterboy to the world. As your country starts to grow oil rich, we'll watch over the next 20 years to see how involved you get and how much you develop your own need to protect your wealth. that will be fun.

Best Answer

I never said America invaded Haiti. Like I said earlier, REREAD my comments. I will answer when you accurate comments. We have a great economy, TONS of natural resources, never went bankrupt, strong exports, no corporation bailouts, a very very very little recession, and we can still afford healthcare! Thanks for the concern but looks like our wealth is doing great. I'm worried about your country's debt and people! As for the water boy comment...didn't you say America was giving out money for Aids in Africa? Isn't that a "waterboy" move? So, I guess both our countries are waterboys but other countries just favour mine more.

Best Answer

Billions to stop an epidemic is not "waterboying." It's proactive. Thanks for the concern about the US, but we have natural resources too. Our debt is quite manageable - if we change some spending habits and replace a President that seems to forget that no one ever helped a person looking to sign the back of a paycheck by attacking the people who sign the front. As for Haiti, what you said is "there's been many times where the USA has declared wars on impoverished countries and Canadians were sent in to clean it up." We never declared war on Haiti - we scrambled a few military divisions and amassed some troops at a few forward bases. We do that kind of crap all time - and we did it for very good reason. You Canadians keep standing on the sidelines of history while millions die. I always preferred action myself.

Best Answer

Again, I refer you to reread my comments. I NEVER said America has declared war on Haiti. I will respond when you make accurate comments. Did I say anything about your natural resources? Nope. Again, I will response when you make accurate comments. As for standing on the sidelines...well...you just answered why so many countries dislike America...it's because your country thinks they're doing "pro active" things. I really liked America and now you just left a bad taste in my mouth of what some Americans think and their hatred for Canada.

Best Answer

Yes, the United States gets involved when we see democratic governments get toppled by brutal governments, we respond with aid when we see unchecked AIDS sweeping a continent. When despots like Saddam Hussein attack countries like Kuwait, we respond. We are just such horrible, horrible people. (I guess you'd stand there and watch people get raped and killed.) The classic Neville Chamberlain appeasement move that led to things like WWII and the Holocaust. Good luck with that.

Best Answer

Again, I never said American were horrible people, you said that on your on accord. Again, reread my comments, make accurate statements, and I'll respond. "I guess you'd stand there and watch people get raped and killed" isn't that not a contradiction? Send money abroad to "help" people when so many Americans are suffering or oppressed. Thanks for the comments because all your statements are proof to why so many countries dislike USA.

Best Answer

totally agree with Artattack

if America is so nosy, intrusive and repugnant why do so many people fromother countries want to come here?

Best Answer

Hmmm....the question was why some countries dislike USA?

Best Answer

I would like to know also

Best Answer

Do you really want to be liked by them? Are we that insecure?

Best Answer

Are Americans not insecure?

Best Answer

there are no naturally good or evil countries. But countries who have power can do ****** up things because they can.

Best Answer