for life is the absence of death as death is tbe absence of life.

Best Answer

That's silly. A rock is neither alive nor dead. Therefore your statement is invalid.

Best Answer

but no one refers to a rock when they mention either life or death the statement stands for Death can only be applied to those who live and life can only be applied to those who will one day die.

Best Answer

That's a rather narrow minded way of thinking, good sir. Also to die is to depart from life. It's the end of life, not the absence. So it stands to reason that birth/conception is the opposite.

Best Answer

if it is the end of life thn there is no life, as such is the absence of life. To say that there is no absence of life once departed, that would suggest that there is no absence of death once alive. In which no one can be both. Which further strengthens my argument. For those who are of opposites cannot co exist as one in such a fashion.

You attack me saying that my mindset is narrow yet as I hear from you. All I get is a rock that has never experienced life nor death. An object That cannot die. Something that is beyond invalid. Bring fourth something that would disprove or even beg the question of how life and death are not opposites other thn...A Rock.

Best Answer

I say it's narrow minded because as I pointed out to others, if death is the absence of life then why does no one use it to describe the period BEFORE life? That's why I say it's silly logic. Since death incorporates the transition from life to whatever comes after, even if you say that that which comes after is death, you're still faced with the issue of it not being properly opposite since life does not actually incorporate the act of entering life. They will always be different orders of magnitude no matter how you define them. So I'd say you're argument is still invalid

Best Answer

No one says "hey remember how three years ago my brother was dead, and then he was born a year later?" That would be abnormal. This is why I say you're absolutely wrong.

Best Answer

There's a difference between living and life. When people say "life" is the opposite of death, they're implying something that is living.

Best Answer

That's just how the word 'opposite' is used. Its doesn't make sense, but that's how humans are, they like finding patters and pairing things up, like sun and moon. It doesn't really make sense when you understand what they both are, but people still do it anyway. Most people don't think in a very scientific or logical way.

Best Answer

I shouldn't have given away best answer >.> You're actually the first person to legitimately answer my question <3 You've got no arguments from me :3

Best Answer

The opposite of death is birth, but the opposite of *being* dead, is living.

Best Answer

I like the way you think. Unfortunately, and I really had to think about it, I still can't agree with living being the opposite of being dead ONLY because the orders of magnitude are different. Life is a line segment, but death is infinite. In concept I really want to agree, and really I will freely admit it's only a technicality and I'm a jerk for using that as an argument. Is that fair?

Best Answer

No, it's a decent argument--and coming from me, when I say something is a good argument, it really is a good argument. Ask anyone, and they'll tell you how nitpicky I am when it comes to argument.

Here's what's wrong with it, though.

You would agree that the opposite of "existence" is "nonexistence," right?

For the sake of argument, let's define that Object X exists if and only if Object X is intact. Else, Object X is nonexistent. In other words, if Object X is intact, it exists. If not, it nonexists.

I now build Object X. Object X now exists, correct? Now I disassemble Object X. It is nonexistent now, correct? Object X is never to be rebuilt again. From this perspective, Object X is infinitely nonexistent from that point on, correct? I can also choose not to disassemble Object X, or choose to reassemble Object X after I disassemble it. But by definition, existence is the opposite of nonexistence. And as we have seen, Object X can exist (pardon the tautology) in both opposing states for any given amount of time, including infinite. As such, the finite or infinite states of existence or nonexistence does not play a part in whether or not existence and nonexistence are opposites. Therefore we cannot say that existence and nonexistence are not opposites simply because one uses a finite time scale while the other does not.

In the same way, we cannot use the argument that life and death use different time scales in order to argue that life isn't the opposite of death.

Best Answer

Damn. This truly breaks my heart to say, but you're absolutely right in your argument. I wanted to point out that in the case of nonexistence, it actually encompasses the period before object X existed, however I'd only be falling prey to your ACTUAL argument. You didn't say my argument of life and death is flawed. You said my argument that order of magnitude in terms of time duration was flawed. I concur and truly thank you for that. It's not often that I have someone irrefutably disprove my logic. Consider me impressed.

Best Answer

life is alive. death is dead. if it's not alive it's dead. either one or the other. so.... opposites.

Best Answer

Again.. >.> Rock. Not dead. Not alive.

Best Answer

the rock is irrelevant to the subject. ex: fire is opposite to water... yes? but your rock isn't fire or water. Though fire and water are still opposite.

Best Answer

Invalid. You say death is the state of not being alive. I say that is untrue because a rock is neither alive nor dead. No one says fire is the absence of water. That's just dumb. Also fire and water are really not opposites at all. People just think of them that way. It's kind of silly to say fire and water are opposites. I mean really think about to.

Best Answer

it*

Best Answer

Birth

Best Answer

Nice to know someone has the ability to make reasonable deductions <3

Best Answer

Sounds like it makes perfect sense to many people. Are you always so rude to people who don't see things precisely the way YOU do ?

Best Answer

...

Best Answer

theres life after death

Best Answer